Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool mobi, rtf, and odt conversions

kovid....i use mobi files on a kindle 2. sometimes (actually a lot of the time) i read a chapter and then decide i'd like to edit the file and correct (mostly minor) some problems (you might call me finiky). so i convert the mobi file to rtf. then open it with openoffice writer to make my changes.

the first thing i must do is to delete all the tabs and replace them with the paragraph settings in openoffice. this is necessary because when i convert the odt file (i save the edited rtf as an odt) to a mobi the tabs are ignored.

so the question is why is that? why does a mobi convert to a file with tab characters that are then ignored when i convert back to a mobi? can it be fixed/changed?

thanks for a great tool
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
because the conversion pipeline is not designed to convert a -> B ->A and get back A exactly. Instead it is designed with assumptions about the most common techniques used in each format, which are then interpreted when converting to another format. And RTF is an awful intermediate format to use for this. I'd suggest using EPUB instead.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool mobi, rtf, and odt conversions

well, it works for me, i'd just hoped to eliminate some extra steps

thanks anyway
--
Alan

Last edited by alansplace; 11-29-2010 at 01:38 AM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
because the conversion pipeline is not designed to convert a -> B ->A and get back A exactly. Instead it is designed with assumptions about the most common techniques used in each format, which are then interpreted when converting to another format. And RTF is an awful intermediate format to use for this. I'd suggest using EPUB instead.
I also go to/from rtf to find & fix typos as it's the only format with a powerful spell checker & find+replace options ( in word). sigil has a find /replace but no spell check. if you can recommend an epub editor with spell check built in ( or write one!) please do so.

word is also good for finding false line or word breaks - quickly scrolling the book & pausing whenever a start of line has a red or green underline gets nearly all of them.

PS the word spell check has one big annoyance - it cannot be configured to ignore all proper names ie ignore anything with a single capital letter.. that's a must have for an ebook spell checker / typo fixer
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well, I use vim to edit epub, which is about as powerful as it gets But I'm afraid I don't keep track of GUI epub editors.
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #6
schlonz
Enthusiast
schlonz began at the beginning.

Device: PSR-300
Hello Kovid

i also have a question.
The last days i started converting RTF to epub.
The result is looking very good, but i also always try to change a thing or to.
So when i opend up the epub to edit i found this:

Code:
<p class="calibre2"><span class="none6">Irgendwie hatte der Riss sich irgendwann in der verga</span><span class="none6">n</span><span class="none6">genen Nacht wieder geschlossen. Der Fluss aus einer and</span><span class="none6">e</span><span class="none6">ren Sphäre war in sein ursprüngliches Bett zurückgekehrt.</span></p>
The Word "vergangenen" f.e. is split up in 3 parts.
And so it goes through al the text.
In the final epub it makes no difference but it looks a little bit strange to me.
I checked the rtf file but did not find anything wrong.

cu

cu
schlonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

a <span> is inserted wherever the rtf defines a new character style. open your rtf file in a text editor and you will see.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 AM   #8
schlonz
Enthusiast

Hmm

i have played a while with this but im not sure. Maybe i miss somthing but as i look at the RTF File it looks to me that all the formating on the complete paragraph ist the same. I selected the whole paragraph and fomated it new, but as i convert it's still the same.

I can send you the RTF if you want. Maybe there are some hidden secrets in this file.

ru
Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
schlonz
Enthusiast

wait a minute
i missed the word "text editor" in your repley.

I opend the RTF with word and all looks great.

Now with the editor it looks ... hmmm .. strange.

so i think you are right.

not that i ever thought you where not.

ru