Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
dcpyke
dcpyke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Books show in italics

Hi,

This is a recent thing that been happening but I'm not sure what's causing it.

I convert the books to lrf with calibre. I've check the file afterwards with the software viewer and it's fine but when it copies to the reader it's all in italics.

Has anyone else come across this issue?
dcpyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpyke View Post
Hi,

I convert the books to lrf with calibre. I've check the file afterwards with the software viewer and it's fine but when it copies to the reader it's all in italics.

I've had that problem with lrfs, too, especially the ones here from Mobileread (unconverted), as well as ones converted with Calibre. Italics and little squishy fonts.

No, I haven't figured out why, as I replaced my default font, but it's one of the reasons I tend to convert to epub instead of lrf.

Maybe someone more 'techy' than I am can tell us why this happens.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
If you change the Reader fonts, make sure you either update the eBook Library to use the exactly same fonts or copy your LRFs not using the EBL.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
If you change the Reader fonts, make sure you either update the eBook Library to use the exactly same fonts or copy your LRFs not using the EBL.
I only use Calibre for loading books to the Reader - never have used the EBL.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Hi,

I've had a related issue with RTF files. Sometimes, the text in my ebooks will render in the default san-serif typeface on my reader regardless of the typeface used in the original document. One post suggested using a specific typeface (Times New Roman to get the default serif typeface) but it did not cause the correct typeface to display consistently on my reader (with some ebooks it does, with others it does not).

This is the main reason I render my ebooks as PDFs. No matter the typeface I choose, it renders correctly when I format my ebooks as PDFs.

On the subject of the EBook Library (EBL), I've had no significant problems with it as long as I don't work with it live (meaning my ebook reader is connected to my computer while I'm using the EBL). I've set it to sync my collections to both my ebook reader's internal memory and to an SD card and my ebooks transfer to my reader perfectly.

What I've found works best is that I:

- Do all of my EBL work first (loading ebooks into the EBL, putting them in the appropriate collection, and removing books from collections and from the EBL).

- Connect my reader to my computer.

- Let it fully synchronize with the EBL.

- Safely remove the reader from my computer.

I've also found doing it this way reduces the amount of time it takes for my ebook reader to reload the library after disconnecting it from my computer.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
dcpyke
dcpyke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I've also tried bypassing EBL but it didn't work.

I'm not crazy about epub because the font comes out larger than I'd like. I'm still trying to configure by reading from some of the other threads. It will probably be easier than trying to figure out lrf issue.
dcpyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
I've also tried bypassing EBL but it didn't work.

I'm not crazy about epub because the font comes out larger than I'd like. I'm still trying to configure by reading from some of the other threads. It will probably be easier than trying to figure out lrf issue.

If you're using Calibre to conver to ePub, you can set the font size to whatever you like. I believe the default is 12 pt - try 10 pt and see if that suits you better.