Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Odd Behavior in Author Metadata in latest update (8.10)

OK - I have been trying to figure this one out to no avail. Ever since I updated to 8.10 a strange thing seems to be happening when I download metadata.

The title isn't appearing - but instead what appears to be an edition tag seems to be inserted there instead.

So for example instead of getting "Book Title" or "Book Title, 2nd Edition" - I am getting "Edition 2".

I also note the word order - as it seems to be generating it in that specific order - not "Second Edition" but "Edition 2".

I have tried to figure out how/why it is doing this - and how to alter it - but to no avail.

Anyone have a clue (is this happening to anyone else)?
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
Philosopher
Connoisseur

To add further info - it does not always do this - but quite often.

And I have never had it happen before.

I wonder if this happens when a book's metadata includes an entry for the edition of the text - and somehow when this exists - it replaces the title. But this is just a guess.
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Philosopher
Connoisseur

Of course it could be a simple coincidence - that for some reason the metadata that is out there for the particular books that I have encountered this with - have that text as its title.

But I suspect it is something else - primarily because it (a) always has edition as the title (rather than the title), (b) always has it in that form "Edition #", and (c) never has anything else (even if different from the text of the title).

And the books were from different publishers, etc.

But one thing that I have to add is that all the books that I have downloaded metadata for (and have had this happen with) since updating to 8.10 have been in the same general category (language and linguistics in particular) - so its not been entirely random, but I would think there was enough variance for this to be more than mere coincidence - particularly since occurred a significant number of times (and all since updating - and never before).

I add these details in case this helps anyone to figure out what is going on.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
What do you have for book info prior to downloading metadata? Give us an example so we can see what you're seeing.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Philosopher
Connoisseur

OK - this is the latest example I have had of this:

TITLE: German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German, revised edition
AUTHOR: April Wilson
isbn:0-8204-6759-6

When I download the metadata - the title is replaced by: Edition 4
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher View Post

I don't author, title turned on.
I reviewed the Log and did not see 'Edition 4'
there.

I DID see:
Code:
****************************** ISBNDB ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.472.63 Safari/534.3')] 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from ISBNDB took 0.71799993515 
Failed to make query to ISBNDb, aborting.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\isbndb.py", line 109, in identify
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\isbndb.py", line 216, in make_query
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\isbndb.py", line 154, in parse_feed
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'find' 

********************************************************************************
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@philosopher: You've got some plugin that is returning that metadata. Look at the log to find out which one it is.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The downloaded metadata from Barnes and Noble reported Edition 4 as the title. If you don't want your title overwritten by downloaded metadata then go into configure download metadata (see attached) and uncheck title.

Spoiler:

Starting download
Query: title:German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German, revised edition; authors:April Wilson; isbn:0820467596
Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'April Wilson'], u'identifiers': {u'isbn': u'0820467596'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German, revised edition'}
Using plugins: Fantastic Fiction, Barnes & Noble, Goodreads, Amazon.com
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Fantastic Fiction ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Fantastic Fiction took 0.75
Querying ISBN: http://plu.fantasticfiction.co.uk/cg...sbn=0820467596
Querying: http://db.fantasticfiction.co.uk/cgi...y+April+Wilson
No matches found

************************************************** ******************************

****************************** Goodreads ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Found 1 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 1.375

---
Title : German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German
Author(s) : April Wilson
Publisher : Peter Lang Publishing
Rating : 3.38
Published : 1989-01-01T00:00:00+00:00
Identifiers : isbn:9780820467597, goodreads:446074
Comments :
German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German, is a thorough, straightforward textbook with a sense of fun. It teaches the fundamentals for reading German literary and scholarly texts of all levels of difficulty. It can be used as an introductory text for scholars with no background in German, or it can serve as a reference text for students wishing to review German. The grammar explanations are detailed and clear, addressing common problems students encounter while learning to read German. The book includes thought-provoking and entertaining reading selections, consisting mainly of aphorisms and proverbs. There are also 12 appendices, including a summary of German grammar, a partial answer key, strategies for learning German, and an extensive humanities vocabulary. April Wilson has been offering German reading courses to graduate students in the University of Chicago community since 1972. Her courses have an excellent reputation for providing students with the essentials of German grammar, quickly.

Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=0820467596
ISBN match location: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/446074.German_Quickly'
Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/446074.German_Quickly'

************************************************** ******************************

****************************** Amazon.com ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.11) Gecko/20101012 Firefox/3.6.11')]
Found 1 results
Downloading from Amazon.com took 3.17199993134

---
Title : German Quickly
Publisher : Peter Lang
Language : en
Rating : 4.5
Published : 2007-06-08T00:00:00+00:00
Identifiers : amazon:0820467596, isbn:9780820467597
Comments :
Review
"Anybody studying German for reading knowledge or simply reviewing German grammar should be thankful that this book exists". —_Wolfgang Mieder, _Proverbium
"The grammar analysis is concise and clear, taking into account stumbling blocks actually encountered by students while reading German. " --—_Ferdinand Piedmont, Indiana University_
Product Description
German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German is a thorough, straightforward textbook with a sense of fun. It teaches the fundamentals for reading German literary and scholarly texts of all levels of difficulty. It can be used as an introductory text for scholars with no background in German, or it can serve as a reference text for students wishing to review German. The grammar explanations are detailed and clear, addressing common problems students encounter while learning to read German. This book includes thought-provoking and entertaining reading selections consisting mainly of aphorisms and proverbs. There are also twelve appendices, including a summary of German grammar, descriptions of German dictionaries, a partial answer key, strategies for learning German, and a humanities vocabulary section of about 3,800 words.

****************************** Barnes & Noble ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.153.1 Safari/525.19')]
Found 1 results
Downloading from Barnes & Noble took 9.625

---
Title : Edition 4
Publisher : Peter Lang Pub Inc
Rating : 4.0
Published : 2004-03-01T00:00:00+00:00
Identifiers : barnesnoble:German-Quickly/April-Wilson/e/9780820467597, isbn:9780820467597
Comments :
Synopsis:
German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German, is a thorough, straightforward textbook with a sense of fun. It teaches the fundamentals for reading German literary and scholarly texts of all levels of difficulty. It can be used as an introductory text for scholars with no background in German, or it can serve as a reference text for students wishing to review German. The grammar explanations are detailed and clear, addressing common problems students encounter while learning to read German. The book includes thought-provoking and entertaining reading selections, consisting mainly of aphorisms and proverbs. There are also 12 appendices, including a summary of German grammar, a partial answer key, strategies for learning German, and an extensive humanities vocabulary.
April Wilson has been offering German reading courses to graduate students in the University of Chicago community since 1972. Her courses have an excellent reputation for providing students with the essentials of German grammar, quickly.

Querying: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...EAN=0820467596
ISBN match location: u'http://search.barnesandnoble.com/German-Quickly/April-Wilson/e/9780820467597'
B&N url: u'http://search.barnesandnoble.com/German-Quickly/April-Wilson/e/9780820467597'

The identify phase took 9.84 seconds
The longest time (9.625000) was taken by: Barnes & Noble
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates
We have 1 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	configure download metadata.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	74810   Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata_isbn.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	74811  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-25-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
Philosopher
Connoisseur

Hmmm. Thanks.

Is there a way to tell it to only not download titles from Barnes and Noble?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Hmmm. Thanks.

Is there a way to tell it to only not download titles from Barnes and Noble?
No, but you can choose from where you download metadata. Look at the attachment in my post above.