Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2015, 01:34 AM   #1
cyliu
cyliu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cannot open Calibre after Mac OS X update

I cannot open calibre after the recent Mac OS X update.
When open it from terminal, the error is as follows.

# open /Applications/calibre.app
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Applications/calibre.app.

However, when I run the following command, everything works well.

# open /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre

So I guess it is because of some errors in config files?
Please help if any ideas. Thank you very much.
cyliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The correct way to launch an application is not through the `open` command. That is attempting to launch the passed file using the default file handler.

Apparently, `open -a AppName` will open an (optional) file using AppName, so you could do `open -a calibre`

BUT.
The proper way is to call the `calibre` command -- you will find it in
Code:
/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/MacOS/

It is suggested to symlink these to /usr/bin/ so they are on your PATH.
Note: My auto-updater also creates those symlinks: https://github.com/eli-schwartz/calibre-installer
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd just re-install calibre if I were you.

@eschwartz: Using open to open applications is perfectly correct on OS X and simulates what happens when you launch the application via the GUI -- i.e. it is started by Launch Services and not run directly as a child of the Terminal.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:58 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Interesting.

I still like my way better if you are starting from the terminal surely you expect it to be attached to the terminal, else you'd use the application menu
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:27 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont ask me why OS X does what it does, I'm just pointing out that it does indeed do that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote