Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
mylesau
Enthusiast
mylesau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Should you buy eBooks from Kobo in Desktop only format?

NO!

It has come to my attention from my dealings with Borders Australia and Kobo that some of the eBooks that they sell are only offered in a format that can be downloaded to the Kobo/Borders/??? desktop application, which can then only be transferred to a Kobo, or a device that supports the Desktop software.

It may not be obvious to some that this means that you will never, unless Kobo develop some conversion software or change/add availability of formats, be able to read your eBooks on any other eReader unless it's a Kobo or has the Kobo eBook Reader app available. This will be the only way you will be able to read it - if you don't like the Kobo eReader app, tough luck.

This is a terrible model - I can only suggest you think hard about this before purchasing any Kobo eBooks that are only available in the 'desktop' format.
mylesau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
I've bought 30+ books through Kobo and all of them were available to download as epub...
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
I always though this was pretty obvious. I allow the kobo to sync my purchases to the sqlite database for convenience, and then also download a copy of the EPUB version for permanent storage on my PC.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
mylesau
Enthusiast

I think you've both missed the point.

There are eBooks that only come in 'Desktop' format i.e. there will not be an ePub version to download. These are the books I'm referring to, not the ones that do have an ePub version as well...
Old 07-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Can you give the details of one of these books so we can see what you are referring to? All my books (and all the ones I have looked at) have been available as ePub files to download so I'm not really sure what I need to look out for.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
mylesau
Enthusiast

No I can't provide a link as there is no easy way to search for them and it may not be obvious which ones they are. The following is part of an email I received back from Borders Australia staff today:

Quote:
The issue causing you concern at present is the inability to migrate these books to ADE. I have looked at your account and cannot see any links there. I will investigate this and get back to you. There are some e-books that are available only in the proprietary ePub format, which you would know does not transfer to ADE.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
mylesau
Enthusiast

A quick step through available eBooks, and on page 4, there is one listed without the ePub option:

Confederacy Of Silence: A True Tale Of The New Old South

Quote:
FORMAT: Desktop/Mobile
no ePub include in the format list.

Just how many there are like this I have no idea, but I think it something to be aware of...
Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Here is one. I purchased it awhile back not realizing it could not be downloaded, and when I realized, I complained to customer service and they gave me a one-time refund, telling me to read the fine print next time.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Thanks for posting the link mylesau.
The book says it is available in Desktop/Mobile whereas all the other books I've seen have Desktop/Mobile, ePub.
It sure is something to look out for and could be easily missed if you didn't know to check. I will certainly be checking from now on.
Sorry ficbot your link isn't available in Australia so I can't see it but I assume it is the same situation.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The vast majority of books that are not available for download in ePub format are public domain books that are easily obtainable elsewhere. None of the books I have been interested in are in this class. Frankly, I think one just needs to adopt the attitude of a critical, price-conscious consumer and things'll work out fine.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The vast majority of books that are not available for download in ePub format are public domain books that are easily obtainable elsewhere. None of the books I have been interested in are in this class. Frankly, I think one just needs to adopt the attitude of a critical, price-conscious consumer and things'll work out fine.
That's been my experience as well. The books without epub are usually free/public domain.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
We used to not have Gutenbergs available in ePub format, but I believe has or is being fixed. I'll take a look.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I watched "The Runaways" dvd when it came out on Tuesday, then went looking for the autobiography that it's based on, "Neon Angel". There's no ePub version; it's desktop/mobile only at Borders, and it's not public domain.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
stephenb
stephenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo, Amazon Kindle 3
Slightly OT, but has anyone installed both the ePub and sqlite version of a book on to their reader?
stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
mylesau
Enthusiast

@luqmaninbmore and leighisme, the topic is about books that you buy, i.e. not free books. They exist - links to some examples have been provided. These are the books that people need to be aware of.

Why are you focusing on free books? They are not the subject of the topic!