Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Well at $0.95 i can't pass up one of those...I just hope I don't get what I pay for if ya know what i mean!

The Belkin does look nice....maybe I will get one of those too and just return if I don't like it.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Well at $0.95 i can't pass up one of those...I just hope I don't get what I pay for if ya know what i mean!

The Belkin does look nice....maybe I will get one of those too and just return if I don't like it.
I will have it tonight and will report back. Hubby has it with at work. He wouldn't turn around and bring it so I have to wait.

XDA forum recommended this case and few other from Poetic. They are popular over there with the Nexus 7.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Someone over at XDA has most all Google Apps working without root, just by sideloading.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2485004

Blossom, will be interested to hear your thoughts on the Poetic case. Mine should be here monday with my HDX so I will wait on any other covers.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #19
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
There are no Favorites anymore for eBooks. Too bad. Plus there are no Collections. Another disappointment.
Collections for books and apps are suppose to be coming mid-November.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle HDX cover was great. It opens device and closes it and serves as a support on tables or desks. It has one position in portrait mode and 2 positions in landscape mode. I like the shallow angle portrait mode best.

The Home Screen serves as the old Favorites. Books, documents and songs can be placed there.

Amazon gave me dozens of extra free songs in the genres I like and have previously purchased from them.

Be sure to charge before upgrading the firmware. I had to charge for 15 minutes before it started.

My serial # starts with D0FC and my firmware upgraded to: 13.3.0.2

Weight with covers:

KFHDX 2013 - 1 lb. 0.0 oz.
KFHD 2012 - 1 lb. 2.2 oz.
PW 2013 - 11.3 oz.
PW 2012 - 11.2 oz.

One great feature for Bible Studies is that the Kindle screen can be mirrored on a TV or other streaming device. Thus, I could project my AcroBible to a TV so no one has to hunt for verses in their paper Bibles.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-18-2013 at 08:14 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well my biggest problems are Sideloaded books and Personal documents do not have a table of contents. This just blows me away that Amazon would do this. This has to be a bug. It has to!

The bug on the cover for personal documents on the original Kindle Fire is now happening for sideloaded books. Personal documents no longer has that bug because it no longer has personal covers at all!

I know these are fixable. I don't think we will get the pdoc covers back but please give me a working TOC please!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Collections for books and apps are suppose to be coming mid-November.
That is great. It was the only feature I was missing.

By the way, for the elderly among you, if one swipes down at the Home screen, then go to Settings \ Accessibility, one can set up large fonts for all screens. I found that one helpful.

In addition, for those who need it, there are all kinds of functions present there for the disabled.

They also have close captioning available for the deaf to watch videos.

They have a special user guide for accessibility and even include instructions for using the HDX with BRAILLE.

Be careful how you explore that area. I got it locked into speaking at every touch I made and had to hold the power button to reset out of that.

I haven't read the regular User Guide yet. I'll do that tomorrow.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-18-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I will be using close captioning that is for sure. Perfect hearing but that's how I watch everything.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
sirmaru
Wizard

I notice that bookmarks are handled like the PW 2013: when one taps the upper right, ALL the bookmarks are shown and one can delete the unnecessary ones. In the KFHD 2012 one had to go through all one's notes and highlights to find the bookmarks.

Many of the songs come with lyrics now and they print on the screen for one to sing or follow along.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Yeah I mentioned the lyrics it's part of X-ray.

Okay good news AZW3 sideloaded books do show Table of Contents. Only mobi books do not. *phew* I can't believe I am going to need to add another format!

Last edited by Blossom; 10-19-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Someone over at XDA has most all Google Apps working without root, just by sideloading.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2485004

Blossom, will be interested to hear your thoughts on the Poetic case. Mine should be here monday with my HDX so I will wait on any other covers.
Oh It's a really nice case! Doesn't feel cheap at all! I really like it! Soft inside and front is magnetic so it has the auto sleep function.
It's much lighter than the official case which is a huge plus and it has the cut out for the speakers!

Well worth the $3 I paid for it. I did get free shipping on mine did you?
Old 10-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Apps that work:
  • Dropbox: Sideloaded from developer's site
  • ES File Exporer: Amazon app store then auto update from developer's site
  • WiFi Status Bar Switch: So excited this works! I would be lost without it.
  • GoodReads: I know in November this will no longer been needed. Must be sideloaded for now they've blocked it for the HDX but it works fine. Just remember when the update shows up to uninstall before accepting the new firmware.
  • Screen Dim: Works okay from what I can tell. I hope Pruss is around to look at it. Rebought from Amazon app store.
  • Mantano: It looks great on this! I can't believe the difference in text rendering!

Last edited by Blossom; 10-19-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:58 AM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Does anyone know how to keep immersion reading from happening every time I open a book it auto downloads the audible! This should be optional! I have way too many Audibles I don't need every single one on my HDX.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #29
mewmartigan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Oh It's a really nice case! Doesn't feel cheap at all! I really like it! Soft inside and front is magnetic so it has the auto sleep function.
It's much lighter than the official case which is a huge plus and it has the cut out for the speakers!

Well worth the $3 I paid for it. I did get free shipping on mine did you?
Hi Blossom, glad to hear you like the case. Someone over at XDA said they like it too. I am glad to hear its light because I feel like a need a case for protection but I hate when the case doubles the weight/size of the device, haha. Yes, I got free shipping. Sold by somebody but shipped by Amazon.

Thanks for letting me know, Monday can't come quick enough!
Old 10-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Hi Blossom, glad to hear you like the case. Someone over at XDA said they like it too. I am glad to hear its light because I feel like a need a case for protection but I hate when the case doubles the weight/size of the device, haha. Yes, I got free shipping. Sold by somebody but shipped by Amazon.

Thanks for letting me know, Monday can't come quick enough!
I hear you I have played with my HDX for the last few hours. I am in process of converting my library to add AZW3 to the mix of the epub and mobi I already keep. I don't see me using Pdocs on HDX without a TOC and cover they are pretty useless. So it's Dropbox+Export to Books folder and the book magically appears in the Books tab. No need to do anything else like before.

My only wish is the covers showed up on the carousel instead of the blue genetic covers. I'm hoping Kovid will be able to come up with a work around for the covers and the missing TOC on the mobi sideloaded books using Calibre.