Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #136
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
They are PRC files and they are in a hidden folder. The new firmware hides everything. You can find the books but no Audible files.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #137
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
They are PRC files and they are in a hidden folder. The new firmware hides everything. You can find the books but no Audible files.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I give up. I'm not getting anything for prc either. I do have "show hidden files" turned on in File Explorer.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #138
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
But just out of curiosity, even if I can't convert them, where ARE the Kindle files on the Fire? I had used File Explorer to search for azw and mobi files with no results. I just now looked for kfx (which I'd never heard of), and nothing comes up for that format either.
On the device itself use a file manager, such as ES File Explorer, to look in /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/Books . There will be one directory per book named by 10-character ASIN. Actual book files have a 'prc' extension.

If you are connected from a PC via USB this directory should appear as
\Fire\Internal storage\Android\data\com.amazon.kindle\files\Books , but the contents seems to be hidden from view.

Books with "enhanced typesetting" that were downloaded in KFX format are placed in /data/securedStorageLocation/com.amazon.kindle/Books instead, but this directory isn't visible unless you have rooted your Fire.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #139
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
On the device itself use a file manager, such as ES File Explorer, to look in /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/Books . There will be one directory per book named by 10-character ASIN. Actual book files have a 'prc' extension.
On the SD card, I don't have a Books folder under Files--Files is an empty folder. But I found the book directories in internal storage. Do you know if there's a setting I can change so downloaded Kindle books will go on the card? Can I move the already downloaded ones?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #140
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
On the SD card, I don't have a Books folder under Files--Files is an empty folder. But I found the book directories in internal storage. Do you know if there's a setting I can change so downloaded Kindle books will go on the card? Can I move the already downloaded ones?

Thanks for your help.
The /sdcard directory is actually an emulated sdcard within the Fire's internal storage. I don't know of any way to change the download destination or what will happen if you move the files after they are downloaded.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #141
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:

Thanks for your help.
I just checked my HD 8 and it says

Books, Silk browser downloads, and email can only be downloaded to and stored on the internal storage of your Fire tablet.

Edit: I found this in settings, storage and it has a link for learn more about sd card download preferences.

Edit2: a new update from Amazon allows you to store ebooks on the sd card.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 05-23-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #142
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, jhowell and Purple Lady.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #143
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I just checked my HD 8 and it says

Books, Silk browser downloads, and email can only be downloaded to and stored on the internal storage of your Fire tablet.

Edit: I found this in settings, storage and it has a link for learn more about sd card download preferences.
But things change every day

Amazon switches Fire e-book storage to SD card, adds auto video downloads

http://www.teleread.com/amazon-switc...deo-downloads/

After a firmware update installed itself today { May 21, 2016 }
a new notice popped up on my Amazon Fire tablet which included two announcements—one mainly of interest to e-readers, and the other of interest to everyone. The e-reader announcement was the less important one, but it will be important enough to us: Amazon will now automatically store e-books and periodicals you download via the Kindle app on the SD card instead of on internal memory.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #144
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post

http://www.teleread.com/amazon-switc...deo-downloads/

After a firmware update installed itself today { May 21, 2016 }
a new notice popped up on my Amazon Fire tablet which included two announcements—one mainly of interest to e-readers, and the other of interest to everyone. The e-reader announcement was the less important one, but it will be important enough to us: Amazon will now automatically store e-books and periodicals you download via the Kindle app on the SD card instead of on internal memory.
Yep. I'm surprised they didn't do this from the start.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #145
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post

Thanks for the info. I don't think I ever got a notification. Now I'm inclined to download my entire Kindle library to the card.

I like the Fire tablet well enough, but after a few weeks of using it, I'm really glad I didn't go for a more expensive Android tablet. This thing seems to be more than adequate for reading, listening, and playing games.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #146
BigFoot48
BigFoot48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KB, Paperwhite 2, Fire 7"
I bought one of these amazingly priced tablets last month to be music server. It's on all the time, connected to my Sony receiver via Bluetooth. When I want background music during the day I press Play (screen is always on) and turn the Sony on. I currently have about 300 New Age tunes in a folder on random-play. When done listening I just turn the Sony off and it automatically pauses the Fire.

It's a long, welcome way from the 8-track player ($100 in 1972), cassette tape player ($350 in 1981) and multi-CD disk player ($300 in 1990) I had over the decades. And what a bargain. Thank you Amazon!

Last edited by BigFoot48; 07-04-2016 at 12:09 PM.
BigFoot48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #147
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
LOL. I know I probably won't buy another Fire tablet.

I have no problem side loading stuff, but it gets old after a while and there are a few rare apps that just won't work.

Sorry for the wrong directions to Apps from Unknown sources. I looked at my older 8.9" Fire (runs an older OS) and assumed it would be the same. I do have one of the new 7" Fires, but don't use it a lot because even turned all the way down I often find the backlight too bright and I don't like the low resolution screen much either. Got it as a gift though so it's hard to complain too much.
You're right about the backlight. It doesn't even go down far enough for comfortable reading indoors in a moderately lit room in the evening. It's good that wasn't my main planned use for the thing.
I'll use it mainly for audible and TTS in the car.
It does feel like a good upgrade from my 2011 Fire, mainly in having a more modern interface and app versions. With a 64gb card in it I'll be able to put a lot more of my audible library on the new Fire. I've got 16gb on my HD6, and even that was limiting if I put downloaded video.

There was some discussion of the resolution earlier in the thread, and yes, if you sit and study the pixels at close range, it's not impressive. But it works OK for reading.

It's easy enough to hold that I may not even get a case for it, I have a sleeve that will work for transport.

I'm considering paying extra to get rid of the ads. The ones for video are ok, but most are for games I have no interest in and some have moving graphics that I find annoying.

Last edited by Alohamora; 07-17-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #148
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I never even look at the ads. I just unlock it.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:41 PM   #149
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
There is an app you can get to dim the screen further
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #150
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
There is an app you can get to dim the screen further
I have 2, Screen Dim and Low Light, and while they work well on my older Fires, neither seems to have any effect on the 7" backlight.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote