Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
ijbrewst
ijbrewst began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Screen Rotation on Dell Inspiron 6000

Has anyone managed to rotate the screen 90 deg on a Dell Inspiron 6000? Mine has the display adapter ATI Mobility Radeon X300 Version 8.162.0.0.

I have tried iRotate and the often recommended CTRL+ALT+arrow keys, but no go. I have tried selecting 90 deg left etc under the ATI system page.
All these efforts just produce a change in resolution but no rotation.
ijbrewst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Do you have a desktop manager or anything similar installed that could be overriding the ATI settings? I know there are ways to lock orientation (we used something at my old job to keep the jokesters from turning the training computer displays upside down) but I'm drawing a blank on the specifics.

Sometimes the ATI software can get weird, and an update often fixes it. I have no idea if that's part of your problem, but it's worth looking for an update.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
ijbrewst

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Do you have a desktop manager or anything similar installed that could be overriding the ATI settings? I have no idea if that's part of your problem, but it's worth looking for an update.
Thanks for these thoughts. AFAIK I only have Windows XP operating. I will search around the set-up. I did look for an update, but didn't find a direct replacement - I was led to apparently newer ATI products and was a bit wary of trying to install these with my limited knowledge.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijbrewst View Post
Thanks for these thoughts. AFAIK I only have Windows XP operating. I will search around the set-up. I did look for an update, but didn't find a direct replacement - I was led to apparently newer ATI products and was a bit wary of trying to install these with my limited knowledge.
You won't hear me telling you to do otherwise - updating ATI drivers and software ranks at the bottom of "things I like doing to computers". I don't know what it is about their stuff but it never goes exactly the way it should for me.

My Compaq Presario (Win XP) has ATI Radeon Xpress and though I love, love, love the flexibility and functionality of the ATI Catalyst Control Panel, especially for using dual monitors, getting the software updated after a clean install nearly drove me insane.

Hopefully someone else might see this and think of something else that might help your problem.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
ijbrewst

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

My Compaq Presario (Win XP) has ATI Radeon Xpress and though I love, love, love the flexibility and functionality of the ATI Catalyst Control Panel, especially for using dual monitors, getting the software updated after a clean install nearly drove me insane.
Noting your avatar, I will steer clear of repeating your experience!
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijbrewst View Post
Noting your avatar, I will steer clear of repeating your experience!
I doubt that my love for Van Gogh's lesser known works is related to my ATI issues, but it's entirely possible that I might be predisposed to such an effect...