Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Calibre Hacks

So I figured that a "Calibre Hacks" thread can be useful to users looking to make their library management better.

One of the best hacks I figured out is the copying of the timestamp into a "date added" column.

If you have a date added column that needs to be populated but you aren't sure of the date, the timestamp is a good indicator. If you are confident that the timestamp (date) of the book listed is accurate you can use it in the copy/replace feature in the bulk edit metadata. Although you need to create a custom column before you can do it. For whatever reason, the timestamp is not offered up as a column in the dropdown list of possible columns available in the regular expression option of copy/replace. So you need to create a mirror of the date column as a custom composite columm.

Create a composite column based on another column. Use {date} as the template and give it whatever name you like. I use d2 for the name and Date2 for the heading. Set the search/sort option to "date".

After this column is created it will mirror the date column and show up in the list of columns available for copy/replace. It is set for use in copying the timestamp into whatever other date or text column you like.

This is just one of many hacks I have figured out.

Last edited by Rellwood; 03-26-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think {date} as the source field should work. You can use any Template
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think {date} as the source field should work. You can use any Template

Well then..

It's not like I havn'e used the he heck out of that template function. Now I can go delete all those extra columns.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Rellwood

Regarding that template in copy/replace, it works great for getting column info into the comments section. Alternatively if you want to get more column data into the details of a book into a catalog, just make a composite column based on a chain of other columns. It can also be created into a template in the copy/paste. It depends on what you want to do. I have the column since it's easier to point to it in the catalog creations. It can also just be added to a template.

I call this one "Copy to"

<b>Original File Name: </b>{#original_file_name}<br><br>
<b>All the book sources: </b>{#all_the_book_sources}<br><br>
<b>Date Added: </b>{#dateadded}<br><br>
<b>Book Style: </b>{#book_style}<br><br>
<b>MSITC: </b>{#merged_sito_in_the_cloud}<br><br>
<b>SITO: </b>{#sito}<br><br>
<b>GR AR: </b>{#gr1}<br><br>
<b>Pages: </b>{#pages}<br><br>
<b>Word: </b>{#word}<br><br>
<b>Details: </b>{#details}<br><br>
<b>Genre: </b>{#genre}<br><br>
<b>ENF: </b>{#enf}<br><br>
<b>Tags: </b>{tags}<br><br>

It can be added to the comments as a column in the catalog, alternatively it can be copied into the comments via copy/replace and be added with the comments in a book jacket.

I have a few template across my library like this one.

ps. SITO stands for "single in the omnibus" I use it as a yes/no column. Most often it is used to indicate whether or not the book is part of a merged book I created using epub merge. Then if I sent the merged book to my Kindle then it is in the cloud.

Last edited by Rellwood; 03-26-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
FWIW : it would appear that the lookup names 'date' and 'timestamp' are synonymous - if you show 'Date' as a column in the book list and hover the mouse over the column header you'll see this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	170411

In Advanced Search->Title/author/series... you'll see this

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	170412

And as you've discovered in Bulk MD Edit->S&R the column isn't even offered as the Search or the Destination field

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert