Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #46
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Thanks v3.3 here I go.

Edit 2011-11-01
Done. I now have firmware 3.3 installed, all my hacks working fine, a recovery kernel flashed, and I have created as update_filesystem.bin as a future safeguard.

Last edited by PoP; 11-02-2011 at 08:40 AM.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #47
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
changing some files under /opt, recovery menu didn't export full partitions but only the fat32 one. I was able to recover in another way, anyway does someone know why did this happen? I thought Recovery mode was quite autonomous from every file apart the kernel.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #48
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Maybe you didn't install the custom kernel or amazon removed it from an ota update? Did you press key '3'?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #49
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I pressed alt+e, it correctly exports system partition with original files from 3.3, changing /opt with what is in 4.0.1 I get only mass storage. Why should I use '3'? It's not reported in the choices.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #50
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
I pressed alt+e, it correctly exports system partition with original files from 3.3, changing /opt with what is in 4.0.1 I get only mass storage. Why should I use '3'? It's not reported in the choices.
Because that's the key I said to use on the first post, lol.
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #51
giorgio130
Time Waster

Oh I see, You mean '3' as the shortcut for it is alt+e. That's exactly what I did then. It's not possible that I got an update and I'd say the kernel is installed correctly since I'm not asked for a password. It's just that some file under /opt has influence on how recovery works, and I didn't have any idea.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #52
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Oh I see, You mean '3' as the shortcut for it is alt+e. That's exactly what I did then. It's not possible that I got an update and I'd say the kernel is installed correctly since I'm not asked for a password. It's just that some file under /opt has influence on how recovery works, and I didn't have any idea.
I do not understand what you are talking about. What do you mean? Did it work or not?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #53
giorgio130
Time Waster

Ok, I'll try to make myself clearer. It works perfectly until I don't touch files under /opt. If I change those with some taken from 4.0.1, the behaviour of recovery changes, it exports only the partition accessible to normal users. So this is not a safe net against all types of bricking, I'd say it has some limits.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #54
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
I don't think you're right; recovery mode initramfs is independent from kindle rootfs. In other words it works for me even when rootfs is completely whiped out.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #55
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Ok, I'll try to make myself clearer. It works perfectly until I don't touch files under /opt. If I change those with some taken from 4.0.1, the behaviour of recovery changes, it exports only the partition accessible to normal users. So this is not a safe net against all types of bricking, I'd say it has some limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
I don't think you're right; recovery mode initramfs is independent from kindle rootfs. In other words it works for me even when rootfs is completely whiped out.
Exactly, that's what I was confused about. The kernel is independent from the system files. Maybe you did not flash it correctly the first time?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #56
giorgio130
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Exactly, that's what I was confused about. The kernel is independent from the system files. Maybe you did not flash it correctly the first time?
No, that's impossible, it's reproducible. My guess is that in 4.0.1 before starting framework there's a check for integrity of the recovery tools, and some changes get reverted. Something to dig in.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #57
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
No, that's impossible, it's reproducible. My guess is that in 4.0.1 before starting framework there's a check for integrity of the recovery tools, and some changes get reverted. Something to dig in.
I would have thought so too, but you mentioned only /opt/ right? The startup files are in /etc though.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #58
GiBraiNe
GiBraiNe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3.3 Jailbroken
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Here's fresh custom 3.3 kernel, which I've just compiled and installed. Have fun.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/kin...tom_kernel.zip
Hello!,

Tried to install this one ... but it fails. I guess my Kindle is already bricked/with bad flash . Actually everything works fine (I have it jailbroken, with SS, USBNet, TTSMod, LaunchPad, doukan, etc... but having issues with my 3G connection, so wanted to install this one and try to re-flash fw 3.3 ---)

When updated to FW3.3 it failed the first time, but rebooted, did it again and was able to see FW3.3 in the bottom of the screen ... but now I cant use 3G, never finds a signal and the 311 menu never appears, I did the ENABLE_DIAGS trick and all tests passed but 3G/WLAN tests FAIL ... so did a system restore and now even cant register it with amazon!, it says doesnt have internet when WIFI works fine in the Kindle browser... I this point have never jailbroken the kindle (but I had Doukan when updated to 3.3), so I just did jailbroke and installing anything that can help me to get my kindle fixed...

Hope you can help me, kindly let me know if I need to open a separate thread.
GiBraiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #59
GiBraiNe
GiBraiNe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3.3 Jailbroken
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiBraiNe View Post
Hello!,

Tried to install this one ... but it fails. I guess my Kindle is already bricked/with bad flash . Actually everything works fine (I have it jailbroken, with SS, USBNet, TTSMod, LaunchPad, doukan, etc... but having issues with my 3G connection, so wanted to install this one and try to re-flash fw 3.3 ---)

When updated to FW3.3 it failed the first time, but rebooted, did it again and was able to see FW3.3 in the bottom of the screen ... but now I cant use 3G, never finds a signal and the 311 menu never appears, I did the ENABLE_DIAGS trick and all tests passed but 3G/WLAN tests FAIL ... so did a system restore and now even cant register it with amazon!, it says doesnt have internet when WIFI works fine in the Kindle browser... I this point have never jailbroken the kindle (but I had Doukan when updated to 3.3), so I just did jailbroke and installing anything that can help me to get my kindle fixed...

Hope you can help me, kindly let me know if I need to open a separate thread.
UPDATE: Even when the custom firmware installation failed, I tried accessing to the recovery mode, and worked! so tried to install FW 3.3 again using recovery mode ..., the kindle restarted and then got fully bricked, the first screen when restarts came permanently, and no kind of restart helped , I called Amazon and they replaced my Kindle with a new one! ... guess will not try anything risky again ... thanks so much for reading/help.
GiBraiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #60
trex_daemon
Enthusiast
trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle 3 Wifi
I had a bricked kinde. I've reflashed into it everything (kernel, rootfs, mmc0) from a backup I had from a different kindle.
Now it starts, but the old files still show up in the kindle's menu, even if the exported partition was formatted).
I've connected a serial console to it, but for some reason the TX is not working (probably for the level shifter i've used wrong diodes), but the txt does.
I've tried to update with this kernel, so I can export the whole partition, but I'm getting the following error:
*** CHECKING /mnt-us/update_kindle_3.3_custom_kernel_k3w.bin ***
INFO:do_unbundle: filename=/mnt-us/update_kindle_3.3_custom_kernel_k3w.bin, new_file=0x0000db70
ERROR:OTA bundles are not supported.ERROR:do_unbundle: parse_sysbundle_header failed with error code 22
ERROR:Could not unbundle /mnt-us/update_kindle_3.3_custom_kernel_k3w.bin
INFO:removing /mnt-us/update_kindle_3.3_custom_kernel_k3w.bin

Any idea why ? What's the right procedure to install this kernel ?
trex_daemon is offline   Reply With Quote