Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
They've said 5 cycles for other devices, I don't know if they've said anything specifically for the DR800 though. Lasting only 4 days sounds like the meter would be WAY off if that's really the only problem.
I didn't check the meter, simply let it charge over night. After about 8 hours it should be charged enough.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #17
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
I went on a trip over last weekend and left my 800SG not touched for at least 3 days. I also noticed about 20% drop in battery during this period.

There is definitely something wrong with the power management.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
iRex stated, you can't turn it off. You only can go into standby. Either by briefly flicking the switch or by letting it go into standby on its own.
Which one do you do? Maybe if you're letting it go into standby on it's own there's something that is preventing it? I always flick the switch to put it into standby when I'm done reading.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
I went on a trip over last weekend and left my 800SG not touched for at least 3 days. I also noticed about 20% drop in battery during this period.

There is definitely something wrong with the power management.
You're not going to see 0 drop. The device does not get turned off. Look at it this way, iLiad users are lucky if they can get 15 hours on a charge. A 20% drop in 3 days is awesome.

Seriously though, mine lasted about 2 weeks on a charge, which is pretty good. 20% drop in 3 days would have given you 15 days at the same rate of drop. Do you consider 2 weeks of standby as an indication that something is wrong?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #20
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
To go back to mgmueller's original point - full to empty in four days of doing nothing suggests something wrong. Whilst I appreciate that is difficult to give accurate estimates of expected battery life, or charge life, it would be really helpful if one of the chaps (and I use that word to mean chapesses as well) from IREX could give us some indication of what it would be reasonable for users to expect.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which one do you do? Maybe if you're letting it go into standby on it's own there's something that is preventing it? I always flick the switch to put it into standby when I'm done reading.
I always flick as well.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #22
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
You're not going to see 0 drop. The device does not get turned off. Look at it this way, iLiad users are lucky if they can get 15 hours on a charge. A 20% drop in 3 days is awesome.

Seriously though, mine lasted about 2 weeks on a charge, which is pretty good. 20% drop in 3 days would have given you 15 days at the same rate of drop. Do you consider 2 weeks of standby as an indication that something is wrong?
15 days of standby would be okay, 4 aren't. But my understanding was, from standby it goes to off after some time. When "off", my Kindles and others last for weeks.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #23
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I am wondering whether Shaggy is Irex's PR personnel. I have read many of his posts and found that he has consistently defended and up talked Irex's products, especially DR800. Just wondering....
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #24
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:

2 weeks on one charge is pretty good, especially comparing with iLiad and DR1000. I can certainly live with that.

However, normally "suspend/standby" means just keeping the DRAM alive and all other components in standby mode. So it will be interesting to understand how they implemented the suspend mode on DR800, either by asking IREX guys, or reading through the source code.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
I am wondering whether Shaggy is Irex's PR personnel. I have read many of his posts and found that he has consistently defended and up talked Irex's products, especially DR800. Just wondering....
I've always been a strong supporter of iRex as well, permanently recommending iLiad as the best PDF reader out there.
And I really like the iRex developers here in the forum.
But iRex 800 in many areas is extremely disappointing for me. Not the first, probably not the last disappointing gadget. But for now it already has dropped to the lower half of my list, not using it anymore...
And their support is lame, typical European unfortunately I have to say. That's where the US companies really shine. I've sent iRex a brief eMail about my disappointment and iLiad in parallel dying on me. No reaction, except a brief standard reply. Amazon, as some of my friends found out in person, reacts way more customer-oriented...

EDIT: Just got an eMail (proactively, without me contacting them) from Thom, the service manager of iRex. They follow this (and others) thread and opened a service case.
I have to take back my harsh words from above, of course that's excellent service.
I apologise. I guess, my iLiad just dying on me and in parallel iRex 800 suddenly being totally discharged got me "on the wrong foot".

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-15-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #26
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
15 days of standby would be okay, 4 aren't. But my understanding was, from standby it goes to off after some time. When "off", my Kindles and others last for weeks.
It does not go "off" unless the battery gets drained. One of their developers clarified the behavior in another thread, but the manual is either wrong or misleading.

When you flick the switch it goes into standby. If you don't flick the switch and just leave it alone, after a certain amount of time it goes into standby. If you press and hold the switch it will reboot. The device never completely turns off unless the battery runs low.

Standby should let it last for weeks (2 in my case, so far). There definitely seems to be something wrong if yours drained in 4 days, assuming it really was 100% charged when you started.

Last edited by Shaggy; 03-12-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #27
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
I apologize for trying to help clarify how the standby mode works. I guess I should have ignored mgmueller and not tried to help figure out what was happening. I'll do my best to remember in the future that "trying to help" is the same as being a PR shill.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #28
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
However, normally "suspend/standby" means just keeping the DRAM alive and all other components in standby mode.
Yes, but are you expecting it would last longer in that mode? 2 weeks seems to be pretty close to what the other devices are getting in similar modes. I'm not sure what your expectations are regarding the standby time.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #29
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Yes, but are you expecting it would last longer in that mode? 2 weeks seems to be pretty close to what the other devices are getting in similar modes. I'm not sure what your expectations are regarding the standby time.
I'll start a poll right ahead, what duration the other users of iRex 800 have.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-12-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #30
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I'll star a poll right ahead, what duration the other users of iRex 800 have.
Good idea. It would be nice to have an idea of what people are seeing.