Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
stitching together word files

I was given 23 MS Word files, each a chapter in a book. I'd like to stitch these together into one document that I could read on my Kindle, but I'm not sure how.

There's only very basic formatting, so I don't have to worry about that.

I know that epubs are basically zip files - can I save each of my 23 files as filtered html, put them in a zip file, and rename the file with the extention epub (and then use Calibre to convert to mobi)? is it really as simple as that? or is there more to it?

I've never done this before, so I'd appreciate fairly basic directions. I have sigil at home, but I'm not sure how to use it in this situation.

Thanks!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No - an epub file has more complicated structure than a simple ZIP.

Why not simply concatenate the Word files in Word? Save the result out as Web Page (filtered) and it would probably convert quite well.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I thought about doing that, too.

If I create a table of contents in Word, using their ToC field code, will that translate to a clickable ToC in the final document?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi BeccaPrice

Not tried this myself, but have you tried converting each file to ePUB and then using the ePUBMerge plugin.

You might have to use the new EditTOC feature to get one.

I have cut & pasted chapters together in Word, the OfficeTab addin makes that easier; its a tabbed document interface a'la browsers for MS Office, I use the Free version on 2007 - love it.

Normal conversion 'guidelines' for Word to Epub apply.

Regarding TOCs from Word documents: my 'guidleline' is - what I see in Words Document Map is what I'll get in my ePUB sidebar TOC. I don't need embedded TOC's because the readers I use support sidebar TOCs (serendipity, not design).

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-03-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: clarify TOC
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote