Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle 4 WiFi bug?

I went to to synch my items on my K4 today and it wouldn't connect to WiFi. The bars were blank and when I went to settings and click show me available networks it wouldn't do anything. I couldn't check to see if other WiFis were available. A restart seems to have fixed it but I wonder has anyone else had this happen yet?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I haven't encountered that issue yet, but last night I noticed my K4 slowing down quite a bit. No new books had been added in a few days, so it shouldn't have been indexing. Then it inexplicably froze while reading a book. I had to hold the power button in for half a minute until it restarted and then everything was fine. That is the only time I've had any issue at all and it seems to have quickly corrected itself.
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I haven't encountered that issue yet, but last night I noticed my K4 slowing down quite a bit. No new books had been added in a few days, so it shouldn't have been indexing. Then it inexplicably froze while reading a book. I had to hold the power button in for half a minute until it restarted and then everything was fine. That is the only time I've had any issue at all and it seems to have quickly corrected itself.
I haven't had any freezing just the strange WiFi issue. I only have about 25 books on the K4. I've noticed no slow down but I will keep an eye out for it. I've read two books on it so far.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I went to to synch my items on my K4 today and it wouldn't connect to WiFi. The bars were blank and when I went to settings and click show me available networks it wouldn't do anything. I couldn't check to see if other WiFis were available. A restart seems to have fixed it but I wonder has anyone else had this happen yet?
I actually had that happen once on my K3 and a restart fixed it....haven't seen it on my K4 yet.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I haven't had any freezing just the strange WiFi issue. I only have about 25 books on the K4. I've noticed no slow down but I will keep an eye out for it. I've read two books on it so far.
I've only got about a dozen books on my K4, so that shouldn't have been the issue. The book that froze is a typical sized, unmodified AZW straight from the Kindle bookstore. Very few images and nothing unusual about it. My issue was probably just a glitch.

I will say that occasionally my WiFi signal strength will drop to nothing and that can cause my Android phone and iPad to act sluggish and/or freeze, but it has never adversely affected either of my Kindles. Of course my Kindles rarely use the WiFi even though I keep it on on both of them.
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I did encounter a strange screen on my K4 last week. I was playing around with different key combos trying to uncover any new shortcuts and I somehow brought up a screen with two barcodes on it and some text which looked like it was monospaced. I can't remember the message on the screen, but I remember thinking I should quickly back out of it so I did.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I'll keep an eye out for slowdowns or freezes but so far nothing unusual on my K4 and I have about 35 books on it.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Well I just finished my third book on it. No more problems that I can tell. The right next button is now pushable though at times it still tries to slide out of my little hand. I love being able to read for hours though I make myself pause after chapter or two.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I spoke too soon. It did it again when I took it out of sleep. I didn't restart this time. I decided to try and fiddle with it so I turned WiFi off and waited then turned it back on. I then try to launch the browser and that seemed to help. It took about two minutes but I got it to connected again but I noticed it was sluggish when this was happening but once it was connected it started acting okay again.

This time when it happened it showed all bars filled up but say it wasn't connected at all and ask me to check my connection. Then it it looked connected and was checking for Items but it really wasn't I tested my phone to make sure my network was working. It connected immediately. So did my K3.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
jermyzy
Enthusiast
jermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4
I had the same problem last night. I tried to just re-connect (it suggested I re-type my password) but it wouldn't work. Mine showed available nextworks (including my own at full strength), but it wouldn't connect. I had to reset the device and it was fine after that.

Last edited by jermyzy; 10-18-2011 at 04:14 PM.
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
I had the same problem last night. I tried to just re-connect (it suggested I re-type my password) but it wouldn't work. Mine showed available nextworks (including my own at full strength), but it wouldn't connect. I had to reset the device and it was fine after that.
Next time try this. Go to menu\Turn wireless off\ Wait about 30 seconds then turn wireless on again. Wait till you see the WiFi icon and full bars then Synch your K4.

So far this is working for me and keeping me from having to do a restart.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Seen a freeze on the K4 NT(4.01) while I had the browser running

had a devil of a time getting it to reboot.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Seen a freeze on the K4 NT(4.01) while I had the browser running

had a devil of a time getting it to reboot.
It takes some practice. You hold the button for 30 seconds. I find it easy to restart a K3 then a K4. The K3 you held the switch to the right for that amount of time.

So how you like your K4? I know you had a Pocket Pro like I did but I upgraded to a K3 first so I am curious how the transition was for you?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
It happened to me as well. I restore the device and everything worked fine...
We may need to report this to Kindle support or how do you let them know you may have found a bug?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #15
jermyzy
Enthusiast
jermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Next time try this. Go to menu\Turn wireless off\ Wait about 30 seconds then turn wireless on again. Wait till you see the WiFi icon and full bars then Synch your K4.

So far this is working for me and keeping me from having to do a restart.
Thanks Blossom, I'll try this next time it happens
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote