Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 04-19-2014, 04:43 AM   #16
8140david
Connoisseur
8140david began at the beginning.

Device: none
Another suggestion:
When looking at Authors or Allbooks, display in some form of table, rather than a simple list.
This in order to display more Authors (or books) on the screen.
8140david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:56 AM   #17
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8140david View Post
Another suggestion:
When looking at Authors or Allbooks, display in some form of table, rather than a simple list.
This in order to display more Authors (or books) on the screen.
I cannot think of-hand of any easy way to do that although it may be possible.

One restriction is that the internal design of Calibre2opds means that the HTML catalog has to be created by a XSLT transform on the XML files that make up the OPDS compatible catalog. The person who wrote the original XSLT transforms and associated CSS stylesheets is no longer active on Calibre2opds development. I am not that familiar with XSLT and CSS stylesheets so have been reluctant to fiddle much with that 'working' code myself. It really needs someone who is familiar with those technologies to start taking a hand in calibre2opds development.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2014, 04:59 AM   #18
8140david
Connoisseur

Another small suggestion:
In the Authors's page, separate books by ' | ', instead of ', '
Indeed some titles contain commas (or similar characters).
Old 04-19-2014, 05:03 AM   #19
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks.

Would there be a way, with some kind of script, to implement this generally?
For example, suppose I have clicked at Authors.
Then I click on one.
Then, there would be arrows back and forward, that would show me directly the previous author or the next one.
Ths scrip would have to follow my actions, to know whether I'm looking for next author, or next in the tag, of what have you.
But perhaps the various Back and Forward options could be proposed depending on how I have set up the catalog?
The only way that I can see this being done is by client-side JavaScript and it would definitely be non-trivial if it is actually possible at all. It is well beyond my current knowledge of client-side JavaScript.

One thing that is being added soon is better navigation within a paginated set of linked pages. At the moment there is only a 'Next' button. There will definitely be "Previous', First' and 'Last' buttons added (when relevant) as part of implementing this feature request. We also hope to add a 'Goto Page' option to jump to a specified page although that is not as certain.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:06 AM   #20
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Another small suggestion:
In the Authors's page, separate books by ' | ', instead of ', '
Indeed some titles contain commas (or similar characters).
In anything other than very small libraries, the summary line is too long to list titles, so the 'count' format is used instead. Having said that the change may be trivial for the cases where the summary fits so I will look at it. My feeling is that it may not look that good when you see it in action.
Advert
Old 04-19-2014, 05:11 AM   #21
8140david
Connoisseur

I haven't seen the 'Next' button. Where is it? And it moves from what to what (an example would clarify)?
Old 04-19-2014, 05:15 AM   #22
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Could this be set up as an option?
For my own use, I have resized the icons to 24 pixels (instead of 48).
I do not see that is worth introducing a new option for this! You can, however, set on the Advanced tab how many entries are allowed on a page if you simply want longer pages. In practise as soon as your library gets a bit larger you are likely to want to start using the split-by-letter feature to improve navigation.

If you want to make such a change to the icons for your own system and make the changes persistent then you should look at the customization section of the documentation.

Last edited by itimpi; 04-19-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #23
8140david
Connoisseur

Is there a simple way for me to change the layout of any given page, eg the layout of a page showing any given book?
(For instance, I personally would drop the 'Downloads' and 'Cover' texts.)
By changing at what is in some of the jars?
If one needs instead to recompile, where would I look for the relevant piece of code?
Old 04-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #24
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
I haven't seen the 'Next' button. Where is it? And it moves from what to what (an example would clarify)?
This only appears when you have a list of items of the same type that exceeds the maximum that is set for the value before pagination (on the Advanced tab). It is 'dumb' and simply goes to the next page of that set. As you only have a small library the place it is most likely to appear is in 'All Books' as long as you have disabled split-by-letter by setting the max split levels to 0.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:18 AM   #25
8140david
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If you want to make such a change to the icons for your own system and make the changes persistent then you should look at the [url=https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Calibre2OpdsCustomize]customization[/ur;] section of the documentation.
Thanks!
That's what I need.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #26
8140david
Connoisseur

Concerning the security of an online catalog:

I think I should put a .htaccess restriction (with login and pass) on the library folder.

If I do so, is it still useful to encrypt the filenames?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #27
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Concerning the security of an online catalog:

I think I should put a .htaccess restriction (with login and pass) on the library folder.

If I do so, is it still useful to encrypt the filenames?
Probably not. I have my own system protected so that each user has to provide username/password and do not bother to encrypt the filenames. I periodically check the web server logs to make sure that there is no excessive activity on any particular username/password in case a user has been compromised. You may also want to consider using SSL to avoid passwords being sent in the clear across the internet.

The option to encrypt filenames is primarily aimed at those who cannot put more robust security in place. It is better than doing nothing, but cannot be assumed to be anywhere near as good as proper username/password protection.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #28
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Can somebody please explain how to update a Mac OSX app with this latest version? I tried opening the previous app (Show Contents) and replacing the files with the appropriate versions from the new zip file. Unfortunately, I couldn't open the app after that. Luckily, I made a copy of the app before messing with it.

Beyond replacing individual files like I did, is there a way to create a Mac app version from the zip file? I'm kinda new to Mac so I'd like to learn this. Thanks
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #29
itimpi
Wizard

You can normally just extract the ZIP contents replacing files of the same name.

However in this case many of the files have changed their name (3.4 in the name instead of 3.3). As a result the plist file associated with the app needs modifying to have the new names.

If you have a plist editor on the Mac you can do it yourself. If not, post a message and I will post a .dmg file tomorrow for the 3.4 release that can then act as the basis for using future .ZIP files. Just for reference you might find the following of use as it is the process I use when putting together the .dmg on a Windows system. The same changes need making if running on OS/X although there the tools will be slightly different.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #30
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Thank you, modifying the info.plist did the trick!

Edit: I spoke too soon. Modding the info.plist now allows the app to open and function but some of the gui button labels are messed up. Not sure why. If you could go ahead and post a dmg for 3.4 that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by edbro; 04-24-2014 at 04:34 PM.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote