Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
levander
levander began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Does iBooks or the Kindle App look for stripped files?

Say someone bought a book from Amazon and wanted to give his Mom a copy. So, he buys the book, strips the DRM, then emails his Mom a copy of this stripped file.

If she puts it in iTunes on her PC, then syncs her PC with her iPad, is there any concern that the iBooks app on her iPad will "check" to see if there are any stripped files being used?

It'd be a little better if she could put the stripped file in the Kindle app, but I don't think there's any easy way for her to do that without installing some (think its called iPhoneExplorer) hacky type app she won't want to fool with. Or, is there an easy way? If there is, is there any concern about the Kindle app looking for stripped files?
levander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
I have had no reason to remove DRM from Kindle books. However it is unlikely that anything would remain to impede your Mom after conversion to ePub for iBooks. The stripped MOBI file won't load in iBooks without conversion.

I have stripped my old Sony library (ePubs from Sony and other ePub vendors to use on my iPad and Kindle. Both devices handle them fine.

Of course, it goes without saying that doing what you propose is likely to be illegal in your country, and definitely against the T&Cs you accepted to buy the Kindle titles in the first place.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
An AZW file's content is essentially identical before and after the DRM is stripped, so all the metadata is still there. Amazon can definitely detect that it is DRM-free and also that it was sold from the Kindle store (as opposed to a MobiPocket store, for example). I don't know if they can tell who bought the original ebook. Note that I have never heard of Amazon actually doing this, but it is technically possible.

Once the DRM-free MOBI is converted to ePub, some of the metadata is removed. In addition Apple has no skin in the Kindle store game, so it is hard to see why they would care where the ebook came from. However, if you have a DRM-free version of an always DRM-ridden title then the DRM has clearly been removed. What Apple can't tell is whether you have bought the original ebook, or got it from a family member, or downloaded it from the darknet.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote