Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
clearlakeoakie
clearlakeoakie doesn't litterclearlakeoakie doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation Windows Defender crashing Calibre! Help!

I'm running Windows 64 bit Vista and just completed a Definition Update for Windows Defender (KB915597). Now every time I try to run Calibre (0.8.7) Windows Defender causes Calibre to stop working. I've tried several fixes to no avail, and Windows does not allow this update to be uninstalled. Any suggestions? I'm lost without my Calibre!
clearlakeoakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm, try this build of calibre

http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...ibre-0.8.7.msi
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
clearlakeoakie

Thanks for your quick response, your software and your technical support are unsurpassed!! I actually was running the latest version of Calibre (0.8.7) so I uninstalled it, and reinstalled version 0.84 (it was the version I was previously using) and now all is working great again! Hopefully your next revision will work with my system, or maybe good old Microsoft's next definition update will correct the problem. I hate Windows Defender, but Microsoft does not provide an easy way to disable it, so I try to work with it.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlakeoakie View Post
I actually was running the latest version of Calibre (0.8.7)
When he pointed you to a build of 0.8.7 it was a special build of 0.8.7, not the standard one you had installed on your machine, that may have fixed your problem but since you didn't try it I guess we'll never know.

Now that 0.8.8 is out have you tried it? Does it work for you?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Not to be a PITA, but while OK, there are better/alternative security apps other than Windows Defender...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
clearlakeoakie

In response to Dwanthny ..... I should have clicked on the link that I was given, I just assumed since the version number was the same, that it would have been the same build that I was using .... guess I screwed up...... I did install the lastest version this evening and all is working well again....... thanks for your time and input...
Old 07-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlakeoakie View Post
In response to Dwanthny ..... I should have clicked on the link that I was given, I just assumed since the version number was the same, that it would have been the same build that I was using
It is reasonable to have been confused. Rule of thumb, if the creator of the program provides you a link to a build it is mostly likely part of troubleshooting aimed at fixing your problem.

I'm glad to hear that everything is working now.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Indeed. Also glad the OP got it sorted out.

Perhaps also a good opportunity to remind ourselves how very, very lucky we are here at MR to have Mr. Goyal and his erstwhile calibre team as such active members. I am only here officially on MR for a short while and man-oh-man, Kovid really takes time out to respond to calibre inquiries. Awesome and so very rare.

THANK YOU KOVID and EVERYONE at calibre.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dep, kb915597, windows defender