Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #106
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
A. Sparrow,

Thanks for posting this! Not only for the free read, but tipping me off to smashwords, which I didn't know anything about.
You can find find great stuff on Smashwords, including a couple of former best-selling authors (i.e. Anne Frasier). I really like Patrick Whittaker's writing too, not so much for the content but his style is really elegant.

If you would like a place to see sneak previews of indie work under development, try: http://authonomy.com You can't download anything, but its a great place to discover new writing that may soon end up available on Smashwords or Amazon. It's where I post work that's not quite ready for primetime.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #107
stephanievoid
Indie Author
stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
That's really great! I hope it leads to a book contract or something cool like that!

How did you promote it to get that many downloads?

Stephanie
[promotion delete - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-26-2012 at 12:24 PM.
stephanievoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #108
kc5cychris
Connoisseur
kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-900
Congratulations! was an excellent read looking forward to the next one.
kc5cychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #109
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanievoid View Post
That's really great! I hope it leads to a book contract or something cool like that!

How did you promote it to get that many downloads?

Stephanie
Author of Life and Times of a Minion e-book
stephanievoid.com
Most of the promotion was done right here, but I found that giving away free copies on LibraryThing.com was almost as effective in getting a crowd of readers involved. It was a mixed blessing though, as they tend to be a lot harsher critics over there. But all critique is good. It makes our writing stronger.

I'm over 1,400 samples, and 700 full downloads now.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #110
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5cychris View Post
Congratulations! was an excellent read looking forward to the next one.
It's gettin' there. Every chapter of the next book has already been written, but I'm taking great pains with the revisions. I've cut away the fat and added some meat here in there, and getting it into shape a paragraph at a time. There is one major anachronism/redundancy that needs to be solved and one action scene that needs to be totally re-choreographed. Also, one new character seems to run out of relevancy halfway through. I may have to kill off the poor bloke if he doesn't quit standing around with his hands in his pockets! But other than these points, it will be ready for line-editing. A release is in sight if not imminent.

I expect another totally different novel to follow before the year is up. This one's been done a while, just needs a bunch of cutting and re-writing. It was 185k words and I've gotten it down to 166k and shrinking.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #111
ASparrow
Addict

Yup. Still free.

I hope my constant posting isn't annoying people. If so, let me know, and I'll retire these threads.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #112
ASparrow
Addict

When has it ever not been free?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #113
ASparrow
Addict

Update on "Peregrin." It's still not ready for prime time. I've printed it out and hauled it with me to London, where it is rapidly accumulating red ink. I expect major revisions to commence upon my return.

But the first book, Xenolith, will remain free indefinitely.

I have no interest in falsely creating a sense of value in the readers by forcing them to pay. I don't believe in such subterfuge. I have found great value in free works and am not so easily fooled by the lack of a price tag. Free does not always equal rubbish (except, perhaps in this case!).
Old 02-09-2010, 05:10 AM   #114
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASparrow View Post
Free does not always equal rubbish (except, perhaps in this case!).
While free does quite often equate with rubbish Xenolith is definitely not in that category, it was the best book I read last year (out of about 200 reads.)

It can also, sadly, be said that a price tag on a book does not automatically make it a good read.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #115
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
While free does quite often equate with rubbish Xenolith is definitely not in that category, it was the best book I read last year (out of about 200 reads.)

It can also, sadly, be said that a price tag on a book does not automatically make it a good read.
Thanks! I tend to self-deprecate a little too much. Makes for good quality control.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #116
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thank you for the coupon code for your book. Just downloaded and and can't wait to read it
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #117
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSays View Post
Thank you for the coupon code for your book. Just downloaded and and can't wait to read it
Hope you like it. Some do. Others tell me it's not "amazing," but it's not "horrible." I agree.

I'd love to hear about anything that bothered or bored you about this book. I'm striving to do better with the sequel.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #118
ASparrow
Addict

First attempt at a book trailer

This was done on some very crude equipment, namely: an ipod nano, a Belkin microphone and a Canon A80 point and shoot camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXkd53qYtO0

Software: Audacity and Windows Movie Maker

Last edited by ASparrow; 02-14-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #119
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Not bad considering your limited resources

I just never really understand the use for a book trailer thru the internet? Do you have it embedded in various places for marketing or just post on youtube?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #120
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Good job. I gave you a 4 star at YouTube.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, fantasy, free