Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #31
Heifzilla
Kinzilla
Heifzilla began at the beginning.

Device: KK Wifi/PW Wifi
It has happened to my PW but it only happens when the magnet in the cover is near the device somehow and seems to "confuse" it. Otherwise I have not noticed any issues with the light staying on.
Heifzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #32
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
It has happened to my PW but it only happens when the magnet in the cover is near the device somehow and seems to "confuse" it. Otherwise I have not noticed any issues with the light staying on.
Including when you fold the cover over all the way to hold the devices one-handed?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #33
morrow
Enthusiast
morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/PW/KV
I also noticed this issue with mine paperwhite today, mainly because of this thread. However, I do not have the official paperwhite cover but a cheap one from ebay that is half inch bigger than the paperwhite, thus the magnet don't really line up.
morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #34
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
This is odd. I plugged my pw into a wall charger and the light never went off. I pushed the power button, swiped to read, then pushed power again. Adsaver came on, but again light stayed on. Hmm.

Eta: I have no cover.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #35
dgdsp123
dgdsp123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW
Last night my light never when off when I used the cover to put it to sleep. I ended up having to reset the kindle to make it behave properly. Now every time I put it to sleep I will want to check to see if the light went out!!
dgdsp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
A few days ago my KPW went to sleep mode by itself because I got distracted while reading and left it on. I returned to find the sleep mode image displayed, but the light still illuminated. I thought it was a bug, so I sent an e-mail to Amazon this morning reporting an issue with the firmware. This morning I noticed that the light isn't going off even when I close the cover [if I peek through the gap at the top I can see the LEDs illuminated] or press the power button. It stays illuminated for quite some time, whereas before I was fairly sure that it was turning off immediately.

Has anybody else experienced this behavior?

BTW, just tried a full reboot while typing this message and now it's acting as I'd expect.
You are not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
This happened to me for the first time today. Usually when I open the cover, I see the light turn on a split second later, but this morning I noticed it was already on. I put it into sleep mode, but the light remained on. It was only after a reboot that the light behaved normally. I hope this isn't a frequent occurrence.
I'm trying a reboot as I write this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
Possibly.... Yes. I'm guessing the magnet is causing an issue. Unless someone here can stay theirs has the light issue and not a magnetic cover?
I have the Amazon sleeve; no magnets anywhere, just a zipper. Here's what mine is doing:

(1) When I shut the device off, the light stays on for several minutes although I also see the screensaver image.

(2) When I plug in the charger, the light stays on for the entire duration of the charge.

(3) The light also stays on whenever the Paperwhite is connected to my computer via USB, but its behavior is normal otherwise.

I just finished the reboot and the situation is unchanged. I turned the unit off, and the light stayed on for 2 minutes. I had wondered if this "delayed-off" was a feature, but as others report that their units are turning off immediately, I suppose I'd better contact Amazon.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #37
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just finished the reboot and the situation is unchanged. I turned the unit off, and the light stayed on for 2 minutes. I had wondered if this "delayed-off" was a feature, but as others report that their units are turning off immediately, I suppose I'd better contact Amazon.
How did you reboot? Holding the power button, or using the restart option in the settings menu? I did the latter and haven't had a problem since.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How did you reboot? Holding the power button, or using the restart option in the settings menu? I did the latter and haven't had a problem since.
I held the power button, but I'll give the settings menu a whirl and report back.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

@twowheels: That did the trick. Thanks! Karma coming your way!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #40
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Glad it helped!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #41
Dc5e
Dc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle 3
I had this happen a few days ago. I forget what I was doing beforehand but I put it to sleep and noticed the light was on. I turned it back on and instead the light went off. I slept it again and the light turned on, so somehow it inverted itself. I turned it back on and went to adjust the light level (the light was off) and everything was back to normal once again. It worries me to think that the light could've stayed on while it was in its (non-magnetic) case!
Dc5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #42
Heifzilla
Kinzilla
Heifzilla began at the beginning.

Device: KK Wifi/PW Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Including when you fold the cover over all the way to hold the devices one-handed?
Yup. It doesn't happen frequently that way, but it has happened. I have an Oberon cover that I added a magnet to in the cover pocket as I don't like the official Amazon cover very much but wanted the same functionality. Sometimes the magnet doesn't seem to "get through" all the leather, or the magnet doesn't exactly line up with the PW magnet, and the PW freaks out and goes off, stays on, turns off the light but leaves the book on the page (and I never have thought to try paging forward at that point so I don't know if it is still "on") and sometimes will leave the light on but will go to the screensaver. It's a quirk that I thought was just caused by my magnet hack, but apparently others are having similar issues with the official over as well?

This definitely affects battery life as well.

Last edited by Heifzilla; 10-24-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Heifzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #43
jehma
jehma began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Mine happened with the official magnetic cover. When it got into that state, even with the flap all of the way open (magnet as far away as possible), pressing the power button would go to the sleep screen, but not turn off the light. I don't think it's the magnetic cover.
This happened to me last night. I had the cover open and when I pressed the power button the Kindle would go to sleep but not turn off the light. It was fixed by a reboot.

I have no idea how it got into that state.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #44
jswinden
Nameless Being

Since Amazon just released a FW update for the Fire HD, maybe they will release one for the PW before too long. The PW certainly needs some issues addressed in the FW like this sleep issue and the font rendering inconsistencies. Unfortunately FW cannot address screen blotches and discolorations, but it can address some other issues.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #45
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It is essential that everybody who have this problem reports it to Amazon, they need to be aware of problem existence.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote