Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Calibre setting for Kobo Wifi

Hi all, given a great price I scored a brand new Kobo wifi (yet to collect as I am out of town). I understand the limitations etc of the older model, and I am ok with this (given this is primarily for me to use at work).

Couple of questions I'm hoping people could assist me with setting it up correctly.

1) All of my ebooks I currently manage through Calibre, and I found optimal settings for epubs that suit well with my Astak Pocket Pro ie: disable font scaling, margin settings at 20pt so side numbers don't interfere with the text. Does anyone know of any other epub conversion settings that might be more suited towards the Kobo ie: Auto-generated TOC?

2) My understanding is when you drag'n drop new ebooks onto the Kobo it will 'process' them when unplugged from the PC. If I use Calibre to send the ebooks to the Kobo, will Calibre update db thus not requiring the Kobo to process the new content itself?

3) When copying files to the Kobo, and in particular to a SD card, does it really matter what file structure I get Calibre to save it in? At the moment when I save to disk I have Calibre use {author_sort[0]}_author/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s} {title} and that suits my old Astak quite well. Does the Kobo use the file name for its ebook listing on the device or does it use the metadata saved in the file, hence processing new content?

4) Not a biggie, but it apparently supports RTF. For whatever reason many RTFs I have are a .DOC extension. Will the Kobo only open a RTF if it has the RTF extension, or will it recognise the DOC files as RTF and open?

TIA
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post

2) My understanding is when you drag'n drop new ebooks onto the Kobo it will 'process' them when unplugged from the PC. If I use Calibre to send the ebooks to the Kobo, will Calibre update db thus not requiring the Kobo to process the new content itself?
No; the Kobo STILL needs to do a scan and update it's database; calibre does NOT perform this step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
3) When copying files to the Kobo, and in particular to a SD card, does it really matter what file structure I get Calibre to save it in? At the moment when I save to disk I have Calibre use {author_sort[0]}_author/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s} {title} and that suits my old Astak quite well. Does the Kobo use the file name for its ebook listing on the device or does it use the metadata saved in the file, hence processing new content?
The Kobo uses the Title and Author info from the ePub itself (and that IS what has been massaged via the Plugboard). The directory etc is ignored by the Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Thank you for that. Essentially I am gathering that my epub setup for my astak will work for the kobo with no changes. If the kobo does a DB routine when adding new books, is there a recommended limit I should do at a time ie; should I only add say 10, let it process then reconnect and add another 10? Or just go for gold and add as many as I want in one hit?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote