Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
civiliza
civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K3, PW2
Kindle 3:Accessing onboard HTML files

Hello everybody - I've been browsing this site since Wednesday prior to receipt of a brand new Kindle 3 last Friday.

As the writer of a .BAT mode Sudoku file generator, I have a potentially endless supply of Sudoku's that I would like to access on my Kindle.

To this end, I have knocked together a rough and ready HTML file using Forms and javascript that lets me attempt some of these Sudokus.

It works in Firefox, but when I copy it across to the Kindle 3, said reader complains when I try to access it in the "Experimental Browser" using a URL starting "file:///mnt/us/". The Kindle 3 says it can only download files using the http or https protocols.

Anybody else encountered this problem and/or (better still) worked out a solution?

civiliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You used to be able to do it by using a file:////mnt/us/ URL like what you tried but that was with the old Kindle 2. The new Kindle 3 browser is completely different as they moved to WebKit and it doesn't support that type of link. I don't think you can currently do what you want without hacking the Kindle...
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
civiliza
civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The new Kindle 3 browser is completely different as they moved to WebKit and it doesn't support that type of link. I don't think you can currently do what you want without hacking the Kindle...
That's a shame, having originally picked up the file:~ URL technique from this site I was not aware until today that it didn't apply to the Kindle 3.

It would be interesting to know how the "official" Sudoku ebooks get around this problem. The fact that they need the Wireless Link and Javascript options turned on suggest that they use the Browser. I guess that I extrapolated said supposition one step too far.

Do they even work on the Kindle 3 and/or do they access files hosted out in the "real" internet?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
martinhinsch
martinhinsch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 DXG
You can read html files if you just change the extension to .txt (and yes, it actually gets parsed as html). No idea though whether javascript or any kind of more complex formatting is supported.
martinhinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
civiliza

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinhinsch View Post
You can read html files if you just change the extension to .txt (and yes, it actually gets parsed as html). No idea though whether javascript or any kind of more complex formatting is supported.
I see ... I had read something like that, but hadn't believed it because it didn't work in my case.

I think that the truth must be that it works for "simple" html, but when I tried with my file (consisting solely of a html form with buttons accessing javascript routines), the end result was a readable version of my javascript "script". Not sure what happened to the form section bacause I abandoned it after spotting the javascript.

I suppose I could always produce static html tables with the sudoku "givens" in the correct places, but that rather defeats the purpose - if I have to carry around pen and paper to actually do the puzzle, I might as well print out the puzzle in the first place.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
civiliza

I haven't been able to solve the onboard HTML problem, but by finding a place to temporarily host the file, at least I've proved that the file itself works.

It may not do snazzy things like pencil marking cells or providing clues, but at least I built in 100 self contained puzzles so that my WiFi-only Kindle can continue to read new puzzles when out of WiFi range.

Best thing is that after much trial and error, it fits perfectly on the Kindle 3 screen unlike the offerings from M*****R********.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
luckyclover
luckyclover began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
The Kindle Bug App Browser which is for sale in the Kindle store solves your problem. In addition, it has Sudoku included in the games section and a Sudoku solver (in html and javascript). I have a Kindle 3 and use the Kindle Bug App Browser for viewing websites, using javascript games, and using tools/apps such as calculators and stopwatch all offline.

If you want to use your javascript Sudoku puzzles offline in the Kindle 3, you will have to make it into a web page and then access it with the Kindle Bug App Browser once while being online. Then you can turn your internet off and use the javascript Sudoku game offline. As I mentioned though before, the Kindle Bug App Browser already gives you unlimited Sudoku puzzles though and a Sudoku solver.

The Kindle Bug App Browser costs $2. Type in Kindle Bug App Browser in the search bar in the Kindle store or click on the link below. There are two versions but version 2.3 is the newest. Once you buy it though, you get free updates.

Kindle Bug App Browser
luckyclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
civiliza

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyclover View Post
The Kindle Bug App Browser which is for sale in the Kindle store solves your problem. In addition, it has Sudoku included in the games section and a Sudoku solver (in html and javascript). I have a Kindle 3 and use the Kindle Bug App Browser for viewing websites, using javascript games, and using tools/apps such as calculators and stopwatch all offline.
I can see how this would be of use in setting aside a half completed puzzle in it's own tab thereby freeing up the browser for other tasks. Particularly since I bought the wi-fi only version, it would be a pain to lose access to my puzzles until I got back in wi-fi range.

My main concern is that the only customer review on Amazon is very recent and suggests the KBAB introduces instabilities on the Kindle.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
luckyclover
luckyclover began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by civiliza View Post
I can see how this would be of use in setting aside a half completed puzzle in it's own tab thereby freeing up the browser for other tasks. Particularly since I bought the wi-fi only version, it would be a pain to lose access to my puzzles until I got back in wi-fi range.

My main concern is that the only customer review on Amazon is very recent and suggests the KBAB introduces instabilities on the Kindle.
Civiliza,

I did not see any customer reviews for the KBAB in the Kindle Store. When was the customer review posted? What kind of instabilities does it suggest and which version was it for (version 1 or version 2.3)? Maybe the customer review was for version 1. I did not notice any instabilities when I was using version 2.3.
luckyclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
civiliza

As a UK customer, I looked for KBAB on amazon.co.uk. I found 3 postings/versions of which the review was on an unspecified version (presumably version 1):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Bug-A.../dp/B004D4ZQLC

The review was dated 10th Dec 2010 - worryingly recent given that there seems to be no indications in either of the other versions:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Bug-App-Browser-applications/dp/B004E3XUA6
or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Bug-A.../dp/B004GB0JPU

That a known problem was corrected.

Incidentally, the amazon.co.uk postings seem to have equivalents on amazon.com including the same review on (presumably) version 1.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
civiliza

I thought I would give the KBAB a trial despite my reservations.

It might be useful for some, but it tries to cram too much info into too small a screen. Part of the reason for getting a Kindle was to read books at a larger type size.

Seriously - I needed a magnifying glass to enter the URL of my Sudoku web page. Even then, it insisted on giving the page borders that totally messed up my careful tailoring of the page to the Kindle's screen.

I'm afraid that KBAB is useless for my needs.

Tags
browser, html, kindle3, onboard, sudoku