Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Lynnk
Lynnk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is there a way to......

put covers and a synopsis onto my kindle?

thanks Lynn
Lynnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Lynnk

I see a lot of people have read this, does anyone have an answer for it please?

Lynn
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Hi Lynn

Welcome to the forum.

You need to be more specific. What model of Kindle do you have (some have been "jailbroken", which allows covers to be put on to replace the screensaver, or do you want covers included within each book when you open it)?

What do you mean by a putting on a synopsis? Where do you want to do this? You can add notes simply by typing when you have a book open, but I doubt that is what you mean.

Help us to help you.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Convert from mobi to mobi within calibre. Add the cover while converting. Also add the synopsis in the metadata, and select to add metadata at the start of the book in the options while converting.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is also the option to generate a catalog of books and transfer this to the Kindle. As was said earlier a clearer statement of the need will help with deciding the most appropriate solution.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Lynnk

I have the kindle before the new touch, 4 i think its called. I wanted to put the covers for the books i have on my kindle and also what the book is about. As you can imagine i have lots of books and i will never remember what they are about.

thank you for any help you can give me

hugs Lynn
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Lynnk

right i have managed to find the covers on my kindle but whenever i go to book description it wants to connect to wifi.

As i am going on my hols i dont want to use wifi.

any help appreciated

hugs Lynn
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Lynnk - that is how the Kindle "Book description" works, it has to connect to the internet. You have no option as far as that is concerned if you use it.

What some people do as a workaround is to generate what is called a "metadata jacket" which is in effect a special page inserted at the front of the book containing your synopsis information you are after.

To do this, you need to do a conversion using calibre. On the conversion options dialog under "Structure Detection" there is a checkbox for "Insert metadata as page at start of book" which is what you want.

There are other variables at play here in terms of whether your books have had DRM removed (or else you cannot convert) etc but that is the basics of it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Lynnk

yipee kiwidude i have finally done it.

thank you so much for your help i really appreciate it

hugs Lynn
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnk View Post
yipee kiwidude i have finally done it.

thank you so much for your help i really appreciate it
Glad you got that working.

You might also want to look at the Catalog facility in Calibre. To get more information on this read this sticky. That allows you to generate a special ebook that gives you the ability to browse on the Kindle through what you have stored in your library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
tiffanyjoy
tiffanyjoy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch/nextbook/ and ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Lynnk - that is how the Kindle "Book description" works, it has to connect to the internet. You have no option as far as that is concerned if you use it.

What some people do as a workaround is to generate what is called a "metadata jacket" which is in effect a special page inserted at the front of the book containing your synopsis information you are after.

To do this, you need to do a conversion using calibre. On the conversion options dialog under "Structure Detection" there is a checkbox for "Insert metadata as page at start of book" which is what you want.

There are other variables at play here in terms of whether your books have had DRM removed (or else you cannot convert) etc but that is the basics of it.
is this possible to do with a nextbook2? I'm looking to get my covers of the books on the face of the next2 thanks for any help.Tiffany
tiffanyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
This is not a vague title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnk View Post
I see a lot of people have read this, does anyone have an answer for it please?

Lynn
Just a meta-comment here. A lot of people have read this thread because your title is vague. "Is there a way to ..." what? If the title was "Is there a way to put covers and synopsis on Kindle", it would be much more descriptive and you would be more likely to get people who can actually help reading your thread. Instead, you get a bunch of drive-by readers opening thread just to see what the question is, and then they move on.

I'm not saying you intentionally made the title vague (or did you?), but I am saying that's why you see a large discrepancy between "people who have viewed this thread" and "people who have attempted to answer your question".
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote