Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
syncing Goodreads and Librarything: possible?

The title says it all: I've just signed up for LibraryThing, and imported my books from Goodreads. If I wanted to keep both going, is there any way to keep them in sybc? I've seen that some MR user have accounts on both, hope you can help!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I have an Android app called "Book Catalogue" that links to both Goodreads and LibraryThing, and I know that it synchronizes with Goodreads. You can also export your books to a csv file. If you have an Android device, perhaps that would be helpful to you.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
I have an Android app called "Book Catalogue" that links to both Goodreads and LibraryThing, and I know that it synchronizes with Goodreads. You can also export your books to a csv file. If you have an Android device, perhaps that would be helpful to you.
sadly, no android device for me - but good to know there is such an app, perhaps it has a "relative" for windows, I'll search for that, thank you!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
Is there anyway to import a Calibre csv file to Book Catalogue?
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Is there anyway to import a Calibre csv file to Book Catalogue?
Just downloaded the app and it does have an "import from csv" option

And great find, cghipp. The "add from scan" thing is going to make adding my paper books to calibre far less painful. I can see "Book Catalogue" coming in very handy very soon

Edit: just gave it a test run and it's blazingly fast retrieving the info from a scanned barcode. The layout is good and there's plenty of options.

Edit 2: I actually like it so much that I'm just going to use that for my paper books, they don't really need to go into Calibre as well...

Last edited by Yolina; 04-01-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Any iOS app with similar capabilities?
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Edit 2: I actually like it so much that I'm just going to use that for my paper books, they don't really need to go into Calibre as well...
Glad I can finally contribute something of use to MR (other than my usual smart-alecky comments)!

I actually used this first as a catalog for my paper books when I was boxing a bunch of them up for storage. I gave each box a "bookshelf" so I could put my hands on any book quickly. And I created a shelf called "Free-Range" for books that were not put in storage and could be laying anywhere around the house. I tried several different apps but Book Catalogue seemed to be the most stable and had the best options and ease of use. And - bonus - I knew I'd never forget what it was called. I hated to put so many books away, but I needed the space and it was either the books or my children...

I haven't gotten as far as syncing my Calibre books with Goodreads; I just created a bookshelf in BC called "e-reader" (with a "z" before it so it would be at the bottom of my Goodreads bookshelf list) and I've added a number of books to that. I use it when I write a review of one of my e-books for Goodreads, in addition to whatever genre shelves I add it to. I have too many e-books to put them all into Goodreads; it would just muddy my shelves up with "crap" books that were free (or nearly so) but will probably get deleted after I read the first several terrible pages.

It would certainly simplify my life to have the same bookshelves on Goodreads that I have in Calibre (using metadata tags or custom fields), but I feel like it will be a pain in the rear so I haven't attempted it yet. (Mostly because in Calibre I have created a set of shelves for my husband's Kobo reader using a custom metadata field and I want to duplicate it exactly in the tags metadata to use with my Sony, and I haven't even figured that part out yet.)

Courtney
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
cghipp
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips01 View Post
Any iOS app with similar capabilities?
I looked for something through the App Store on my laptop, and the closest thing I found was called "Book Crawler." The description states that you can look up Goodreads reviews for your books, but it doesn't mention syncing. It does say you can import CSV files and I would think it could also export them, but that wasn't stated. It costs $15, FYI.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Are Library thing and Good Reads rival services or do they compliment each other?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
cghipp
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Are Library thing and Good Reads rival services or do they compliment each other?
They are similar services; I don't know if there is any relationship between them. I would think they would be competitors.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
I'm quite new to both services. Seems like mostly competitors. GR has an iOS app and seems smoother interface wise, while LT has way better search options/available titles to add ...
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
movingmomma
movingmomma began at the beginning.

Device: nexus 7 2nd gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I use both & thought I'd weigh in. While LibraryThing & Goodreads are similar, I use LibraryThing to catalog books I own & Goodreads to catalog books I've read. They are each primarily built for those specified functions & while you can use either for both, I find it helpful to use them separately.
movingmomma is offline   Reply With Quote