Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Wow. Still looks awfully white. Even in high res.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #17
iching
iching began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2, have iPod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If you look at picture 2, you'll see a + and -. It is probably the volume control.
Dagnabbit. Yes you are right.
iching is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
size comparison to the PRS 700 that i made its not much wider. but its wide enough not to fit in a pocket cause my 700 JUST fits inside my pockets.

the K2 is certainly much longer.

Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Has no one noticed the resolution on the New York Times picture looks really good? Anyone have the January 12th issue who can do a comparison with the current Kindle?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only thing I see seriously wrong is the lack of a cover. A slip cover is not going to be all that wonderful. I much prefer a proper cover. And showing someone using the Kindle without a cover is a really bad idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm wondering how many shades the Kindle 2 has natively. It does look better then the dithering on the Kindle 1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only thing I see seriously wrong is the lack of a cover. A slip cover is not going to be all that wonderful.
I don't doubt that they'll ship this with a proper cover. It's clear from the shots that there are holes for attaching a cover on the left side. I think the only reason they are showing it without the cover is to emphasize how thin it is, which is important because it is so large in all the other dimensions (compared to the Sony Reader, for instance).

BTW Thanks andybaby for the sizemodo. Nicely done. I think the PRS-700 is shorter than the 500/505 though, because it doesn't have the nav buttons. Any chance of cooking up a similar sizemodo for those?

Man I hope that this comes in other colors. I think there's a good chance that Amazon leaked these pics themselves to generate some buzz for the press conference, and if that's true they'd be smart to have a "one more thing" ready. I'm hoping that surprise (in addition to Kindle books being available on iPhone and Blackberry) is that this unit comes in at least one other color. Hopefully dark blue.

At this point that's the only reason I haven't ordered it yet. If it's not available in other colors, the first thing I'm going to do is send it to colorware. Well, actually I'd just do it myself because I wouldn't want to spend $200 on a paint job. But you get my drift; the Kindle needs a little Krylon lovin'.

Last edited by weatherman; 02-07-2009 at 06:24 PM.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #23
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I don't doubt that they'll ship this with a proper cover. It's clear from the shots that there are holes for attaching a cover on the left side. I think the only reason they are showing it without the cover is to emphasize how thin it is, which is important because it is so large in all the other dimensions (compared to the Sony Reader, for instance).
I'm not sure if that is the only purpose of those holes. They also look like the kind of "key" holes that could be used to "pop" the back cover to get access to the battery and/or SD slot.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #24
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:

BTW Thanks andybaby for the sizemodo. Nicely done. I think the PRS-700 is shorter than the 500/505 though, because it doesn't have the nav buttons. Any chance of cooking up a similar sizemodo for those?
the 700 and the 500 and the 505 all are within a few MM of eachother in Dimensions. the 700 is thicker, and slightly wider than the 505.

the 700 is also slightly smaller than a DVD case. so if you dont own a sony reader, just think of it as the size of a DVD case.

PRS 700 127.6 x 174.3 x 9.7 mm
PRS 505 122 x 175.....x 8mm
PRS 500 123.6 x 175.6 x 13.8mm (I dont trust this thickness.. it might be with case)
DVD case 135 x 190 x 14 mm
Kindle 135 x 190 x 23mm (as listed by Amazon... i think they are way off)

so as you see, the 505 is only half a Centimeter, or 1/5th of an inch less wide than the 700
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #25
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
That's interesting - I guess I always just thought that the 700 was shorter. I have a 500 myself, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going for the K2.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #26
pippin65
Enthusiast
pippin65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
so if i just ordered a kindle, will this be the one shipped??
pippin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #27
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
That's interesting - I guess I always just thought that the 700 was shorter. I have a 500 myself, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going for the K2.
The bezel around the screen plays tricks on you. When looking at them, remember the screen is the same size, so you have to add the size of that border to that screens size plus it is shifted down the size of the top of said bezel.

As for the K2, I don't really care for the design, but then I didn't care for the design of the first.. Glad to see that the people that have/like Kindles approve of this design though, hope it works out for them. (Seriously! Hates the us vs them mentality on things..)

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #28
milan616
milan616 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I took the original images to try to figure out the dimensions. Just drew a line on the diagonal of the screen, divided the length of said line by 6 for a pixel per inch figure. Then drew lines on the length and width of the device and divided them by the ppi from the screen. Assuming its a 6" screen (and this seems most likely) here is what I came up with:

width 5.301886792"
height 7.962264151"

So rounding we've got 5.3x8". I'm not going to try it again with the high res images because I'm fairly certain we'd end up with the same numbers. I'd love to figure out the depth, but I can not for the life of me find the diameter of a pencil on Google.

Oh wow, just noticed this is my first post since joining in June!

Last edited by milan616; 02-07-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Silly observation.
milan616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin65 View Post
Even if you get the first version, you have 30 days to return it, no questions asked.

Amazon customer service rules!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #30
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin65 View Post
I asked Amazon the same question and got this reply:

Hello,

Thanks for asking about when a new version of the Kindle will be released.

We've made no announcement about the next generation Kindle, so I can't answer your question. However, if I were you, I would not cancel my order. I suspect you'll be happy.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote