Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Dark Heavens - Kylie Chan

A search didn't show any previous mention of Kylie Chan's work so I thought I would bring it up. I've only read the first trilogy so far. Two out of the second trilogy are out (and on our shelf ) ... and that brings me to my biggest complaint about the books. They seem to be marketed as a trilogies but really it's all just one series (the first trilogy is not left hanging all that badly but the central story is certainly not over/closed).

I purchased the first book "just to see" ... and it surprised me. The blurb was perfectly accurate but somehow it led me to expect something different to what I found. What did I expect? I'm not really sure, maybe more of a feeling of the mysterious east or something (remember the music and the "back in China" scenes from the old Kung Fu television series?). What did I get? Well not that.

The whole thing comes over as remarkably direct and straight forward. The story background is all very much in the here and now, it just happens to have some Chinese gods involved. Martial arts are certainly involved but the book never turns into a real action thriller ... things just happen. The romance that evolves never gets really soggy, it just happens.

This is not coming out as a very flattering review, but that's probably down to my lack of expertise. In the first trilogy, Dark Heavens, there seemed little that was particularly exciting, and yet I found the books compulsive. I'd keep reading because ... well because I was having fun. The dialogue and the characters had me enjoying the ride.

Actions speak louder than words: I keep buying her books as they come out. I don't think I'd call these great books, but I certainly had fun and I am looking forward to starting on the second trilogy (but waiting on the last one to come out). More details of the books etc can be seen at her site.

Anyone else here read them? What did you think? Can anyone be more eloquent than I?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Journey to Wudang

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd reactivate this one - it's the same topic and it's still me

I just finished the second trilogy in this series, called "Journey to Wudang".

After finding the first trilogy surprisingly enjoyable I have to say that I found this second trilogy surprisingly disappointing. It had all the same "it just happened" feel to the telling, but without the fun and life in the dialogue that picked up the first three books and made them work.

Too much of it was just more of the same (and LOTS of it) - to me it felt as if there was about enough story in this second trilogy to fit one book. Where the first three books felt reasonably well-thought-out and self-consistent, these next three feel very much made-up-as-she-went-along. The rules kept changing and the reasons given for the changes felt (to me) to be overly contrived and weak. Even the "surprise" ending felt weak, and the reaction of the other Celestials all out of proportion to everything we had seen so far.

And worst of all? She's still not done. The story is still not finished, this "trilogy" (that's how they're marketed) ends much like a book in the middle of a series. These are not trilogies, they just one continuous story with no conclusion in sight yet.

As a reader that's come this far with her I feel rather abused, not sure I have it in me to bother with any more of these books if/when they ever come out. In the first books I cared about the characters, in these latter books I don't really,
Spoiler:
and if they die, who cares?, they'll be back again in a while - the amount of time somewhere between the next day and some months later, apparently just depending Chan's whim in this part of the story.
Advert
Old 08-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
OT but...

Do look into Lian Hearn. Her cycle called Tales of the Otori is among the most beautiful, lyrical series I have read to date. Elements of fantasy, though not pure fantasy. Quite remarkable work IMO.

Sorry for the digression.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
OT but...

Do look into Lian Hearn. Her cycle called Tales of the Otori is among the most beautiful, lyrical series I have read to date. Elements of fantasy, though not pure fantasy. Quite remarkable work IMO.

Sorry for the digression.
Tales of the Otori do sound like they could be good, I have added them to my reading-list, thanks.

I had to do some research to discover what inspired the digression, and now I think I know: Australian author, Asian themes. Otori is historical Japanese fantasy, Dark Heavens is contemporary Chinese fantasy (albeit using figures from Chinese history/mythology).
Old 08-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Yep. My mind is transparent.

I do think you will enjoy Tales...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert