Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
What does jail breaking an iPad give you?

If you jailbreak it, can you unjailbreak it too?

Thanks.
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Multi-tasking (proper, apps running in the background multitasking) is one of the biggest reasons to jailbreak. Also the ability to run apps that Apple doesn't want in the iTunes store (like wifi syncing with iTunes), tethering (for 3G iPads and iPhones) without having to pay an extra $30/mo, the ability to run iphone/ipod apps full-screen (doesn't work well for every iphone/ipod app, but works great with the facebook app), and much more. Essentially it lets you use your iPad the way you want to, not the way Apple wants you to.

Once jailbroken, there's no need to unjailbreak. iTunes store apps continue to work just fine. Jailbreaking only adds additional features. However if you do ever want to un-jailbreak, you can simply restore an older backup, or reset the iPad to factory, or install an OS upgrade that hasn't yet been jailbroken. If you're worried about warranty support, it's easy enough to take a backup and then reset your iPad to factory before taking it into the store.

Note: I don't have an iPad, but I've jailbroken my iPhone in the past. I upgraded to iOS 4 which undid the jailbreak, so I'm waiting for the new Spirit-style jailbreak to ship (should be right after Apple ships 4.0.1).
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I find no reason to JB my iPad, but have a JB iPhone 3G. I did the iPhone simply because I wanted to tether it to the iPad.

If the multi-tasking is really important to you, the JB is what you need to do (at least until iOS 4 arrives). The downside to JB is there can be problems in the process and you have to restore your iPad.... there is little danger you would actually "brick" you iPad... Also, a JB iPad getting unauthorized apps is also open to virus/spyware, and very poorly written app issues, with zero quality control......

Here is a forum with lot's of info about JB/Hacking your iPad http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/

So you weigh the pluses and minuses and decide for yourself

I don't see the need for me, but I am not you.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
ForceMd
ForceMd is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad: (Thinks to himself; Kindle or Nook; Hmmm...)
I have jailbroken my IPAD for the sole purpose of allowing multi-tasking. Now I do not believe that I could be able to use the IPAD without multitasking and not be annoyed at it. Simple things like being able to listen to NPR while surfing the net just make it seem like this is how it is supposed to work.
ForceMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
ForceMd
ForceMd is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad: (Thinks to himself; Kindle or Nook; Hmmm...)
P.S. -I haven't noticed any dramatic impact on battery performance, but you do have to watch the RAM particularly if you backround any third party web browsers.
ForceMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
These are the reasons I've jailbroken my iPad:

1. Fast wi-fi and bluetooth switch
2. Additional apps via Cydia
3. Ability to hide unneeded icons.
4. Ability to change brightness from within any app.
5. iPhone/iPod apps in full-screen high resolution.
6. Multitasking with Backgrounder and ProSwitcher.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post

Your number 1 is a gripe I have on the iPhone and iPad. I have noticed that with WIFI off the iPad's battery life is improved by quite a bit. A simple and quick way to switch WIFI on and off would be a big help. Not worth it to me to JB, but still a pain the way it is now... What I would really like is a programmable hardware switch or two. Like the orientation switch, which I don't use... if there was a simple way to program it to turn off WIFI instead..... anyway, sorry if I'm too far OT.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Basically you can thumb your nose at Apple's development policy.
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Anything notable?

I have my iPhone JB'd but just for using it as a wifi hotspot with MyWi and also use SBswitch but I've never poked around Cydia to see what worthwhile iPad apps may be there.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:

In addtition to above-
1. Root access to document folder of all apps. This helps in creating folders (if supported by app) and you can directly copy folders.
2. In kindle app u can tranfer your books as well as mobifeeds directly.
3. Now frash ( flash support)
4. Abilty run apps like byline in ipad rsolution with full force
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
However if you do ever want to un-jailbreak, you can simply restore an older backup, or reset the iPad to factory, or install an OS upgrade that hasn't yet been jailbroken. If you're worried about warranty support, it's easy enough to take a backup and then reset your iPad to factory before taking it into the store.
Are there foolproof data backup schemes? I've seen a lot of backup software in the $20 - $30 price range, some with good reviews on CNET, but who has dared to try them with a fully loaded iPad? A true backup should allow you to get everything (i.e., non-DRM'ed content) off of one iPad, transfer it to a PC, and then install it on a second iPad.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
4-eyes
Enthusiast
4-eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-300
(I've got an iPhone not an iPad but the principle is the same)

The best thing about Jailbreaking for me is that you can use the Kindle books app to buy Kindle titles, then use scp/sftp to copy the files across to a PC (after you install OpenSSH through Cydia) and remove the DRM (python scripts for extracting PID and removing DRM) and convert to a format of your choice (via Calibre).

Obviously this takes a bit of work/tech savvy but Google is your friend here.

It's significantly increased my choice of titles for my Sony eBook readers. Worth it for that alone, IMO.
4-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I hadn't planned on jailbreaking my iPad, only my iPhone. But after using jailbreakme.com on the phone yesterday and seeing no real decrease in performance, I went ahead and did the same for the iPad.

All I'm running on the iPad at this point is SBSettings and Categories/CategoriesSB--but oh my word, I'm in love. To me, it's a BIG improvement over Apple's implementation of folders in iOS4. In fact, I like it so much better, I'm going to start using Categories on the iPhone 4 in place of Apple's folders! And SBSettings is how Apple should be doing their Settings instead--quick, easy access to the tools you use the most, without navigating through multiple menus just to switch Bluetooth on or off, for example.

I doubt I'll ever go back to stock firmware after this.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #14
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Try installing Backgrounder (proper multi-tasking) and FullForce (run iPhone apps full-screen, like Facebook). I think you'll be pretty happy with those.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #15
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-eyes View Post
The best thing about Jailbreaking for me is that you can use the Kindle books app to buy Kindle titles, then use scp/sftp to copy the files across to a PC (after you install OpenSSH through Cydia) and remove the DRM (python scripts for extracting PID and removing DRM) and convert to a format of your choice (via Calibre).
There are easier methods involving Kindle4PC.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote