Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
HardBall
HardBall began at the beginning.

Device: nook, entourage edge
Release Timeframe of Next Model?

Hello,

I'm getting pretty close to purchasing some kind of e-reader that is versatile enough to do a few other things. The Edge is a pretty natural fit for my needs, and is one of my final choices.

Of my other options, Ipad (almost certainly yearly release), Nook Color (just released), Adam tablet (supposed to release this winter, if they don't run into problems), I have a reasonable handle on the release time frame. The Edge is the only one that I don't have a good idea about the next hardware refresh would be.

I want to avoid getting a device that would be soon outdated and missing performance and feature. Although pocket Edge just got released, I'm not sure if that is actually a replacement or a different line of products. Does anyone here have a good insight?
HardBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:31 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I am wondering the same thing.

Did you buy an eDGe, Hardball? Or something else? I am debating between the big EE, the small PE, or waiting to see what a month or two will bring.

Does anyone have any insight into Entourage's plans??

I'm still waiting to buy my Christmas present!

Filark
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Not a lot of us have insight into Entourage's plans. I can say that when the pocket edge came out, it mostly took us all on the Entourage forum by surprise. They've had a lot less presence on their forum lately (but not to fear re: customer service -- they will go above and beyond to make sure you have a completely functional unit) and we know (believe) they're working hard to get us up to Android 2.2. That shouldn't come before the end of March, based on what they've shared.

So while I find it difficult to believe they're working on new hardware when Android 2.2 is presenting such a challenge, as well as long-standing feature requests like landscape pdfs on the e-ink side, I can't ignore the fact that the PE came from out of the blue.

But my belief is that they're currently working to get Android 2.2 up and running and when/if they decide to go to a new hardware version, it will be to beef up the hardware so that it's capable of Honeycomb. Almost nothing is running Honeycomb right now, and I've even read that it will take Google probably up to 3.2 for Honeycomb to really work as expected. And if the edge is planning to change its hardware, one would think it would also try to slim down/sleek up the design... no easy challenge if it also has to include updated specs. A month or two is not likely to change their offerings.

So, as with any gadget purchase, I think it's important to make sure you can live with the device as is, assuming no further updates. The general consensus on our board is that the people who want it for what it does RIGHT NOW are very pleased, and don't regret their purchase. Those who expect it to keep current with Android or release more and more features are less pleased.

And my personal opinion is that if the Android tablet part is more important to you than the e-ink part, you may wish to consider just a regular old slate tablet. If you know you'll use the e-reader/journal note taker, and if you think THAT's what's cool about the edge, then you have a much greater chance of loving the device, and loving it for what it is right now.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for that thoughtful and helpful response, Sarah!

I am pretty sure I would be delighted with the eDGe as it is now, but I would also like it better with a few changes: pearl e-ink, wireless N or possibly 3G, lighter/sleeker form, USB ports on opposite sides . . . . I had imagined that landscape view on the e-ink side was a hardware issue, but you imply it can be taken care of in the software (which is good!).

Okay, I think I've solved my dilemma: I will buy the Pocket Edge now, and if I like it as much as I think I will, I'll buy the big edge when/if a new model comes out -- or as soon thereafter as I can justify another Christmas/birthday present to myself!

What do you think??

Very much appreciate the time you took answering this query,
Filark
Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Well I can see from the other board that you pulled the trigger on the PE. Congrats!
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
Filark

hehe. I did, I did! Thank you!

I'll be interested to see how the e-ink side compares to my Sony. And this will be my first anything with Android so that will be fun!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

All the craziness on the other board aside, I'm sure it *will* be fun!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
jmss70
jmss70 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I bought some months ago the EE, and I'm very happy. It's usefull for my needs, and solve my problems.

If you are a geek, it's possible that Entourage team doesn't respond as quick as you would want, but the device is very usefull.

Greetings
jmss70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge, model, release date