Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Unicode Fonts for International Kindle

I've updated the hack so now it works in K2i as well. Details can be found here: Unicode Hack for International Kindle

I've tested it on my device and it installs and uninstalls just fine. I've also tested this new version of the hack on K2US and Kindle DX - no problems either. If you have V0.1 of the hack there is no reason to update. Functionally they are identical. Most of the changes are in the way files are installed and uninstalled.

Some people have asked for 100% clean uninstall so I've implemented it.

I've also tested screensaver hack to K2i from the other thread and it works fine with UFH.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Excellent!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
Does anyone know of a unicode font that's good to read and includes simplified Chinese characters and also the German umlauts (ä,ö,ü, and also ß)? Droid mixes up the German letters.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can I send you Thai prc ebook and Thai fonts for you to test?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Sure thing - I can do this.
However fonts should not violate copyright law.
You can find the contact information at http://blogkindle.com/contact-us/
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
UFC Font Hack - Georgia Font - Kindle 2 International (-k2iex version)

Here's the UFC Hack font using the Georgia font (normal, bold, italic and bold-italic). Included is the version that requires the jailbreak (-k2i), and the -k2iex version that does not require a pre-jailbreak (jailbreak is included in the BIN file). I have not tested the -k2iex file, but used the exact same font files as in the non-ex. Remember, all this is always at your own risk, especially with the font hack, and you can brick your Kindle - you alone are culpable.

Below are a couple of screen shots (looks better on the Kindle, and this is with a line spacing of 7). Unzip, drag the update BIN file of your choice to the root folder of your Kindle 2 International, and UPDATE your Kindle from Home, Menu, Settings, Menu, Update Your Kindle (don't Restart). If you install this update, please post your results. Enjoy.

Attached Files
File Type: zip UFC_Georgia_Kindle2_International.zip (2.34 MB, 617 views)

Last edited by edge777; 11-18-2009 at 12:38 AM.
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge777 View Post
and the -k2iex version that does not require a pre-jailbreak (jailbreak is included in the BIN file).
Minor correction: the -k2iex does not include the jailbreak ; it doesn't leave any jailbreaking stuff in place once installation is complete
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
swede
swede began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Intl
Regarding unicode font hacks. I installed the Droid version for my Kindle 2 International, and it looked very sweet, but didnt display the swedish chars (åäö), is it possible to make a international version of the droid fonts?
swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
Minor correction: the -k2iex does not include the jailbreak ; it doesn't leave any jailbreaking stuff in place once installation is complete
Thank-you, that is correct. From my understanding, it does what is necessary to install the hack, installs the hack, and then removes whatever it needed to do in the first place, leaving the hack in place with no jailbreak residue.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree with Swede, would be nice if somebody could help with putting together a hack with unicode fonts that include the swedish and also the German characters (ä,ü,ö,ß). I think somebody else also said that droid doesn't include special characters from Spanish and some other languages. Would be great to be able to read Chinese (simplified - droid has those characters) and German on my kindle with the same font.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindasauge View Post
I agree with Swede, would be nice if somebody could help with putting together a hack with unicode fonts that include the swedish and also the German characters (ä,ü,ö,ß). I think somebody else also said that droid doesn't include special characters from Spanish and some other languages. Would be great to be able to read Chinese (simplified - droid has those characters) and German on my kindle with the same font.
If you would like to send me the font files (TTF) that include these characters, I'll see what I can do (normal, bolt, italic and bolt-italic). That being said, the Georgia font I posted above does have all those characters (I just checked).

Last edited by edge777; 11-19-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
swede

Im not a master of fonts but found two package here;

http://damieng.com/blog/2007/11/14/d...oogle-ascender

i could download them, unzip and it seemed to display the swedish characters all right on my Win 7.

Is these the same droid fonts that already are in the utf-font hack?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #13
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

Full UFH Droid hack (Serif, Sans, Normal - Regular, Bold, Italic, BoldItalic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post
Im not a master of fonts but found two package here;

http://damieng.com/blog/2007/11/14/d...oogle-ascender

i could download them, unzip and it seemed to display the swedish characters all right on my Win 7.

Is these the same droid fonts that already are in the utf-font hack?
Those fonts actually look really great. The Droid hack ONLY contains the Normal Sans, so this is much better, thanks!

I've created files for the Kindle 2, Kindle 2 International, and the Kindle DX (all three BIN files are in the attached ZIP file). I haven't tested them, but all the font files validated fine, so it should be good (again, always be careful and this is at your own risk). I used the -k2iex hash for the International, so no need to jailbreak beforehand.

These files contain the Serif, Sans and Normal fonts of the Droid family, with Regular, Bold, Italic, and BoldItalic, and appear to be freely licensed for distribution. Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip UFH_Droid_Full.zip (3.24 MB, 707 views)
Old 11-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #14
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur

Thanks, edge777. Unfortunately this Droid font doesn't have Chinese characters. Not sure about your Georgia font, my Kindle 2 is non-international. But the Font hack with Georgia font from https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...-install-files doesn't have Chinese. I really like the Helvetica2 font from the same page. If somebody could get Chinese characters (from Droid or even better from Simsun or Arial Unicode) combined with that font I'd be really happy!!
Old 11-21-2009, 05:06 AM   #15
swede

Cool, now the swedish charaters display right! And the droid fonts are nice.

But... one is never really satisifed.... I really think that the prvious Droid-font looked better, with just Sans-serif-version looked better =) could you do a version without sans, so the same typeface that are used in title an bottom (Locations 69-72 for example) is used

=)