Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
KNotTed
KNotTed is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
Problem with the HR tag

I'm using the HR tag to create a divider between chapter sections (since the break won't always be in the middle of the page, and it would be nice to know that there is a break). However, I don't want the line to go across the whole page. For my HR tag I'm using the following CSS:
Code:
hr { 
  width: 20%; 
  border: 1px solid black; 
  background-color: black; 
  margin: 0 auto; 
}
This works fine when I preview the HTML on firefox and IE 8. However, when I open the epub in ADE and on my PRS-505 the HR is left-aligned. FWIW, I've also tried using text-align: center in the CSS for HR tags.

Does anyone have any experience/tips for correcting this?
KNotTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Here you go:
Code:
hr { 
  width: 20%; 
  border: 1px solid black; 
  background-color: black; 
  margin-left: 40%;
}
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
KNotTed

That's a good solution for the particular question. I suppose I should have been more (or less) specific. Supposing the width is not 20%, but 120pt. I'd still like to be able to center that, regardless of the display device.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Using % will automatically adjust for display width. ADE's handling of hr tags is a bit buggy and doesn't respect the normal styling options. If you absolutely need a centred rule of a specific size your best option is to embed an image.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
In particular, it seems ADE does not support "auto" margins.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNotTed View Post
I'm using the HR tag to create a divider between chapter sections (since the break won't always be in the middle of the page, and it would be nice to know that there is a break).
Why have an HR for a chapter separator? That's bad form. The proper form is to have each chapter start on a new page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why have an HR for a chapter separator? That's bad form. The proper form is to have each chapter start on a new page.
That may be true/appropriate for most books, but I don't believe that one style fits all.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
That may be true/appropriate for most books, but I don't believe that one style fits all.
But, if you keep chapters together, you risk not being mobile ADE compatible.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
KNotTed

It's not a chapter separator. It's for separating sections in chapters, like * * * in some books.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
It's not a chapter separator. It's for separating sections in chapters, like * * * in some books.
I'm tempted to use HR instead of *** because it looks like with the HR tag you can maybe add more space around it whereas the *** you have to add another blank paragraph before and after to create more space. However, I also originally had problems with the line going all the way across so I stuck with the *** because it worked at the time.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
KNotTed

Well, *** can have extra space above and below by just defining a class that specifies top and bottom margin. No need to add extra paragraph tags.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try this

Code:
<div style="width:100%;text-align:center">
<span style="width:75%; border-bottom:solid black 2px">&nbsp;</span>
</div>
Though this is rather html specific and is unlikely to translate well when converted.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Well, *** can have extra space above and below by just defining a class that specifies top and bottom margin. No need to add extra paragraph tags.
Well it's rather easy to add <P>&nbsp;</P> I'm not sure what is required for a class tag?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Here's the CSS code needed to do what the OP wants to do.

Code:
hr {
  margin-left: 40%;
  width: 20%
}
And to invoke it in the book, just do...

Code:
<hr />
Simple really.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here's the CSS code needed to do what the OP wants to do.

Simple really.
Umm, no. To quote the the original poster...

Quote:
That's a good solution for the particular question. I suppose I should have been more (or less) specific. Supposing the width is not 20%, but 120pt. I'd still like to be able to center that, regardless of the display device.
I know the center tag is deprecated, and bad form, but you might have better luck with <center><hr /></center>. (EDIT: Nevermind. Tried it, and it doesn't work in ADE, though it does work in browsers. Darn ADE.)

Last edited by frabjous; 03-03-2010 at 08:33 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, css, hr tag