Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #46
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

the progress indicator is not visible while reading on my PEz (Adobe). I have to bring up a menu to see anything available , other than the book.
I guess that's kind of nice and immersive in a way. I can see a real schism of preference there.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've read huge books that were far too short and short stories that were far too long. I prefer books that are just the right length for the story they have tell -- word/page count be damned.

I only get intimidated by book count. At this stage of the game, I'm not picking up Book One of any series that already has double-digit installments published.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #48
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I only get intimidated by book count. At this stage of the game, I'm not picking up Book One of any series that already has double-digit installments published.
Amen.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #49
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think many people are intimidated by long books. What if I don't like it? I'll have wasted all that reading time! My brain will be full. I can't possibly read something else at the same time.

You see? Not a big deal. If big books intimidate you, my suggestion is to just hack at it 100 pages at a time. Then read a quickie. Then go back. Honestly, if you don't like a book by the time you've reached midway, your best off to skip to the end, and then quit.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #50
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think many people are intimidated by long books. What if I don't like it? I'll have wasted all that reading time! My brain will be full. I can't possibly read something else at the same time.

You see? Not a big deal. If big books intimidate you, my suggestion is to just hack at it 100 pages at a time. Then read a quickie. Then go back. Honestly, if you don't like a book by the time you've reached midway, your best off to skip to the end, and then quit.

<<At this stage of the game, I'm not picking up Book One of any series that already has double-digit installments published.>>

Actually, DO start such series. They have obviously garnered a happy group of readers. Most series pall after 8 or 9 books, so plan on the first 6 so that you can enjoy the best writing and then move on to another series or author. I'm a sci fi/fantasy fan and read a lot of series through, but the last series that I read that was still REALLY strong throughout was John Jakes (Kent family) and that was in the 80s under general fiction.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Actually, DO start such series. They have obviously garnered a happy group of readers. Most series pall after 8 or 9 books, so plan on the first 6 so that you can enjoy the best writing and then move on to another series or author. I'm a sci fi/fantasy fan and read a lot of series through, but the last series that I read that was still REALLY strong throughout was John Jakes (Kent family) and that was in the 80s under general fiction.
Can't do it. I'm an SFF fan myself, but I absolutely despise the series-first, franchise mentality that has a death-grip on the genre(s).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote