Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #106
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
the time got swallowed up by writing and enhancing at least 15 other plugins over the last few months.
Thanks for the plugins.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #107
klaas
Klaas
klaas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG (Internatioal)
okay, it sounds like the process to add the books in a controlled manner works best. I only have some 600 books in my library and only add stuff manually, convert it manually and check the result. Maybe i just stay with this approach right now. If I really get bitten by my learn python virus I maybe start with this duplicate detection thing.

Regards Klaas
klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #108
ackleybj
ackleybj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Hello, I am new to this forum, so hope I have the correct thread for this. I love Caibre and have been using it for about 2 years. I load my books individually, but I have a suggestion for a future enhancement.

I sometimes have a title that is a duplicate, but it is by a different author, for example I have 3 books 'The Game', all different books. When I get the duplicate warning box & click on details, could it show me the title & author of the ones already in my library? Then I would know if I wanted to load the duplicate.

It only shows me the title, so I have to tell it not to add the duplicate, search the library for the title to see if this is the same book I already have just in a different format. Then when I see this is a different author, I have to restart loading the book again & tell it to add the duplicate. Seeing the title & author in the duplicate warning details would make this easier & quicker.

Thanks, and sorry if this question is already answered somewhere else. I have some other questions, but will start with this one.
ackleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #109
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@ackleybj - Welcome to the Calibre forums.

Firstly, you are quite correct that if you do not have the automerge feature turned on, then Calibre treats anything with the same title as a possible duplicate, regardless of the author. I 100% agree that displaying the author with the title would make it easier to understand when you have a false positive being reported. I would suggest that you raise a feature request on the Calibre bug tracker, and hopefully Kovid or someone will either make the change or respond otherwise.

The second thing I would add is that have you considered looking at turning on the Automerge functionality, in Preferences->Adding books. Many posts in this thread have discussed this in detail (particularly the changes made to the features you have with it now). What this will give you is a duplicate detection based on authors being identical. You can choose from the dropdown what you want to do when it does detect such a duplicate. You might find this option significantly reduces the manual steps that you deal with currently.

Good luck!
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #110
ackleybj

Thanks, kiwidude. Excellent suggestion. I made the change in preferences. Don't have any current known duplicates to load & test this out. I have never added in bulk. I do have many books to load as a result of eBook week. Maybe I will try the bulk load in controlled groups. I usually tweak the tags & sometimes there is additional description content that doesn't come in, as well as sometimes missing covers and adding ratings. So have always done them individually & compare results to the site I loaded from.

I am now going to look for the correct thread for author sort issues.
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #111
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Cool, hope it does what you are looking for. Just a small note - it doesn't apply only to adding stuff in bulk. Even adding just a single book format will apply the automerge functionality once you have it enabled.

Ahh author sort. I've expressed my opinions enough on other threads on that topic. Good luck, there are plenty of threads for you to search for, it is a (too) common discussion topic.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #112
ackleybj

kiwidude, Can't believe I already had to load a duplicate title /new author & worked like a charm. No false duplicate warning. (no surprise to you, of course) Thanks a bunch.

So far no one has responded to my author sort question, so maybe tomorrow I will look for your posts on it. Right now got to catch up on my book loading that wasn't getting done while reading these threads.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #113
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Individual books

I was hoping that the plug in could be tweaked to search for individual books.

I have multiple libraries and would really like the ability to search through them to see if an individual book is duplicated in them, and have them all dump into a single place to manipulate or delete.

This could use a lot of the same features as in the Duplicate Finder, but instead of checking all books from two libraries, without being able to manipulate the books found....

All libraries, select the book(s) to check, all instances across the libraries found. Manipulate metadata or choose to delete in each book. Send them to whatever library they should go back into.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:14 PM   #114
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluaioyj View Post
I'd like to suggest that Find Duplicates's Binary Compare be enhanced to support storage and comparison by hash/digest to significant speed it up, by avoiding most/all redundant full file compares. A file compare on hash/digest could be an option if hash/digest collision false-matches are suspected, as were discovered occurring sometimes for MD5.
I bet a $10,000 donation would go a long way to helping your suggestion become reality.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #115
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
I bet a $10,000 donation would go a long way to helping your suggestion become reality.
Moderator Notice
Go even further if the suggestion was posted in the plugin thread - which is where I've moved it to ==> Find Duplicates.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duplicate