Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Smudge
Smudge began at the beginning.

Device: none
Strange rebooting issue with one of our Kindles

I just bought my wife a Kindle 3 for Xmas with the Amazon cover, and she purchased one for me with the Amazon cover. Both of the covers are the ones without the light. My wife's Kindle reboots often and frequently turns to a page other than the one that she left off on when she turned the unit off. A friend of mine claims that this issue is related to the cover. My Kindle (also in the non lighted case) works flawlessly and has no issues. Anyone familiar with this? Thanks
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, there's a known problem with some non-lighted covers; Amazon are replacing them with other covers free of charge for those with problems. Take the Kindle that's having the problems out of the cover for a day or two and see if the problems cease. If so, contact Amazon customer service and arrange to get a different cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Smudge

Hmmm. I just called Amazon and they confirmed this. They are giving me a credit for the case as well as $25 Amazon credit. They informed me to purchase the case with the light and that the issue will be resolved. This kind of stinks seeing that my wife did not need/want the case with the light due to its added weight. Hopefully my Kindle (currently with the non-light case) will not start acting this way!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't "stink" at all - the lighted cover is damned good (I have it myself). You should count yourself fortunate that you're getting one at a great price!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Smudge

Ok....well maybe she will like it. I am wondering if over the long run, provided that this issue does not start happening with my new Kindle, the regular non light cover on my Kindle will damage the Kindle itself? I told the customer service guy at Amazon that my wife and I purchased the Kindles and covers for each other at about the same time. He told me that if mine started with this issue to contact them and that they will provide the same refund in order for me to get the lighted cover at the price of the non-lighted cover.
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, it won't damage the Kindle. As I'm sure you know, the lighted cover draws power from the through the metal tags that hold the cover on. With the non-lighted cover, these tags should be insulated, but in some cases seem not to be. This is causing a voltage drop within the Kindle, causing it to reboot randomly. It won't do any damage - it's just a nuisance.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
Hmmm. I just called Amazon and they confirmed this. They are giving me a credit for the case as well as $25 Amazon credit. They informed me to purchase the case with the light and that the issue will be resolved. This kind of stinks seeing that my wife did not need/want the case with the light due to its added weight. Hopefully my Kindle (currently with the non-light case) will not start acting this way!!!
there are other covers that you can get through Amazon and still be able to use your credit
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Marware cover

I had the same problem with the Amazon cover with the hooks. Amazon refunded my money on the defective cover and provided a free return label. They also gave me the $ 25 promotion bonus.

I went and purchased the Marware cover from Amazon. Its better than the hooked cover, has openings for all the controls, provides an included stand for desks when opened and has a security flap to attach to one's hands when holding in a chair without a desk.

I'd surely recommend the Marware cover from Amazon. I haven't had a single reset with the Marware versus innumerable resets with the hooked cover with two different Kindle WiFi units. At the beginning Amazon sent me a replacement for the first unit before the hook problem was identified.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
DaronFraley
Enthusiast
DaronFraley has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
When you got your $25 promotion bonus, how did it arrive? Email? Gift card in the mail?

The support person I talked to promised the same, and I have not seen it. I was waiting to order the lighted cover until I saw the $25.
DaronFraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Whenever I've had credits from Amazon, due to problems with orders, etc, there's been nothing visible; it's just been automatically applied to my next order.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
DaronFraley
Enthusiast

Thanks, Harry. I checked, and you are right. I simply started the order process to get the new lighted cover, and then found the promotional $25 applied right away.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #12
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
I had the same issue. I had paid $29 and change for the non-lighted cover through warehousedeals, and the rep quickly and cheerfully refunded me the $29, and issued me a promotion for the amount of $29, which gave me the $59.9x (whatever the exact change amount is they're charging) with which to buy the lighted kindle.

I got the refund (i had ordered the original cover with a gift certificate, so the refund was instant, didn't have to wait for it to clear my checking account) and tried to buy the kindle lighted cover, and although the rep had told me it would automatically apply the $29 promo code, it wouldn't show up to save my life (and yes, I was buying it direct from amazon, not the warehouse deals one, just to play it safe)

Called a rep and turns out she couldn't get it to work either, even when she logged in as me (which I had no idea they could do)...she eventually had a supervisor clear the old code and re-issue a new code in the same amount, which showed up instantly. It did take about 45 minutes on the phone, and one idiot supervisor trying to say that "you can't use both a promo code and a gift certificate at the same time" (BS), but the agent was very sincere, genuinely wanted to help me, and stuck with me till the end. Short story long, there was a little snafu there, but it worked out in the end and I wound up highly satisfied with the CS experience.

She told me I could "dispose of" the old kindle cover. By "dispose of" I think she really meant, "put some nail polish on the tangs of the old cover and give it to my mom for her kindle wifi" but maybe I'm reading too much into it. I'll tell her to keep a look-out for the symptoms and if they recurr, i can touch up the tangs with more paint. Or, if i read more about the "scrubbing the paint off to expose bare metal" solution being the more reliable solution, then I'll do that.

But mad props to Amazon for really impressing me with their handling of this issue, I've really got to hand it to them. Still have no idea why that first promo credit didn't work, the girl thought maybe they issued one that was only applicable to a different type of item or something.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I was given £29.95 refund on my card and the £20 credit to be spent on Amazon . I bought Tuf love cover instead of going for another amazon cover. It seems to be working much better without the cover.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #14
DaronFraley
Enthusiast

Even with the 3.0.3 update, my Kindle locked up again. I am looking forward to having my new lighted cover arrive!