Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
whbenson
Enthusiast
whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
experience with Overdrive app on iOS devices

The Overdrive app is intended for library rentals, but you can also side load non DRM epubs and presumably others that need at Adobe ID. It has a decent reading engine that's based on webkit and also supports javascript. It has 3 options for margins, so you can come closer to the screen edge than with iBooks. One puzzlement is how you dismiss the controls at the top and bottom of the screen. A two-finger tap seems to do it, but I haven't found any description of the controls either in the app or on their website.
-Bill
whbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by whbenson View Post
The Overdrive app is intended for library rentals, but you can also side load non DRM epubs and presumably others that need at Adobe ID. It has a decent reading engine that's based on webkit and also supports javascript. It has 3 options for margins, so you can come closer to the screen edge than with iBooks. One puzzlement is how you dismiss the controls at the top and bottom of the screen. A two-finger tap seems to do it, but I haven't found any description of the controls either in the app or on their website.
-Bill
I saw this post from you, so I reinstalled the Overdrive app (I had got it ages ago but my local library is getting all precious and wont use it)... but I cannot see how you can sideload epubs onto it. Its not in my list of apps that can be sideloaded to...
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
whbenson
Enthusiast
whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whbenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The methods that work are sending yourself an e-mail attachment or via Dropbox or similar, where you hit the "share" icon bring up a list of apps. The file transfer technique via iTunes doesn't seem to be available.

Forgot to mention that image zooming isn't available in Overdrive - a feature I really miss.
-Bill
Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh OK, just that sideloading usually means drag and drop via itunes.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
I thought sideloading was getting something into the device in any unofficial way, not just through a specific app.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
whbenson
Enthusiast

It now seems logical, of course, that Overdrive would disallow the USB transfer via iTunes, since in general they would disapprove of side-*unloading*...
-Bil
Old 08-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delotte231 View Post
I thought sideloading was getting something into the device in any unofficial way, not just through a specific app.
Oh I suppose it could be, but I regard sideloading as the itunes drag and drop. Is there another way? I don't regard downloading via "Open in.." from a website as a sideload, or downloading from other sources direct to the app where possible... and have never been successful in getting books in via Phoneview on my Mac.

Do you have another method? All alternatives are welcome, you never know when you might need them