Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
honeyrose
honeyrose began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Cannot use Calibre 0.7.42 with Win XP Pro

I am a new Kindle owner and thought I would download Calibre. The software downloaded OK onto my PC - or seemed to. However when I open the program, it takes a long time to load, then displays what I take to be the main Calibre desktop screen (icons for options along top toolbar with version 0.7.42 at the bottom of the screen) and an image of a book on the right saying underneath Calibre Quick Guide by Jim Schember, format epub, click to open.

Clicking to open does not work, whether I click on either the book or its title, this just brings up the Win File Folder screen with two icons, one with the book title, the other called metadata.op. When I click on the book title I get a Windows error message saying Unknown file format.

I decided to ignore the Quick Guide and just use the options along the top of the opening Calibre screen (add, convert etc) but they just take me round the same loop - icons with Quick Guide and metdata titles appear and then an unknown file format message.

I am running a standard version of Win XP pro in administrator mode and have no problems downloading anything else. Is this a bug in XP Pro?

Hope someone can help
Honeyrose
honeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I'm afraid that you're, as the idiom goes, Doing It Wrong. Try having a look at the demo video or the user manual for instructions how to use Calibre. (Bear in mind that the video is done on a rather old version of Calibre, however, the basic tasks are still done the same way.)
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Select the User Guide in the main window, click the View icon (magnifying glass). That will get you started.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I'm afraid that you're, as the idiom goes, Doing It Wrong. Try having a look at the demo video or the user manual for instructions how to use Calibre. (Bear in mind that the video is done on a rather old version of Calibre, however, the basic tasks are still done the same way.)
I have to find the time to re-shoot that video
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have to find the time to re-shoot that video
As I recall it was accurate for about 2 weeks after 0.7.0 came out then in 0.7.3 you added the wide and narrow user interface layouts. But during that 2 week run it was amazing!

An aside to this, I am consistently amazed at how current you keep the manual. It seems as if each new feature is added concurrent with documentation on the new feature.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
honeyrose
honeyrose began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Bit puzzled here. I cannot open the Quick Guide which loads as part of the software - get a windows invalid file format message. And when I click on the down arrow next to the function icons on the top toolbar, it goes round the houses a bit but still generates the invalid file format error eventually.

I installed 0.7.42 as my first version, not as an update, on PC running XP Pro (standard latest version). Noone has yet told me they have done the same thing successfully on Win XPPro, either they are using Vista or they have upgraded an earlier version.

Afraid I have given up on it for the present. I assume, if there is problem installing it for first time users running XP Pro, then when Kindle users who got one for Christmas get round to trying Calibre on XP machines more will report issues. So will await developments.
honeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyrose View Post
Bit puzzled here. I cannot open the Quick Guide which loads as part of the software - get a windows invalid file format message. And when I click on the down arrow next to the function icons on the top toolbar, it goes round the houses a bit but still generates the invalid file format error eventually.
So you select the Quick Guide book in the library list then press V (or click on the magnifying class) and you receive the windows invalid file format message?

Quote:
I installed 0.7.42 as my first version, not as an update, on PC running XP Pro (standard latest version). Noone has yet told me they have done the same thing successfully on Win XPPro, either they are using Vista or they have upgraded an earlier version.
I did a new install on a Windows XP machine and I have no problems viewing the calibre quick start guide. Exactly how are you trying to open the book?

Quote:
Afraid I have given up on it for the present. I assume, if there is problem installing it for first time users running XP Pro, then when Kindle users who got one for Christmas get round to trying Calibre on XP machines more will report issues. So will await developments.
If you can't view the calibre quick start guide by selecting it in the library view and clicking V then it would seem something is amiss with your install or that particular book in general.

Add some other books and see if you can view them. The library here at Mobileread has many classics ready for download in various formats.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I just updated to 0.7.42 and it seems to work just fine. I'm using XP Pro SP3, same as the OP. I was unable to find the Quick Start guide in the library. Is this something that gets installed only on new installations?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I just updated to 0.7.42 and it seems to work just fine. I'm using XP Pro SP3, same as the OP. I was unable to find the Quick Start guide in the library. Is this something that gets installed only on new installations?
It was introduced quite some time ago (in the 0.6.x time, I believe) and, as far as I know, only gets installed on brand spankin' new installations or if you first install a version that contains the guide. I'd guess that either you've had it install and deleted it or you had it install and it's buried somewhere in your library.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It was introduced quite some time ago (in the 0.6.x time, I believe) and, as far as I know, only gets installed on brand spankin' new installations or if you first install a version that contains the guide. I'd guess that either you've had it install and deleted it or you had it install and it's buried somewhere in your library.
There may be some code that inserts it (once?), or they later disabled insert into existing.
The "Publisher" is "calibre"

There is a copy in the programs folder (XP)
Code:
C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources
Just browse and add if you delerted yous
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Or I started using calibre before it was introduced?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Or I started using calibre before it was introduced?
I did that. When the quickstart guide got introduced, it got added to my library in the version that introduced it. I deleted it and never got it again.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's a config variable that's set when the QS guide is added. Once it has been set, the guide is never re-added.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:

@honeyrose, take a look at Preferences|Behavior|Use internal viewer for:, confirm that EPUB is checked.

Or, as Kovid suggested in another thread, perhaps you have a conflict with a Wacom driver.

If it still fails, I have to assume you have a faulty installation and need to reinstall.

Hope that helps.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 01-24-2011 at 01:51 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
ddjohn
Enthusiast
ddjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX; Pandigital-7W
Newbie here. I've been using Calibre for a couple months and did not realize the documentation was being updated for new features. That's wonderful. May I suggest adding a reminder to the upgrade page, so others will also become aware of modifications to the user guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
As I recall it was accurate for about 2 weeks after 0.7.0 came out then in 0.7.3 you added the wide and narrow user interface layouts. But during that 2 week run it was amazing!

An aside to this, I am consistently amazed at how current you keep the manual. It seems as if each new feature is added concurrent with documentation on the new feature.
ddjohn is offline   Reply With Quote