Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #16
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Just a heads up, I had a Mophie power case for my iPod 4th generation that was supposed to double the battery charge. The case was nice looking and feeling and actually made the touch easier to hold by making it fatter. The case of course had a battery in it. Unfortunately, it never worked correctly. You had to switch between case battery and touch battery manually, and the case battery would fully discharge itself over night. After I sold it (case and touch) I learned that Mophie had recalled the case. A little later on they ceased manufacturing it. I would do a lot of research on any of their products before buying one again.
Thats precisely why I am not considering a case. A portable charger is a much better option. I have a friend who has the standard and he loves his, wouldnt be without it (except on the days he forgets to take it with him to work). Because he uses his iphone for work and pleasure, his iPhone 5 battery runs down to nearly dead before he even leaves for the day, and he often has after work commitments as well as a long train commute home.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Thats precisely why I am not considering a case. A portable charger is a much better option. I have a friend who has the standard and he loves his, wouldnt be without it (except on the days he forgets to take it with him to work). Because he uses his iphone for work and pleasure, his iPhone 5 battery runs down to nearly dead before he even leaves for the day, and he often has after work commitments as well as a long train commute home.
I wasn't referring to the type of backup battery as much as the company itself, Mophie. I only had their one product and it never worked as advertised, so I would definitely get reviews from trusted people on any of their products before buying. But it looks like you already did that so it probably will work okay. Let us know how it works when you get one.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyoga View Post
That's a good idea.
I'll definitely give an update in a week or so after I have time to test it out. I'm hoping they are on sale again this coming week. Last week Best Buy had them for $285, but this week they are up to $295. I've got a rewards coupon that will knock off another $5, not much but anything is better than nothing! I will search around to see which store has the best deal, but so far they all seem to be offering them at the same price. Apple products are difficult to find at a discount. I think Apple strictly controls the prices in the various stores.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just FYI: Best Buy has the 32GB iPod touch 5th generation on sale for $280 this week.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

I got an iPod touch 5th generation (black with 32GB) today from Best Buy. Just finished setting it up and transferring/updating my apps, music, movies, a few books, photos, calendar, contacts, email, etc. That took a while! Then I organized all the icons and hopefully I will get the time to start testing the battery discharge time for reading some time today.

BTW, it is very fast and the screen is beautiful! Definitely a huge upgrade from the 4h generation.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Initial Battery Test

So far it is really good. I read for 3 hours with screen brightness level set to apprx. 1/3 and only used 20% of the battery charge. That is the battery discharged from 100% down to 80% after 3 hours.

BTW, I was lucky to get 3 hours of reading total on my iPod touch 4th generation before having to recharge, so this is a HUGE improvement.

EDIT: WiFi was ON during the test.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-12-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

5 Hour Battery Test

I left the iPod touch 5th generation on for 5 full hours by setting the Auto-Lock option to Never. During the entire 5 hour time the WiFi was left ON and the screen brightness level was set to approximately 1/3.

Activities:
Mostly I read via the Kindle app. I also was in and out of a few other apps. I spent about 20 minutes watching streaming TV via the Time warner Cable app. I spent another 20 minutes watching a movie that was previously DLed via iTunes.

Results:
Battery drained only 40% going from 100% down to 60%.

Thoughts:
I'm extremely pleased with the battery discharge time. I own or previously owned the 1st, 3rd, and 4th generation iPod touches. None of these earlier models held a charge very long, and the 4th generation was really bad about discharging in around 3 hours. The 5th generation has obviously been greatly improved and I estimate it will keep a charge all day (10-12 hours) based on my first 5 hour test.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Good info, thanks for posting.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Initial Battery Test

So far it is really good. I read for 3 hours with screen brightness level set to apprx. 1/3 and only used 20% of the battery charge. That is the battery discharged from 100% down to 80% after 3 hours.
Quote:
5 Hour Battery Test

Results:
Battery drained only 40% going from 100% down to 60%.
That's very good to know. Still in two minds, though. Without a properly working Stanza app, I'm not so sure I'd want to use this.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #25
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I got an iPod touch 5th generation (black with 32GB) today from Best Buy. Just finished setting it up and transferring/updating my apps, music, movies, a few books, photos, calendar, contacts, email, etc. That took a while! Then I organized all the icons and hopefully I will get the time to start testing the battery discharge time for reading some time today.

