Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 06-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #331
AlienRace
AlienRace began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
Try this, it will sound funny, but try anyway..
This info is for how to do a hard reset.

Press and hold the reset button for 10 sec.
release
press again right away and so do it 4 times total.

Before doing it, leave the reader plunged in for 6 or more hours so it could charge for sure.

Post it back!
AlienRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #332
Praxus07
Praxus07 began at the beginning.

Does sound odd but I'll give it a try, will post what happens
Praxus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #333
Praxus07

Tried it out several times and it still won't turn on. Afraid it's really dead, and since I can't afford to replace it guess my ereader days are over with for now.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #334
AlienRace

Try ebay, they are selling new Literati for around $30.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #335
Praxus07

Ugh...if I could afford an extra $30 I'd already have replaced it with a Kindle Fire (sellers are offering them for under $90 locally on craigslist). With no job every penny counts, so with the death of my literati I don't have any alternative options.
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #336
AlienRace

did you had a white one or black? I would buy a part from you if white one and you had USB working before it broke.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #337
Praxus07

I have the white one, but apparently it isn't dead. I had it (the Literati power chord) plugged into an extension chord with three sockets. Two sockets have a stereo and a light plugged in, and they are working fine, but the socket the Literati's power supply was plugged into seems to be dead (just now took the Literati power supply and plugged it into a wall socket and the Literati turned right on). Never had that happen before.

Not sure what made me try another socket but I'm glad I did!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #338
katniss19
katniss19 began at the beginning.

Angry Help!?

I got a literati ereader and i love it, but i cant update! Whenever i try to update, it starts, then automatically cancels and says software update canceled... i have tried everything. i made sure not to press any key twice, not to touch the ereader when its about to update, and doing everything slowly and patiently. im really irritated, please reply quickly!
katniss19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #339
Cheyenne
Cheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolate

Device: pc, literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by katniss19 View Post
I got a literati ereader and i love it, but i cant update! Whenever i try to update, it starts, then automatically cancels and says software update canceled... i have tried everything. i made sure not to press any key twice, not to touch the ereader when its about to update, and doing everything slowly and patiently. im really irritated, please reply quickly!
I have the same problem with a black literati I just bought off ebay. The update file seems to be offline, even tho the device recognizes there is a new software version. A couple times it said 'software updated, restart', and even booted up once with a software updating notification, but it didn't update.

It seems this method of updating might be gone forever. Stuck on v1.6.1, 10/8/10, and to this point I haven't been able to successfully put books on it. After loading them into 'main memory', the literati get's stuck on 'please wait while your eReader process new content'.
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #340
Cheyenne
Cheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolate

Device: pc, literati
Success!

With the wireless software update not working, here's how I updated the Literati firmware from v1.6 to v2.0 (r23523, Jan 19 2011). Much learned from here and I played with the url to get the latest version:

1) Right-click on the following link, and "Save Link As..." to your harddrive, keep the filename the same. (~60mb)

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...0/KoboRoot.tgz

2) Copy this file "KoboRoot.tgz" file to a blank SD card, then insert card into Literati when powered off.

3) While holding down the "Q" key, power on Literati.

4) And WAIT.
It should soon say device is updating software. It will reboot itself, and after about 10 minutes or so, it will display the setup screen, where you enter the date/time etc.

***Be sure to use the power cord or have plenty of battery life. Running out of juice while the software is updating would brick the device.

Good luck.

Btw, fwiw if the idea hasn't been mentioned...I always put my books on a class 10 sdhc card (the fastest rating at this time.) It's read/write speeds are much faster than the main memory (and other slower class sd cards), so opening books and page turning etc. is much faster.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 08-17-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #341
katniss19

Talking

LOL.

THANKS SO MUCH. I haven't tried it yet because i dont have an sd card, but i wanted to know if i could take the sd card out afterwards.
Cheyenne: I gave you some karma, thanks again.

Last edited by katniss19; 08-17-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #342
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by katniss19 View Post
LOL.

THANKS SO MUCH. I haven't tried it yet because i dont have an sd card, but i wanted to know if i could take the sd card out afterwards.
Cheyenne: I gave you some karma, thanks again.
Yes, you can remove the SD card after the installation, if you wish. You can remove the ROM load file from the SD card after the installation. You can use the SD card to store more books if you wish.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #343
katniss19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, you can remove the SD card after the installation, if you wish. You can remove the ROM load file from the SD card after the installation. You can use the SD card to store more books if you wish.

Dale

Thanks! What would I do without you guys! LOL.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #344
twinledoo
twinledoo began at the beginning.

Unhappy

Hello! I experienced the "Unable to connect to server error" and of course, wasn't able to sync nor update my Literati's software (I think I have v1.6 right now?). After doing some research, I found a possible solution in this forum, the one posted by Cheyenne. I thought I could finally update successfully!
Unfortunately, after inserting the SD card and turned the device on while pressing Q, a notice saying "Upgrade Failed. Could not write application" appears after the "Updating Software, please wait".

I turned the device off afterwards, hoping it would open normally even with just the old software version. Apparently, it gets stuck with the black "Literati: A Sharper Image" screen without proceeding to the home screen. I tried reseting the device until the fifth try, but it still gets stuck with the opening screen. Can someone help, please? This device really is starting to get reeeeaaaally irritating.

Thank you!
twinledoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:39 AM   #345
Altivo
Enthusiast
Altivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Generic Android tablet, Kobo WiFi, Literati, and eBookwise 1150
Look back a page or two in this thread. Chances are that either you have an SD card that is too slow, or more likely, your downloaded upgrade file is corrupted. When I had this problem earlier this year, it turned out that Firefox browsers could not download the file correctly, but Internet Explorer gets an accurate copy. The exact length of the file must match the numbers given in those messages. If it doesn't, try downloading again using a different browser.

The SD upgrade procedure does work, but the file you use must be accurate.
Altivo is offline   Reply With Quote