BTW, it is very fast and the screen is beautiful! Definitely a huge upgrade from the 4h generation.
Grabbed one a couple of days ago myself. Not sure I am going to keep it as there will be lots of duplication with my rather nice HTC smartphone. At least I will get to explore iOS on the cheap with a better screen than the mini.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That's very good to know. Still in two minds, though. Without a properly working Stanza app, I'm not so sure I'd want to use this.
Unfortunately Stanza has been left to die a slow death. Personally I haven't used it in a long time as I switched over to the Amazon ecosystem a couple of years ago. There is a new ePub reader app called Marvin that works on the iPad which looks very promising; see thread in this forum. Unfortunately it doesn't look like he has developed a version of the app for the iPhone yet.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Unfortunately Stanza has been left to die a slow death.
I know. I've used Stanza when it was first released and was greatly disheartened when Lexcycle announced they've been bought by Amazon. Alas, even years after Stanza's purchase, I've yet to find a decent replacement on iOS. I've found apps on Android that have come close and were even better than Stanza in certain respects. Unfortunately, the choice of devices is something I'm not liking too much. I've got a Nexus S, a Galaxy Nexus and a slew of Sony Xperias but I find myself reaching for the iPod Touch 4 or iPhone 4 when I want to read.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Yep the battery life seems to be good. I'm getting about 12 hours of continuous use, screen set to 50% brightness, wifi always on, emails pushed every 30 mins. I've been mostly watching videos, streaming video, browsing the net and listening to music. I expect its better than that because I'm still downloading movies/ TV programmes in HD from itunes.

Battery life is significantly better than my galaxy note and probably a bit better than the galaxy tab. Its probably on a par with my old iphone 4.

I was sad to find that Stanza no longer works. When I last used my iphone in March this year it still worked. I used to use it on the iphone 3G too.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 01-01-2013 at 12:59 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Yep the battery life seems to be good. I'm getting about 12 hours of continuous use, screen set to 50% brightness, wifi always on, emails pushed every 30 mins. I've been mostly watching videos, streaming video, browsing the net and listening to music. I expect its better than that because I'm still downloading movies/ TV programmes in HD from itunes.

Battery life is significantly better than my galaxy note and probably a bit better than the galaxy tab. Its probably on a par with my old iphone 4.

I was sad to find that Stanza no longer works. When I last used my iphone in March this year it still worked. I used to use it on the iphone 3G too.
Yep, definitely better battery life than prior versions. I did see a huge drop off though when I started using Cloud backup and WiFi updating, even though I kept the iPt5 in Airplane mode 97% of the time, and always kept WiFi off when the iPt5 was turned off. It would drain 5% to 10% overnight when off and Airplane mode was on (that is no WiFi or Bluetooth). The more apps you have that use push or notifications the worse it gets too. Apple seems to have issues getting notifications to not drain and be turned off as some apps I sat to NO EFFing notifications still sent notifications! Their Cloud seems to be total rubbish as far as backup goes. Now that I turned that stupid Cloud off as well as turning off the ability to sync via WiFi I'm back to getting good battery life.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #30
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Yep, definitely better battery life than prior versions. I did see a huge drop off though when I started using Cloud backup and WiFi updating, even though I kept the iPt5 in Airplane mode 97% of the time, and always kept WiFi off when the iPt5 was turned off. It would drain 5% to 10% overnight when off and Airplane mode was on (that is no WiFi or Bluetooth). The more apps you have that use push or notifications the worse it gets too. Apple seems to have issues getting notifications to not drain and be turned off as some apps I sat to NO EFFing notifications still sent notifications! Their Cloud seems to be total rubbish as far as backup goes. Now that I turned that stupid Cloud off as well as turning off the ability to sync via WiFi I'm back to getting good battery life.
Is there anyway to display the battery percentage like you can on the iphone.

And also just to confirm as the touch doesnt have a mute button, aside from turning off notifications and using the do not disturb feature is there any other way to put the touch on silent?
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote