Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Talking New Cybook - old firmware?

First of all: I got my Cybook Gen3 today and I am amazed!

Shipment was superfast, taking only 2 and 1/2 workdays from bookeen to my home - inkluding a 1000+km travel

The only thing that I do not quite understand is that the device seems to have firmware version 681 installed. I expected the device to be shipped with the latest version.

Since the firmware is not available on the website directly my questions are now:

*How do I get it?
*What are the differences (+/-)?
*Is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks in advance!
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
You get the upgrade from the Bookeen website Support
You do need to be registered.

Personally I'd stick with the firmware you have, rather than flashing to 708 (the latest)...

Last edited by GeoffC; 08-20-2008 at 11:55 AM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Personally I'd stick with the firmware you have, rather than flashing to 708 (the latest)...
Why is that?
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

708 gave me 'problems' that were not there in the previous one....

lock-ups, both on boot and also during a 'read'.
bookmark problems, either losing them or not placing them.

There are a few threads specifically about firmware 708 - have a read through....
Old 08-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
Thank you!

Why is that?
In at least *one* instance, a 512MB Cybook Gen3 has locked up and corrupted beyond customer repair simply by attempting to install Build 708. I know, I've got it tucked on the corner of my desk awaiting instructions from Bookeen on either how to fix it or send it back for replacement.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Gianfranco
computer scientist
Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Gen 3
Well, to give you both sides of the coin, I must say my upgrade was like a walk in the park. Just followed instructions, and voila.
Gianfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
And to bring in another point that gives some people a headache: The power meter. It seems to be very inacurate the first few times you go through the charge/discharge cycle. This happens also after the upgrade. (It was painless here) It has to learn the behaviour of the battery. I was expecting that with my new reader. But to my suprise it went rather lineair from 100-90....40-20 % without a problem. The last thing I saw was 20% and I read about 20 minutes before it went 'dead' I think that is quite decent for the first cycle.

For a new user this is not a problem of course. New is New
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfranco View Post
Well, to give you both sides of the coin, I must say my upgrade was like a walk in the park. Just followed instructions, and voila.
So were all three of mine. (64MB -> 708, EB-100 -> 708 and 512MB -> 708) It's just that *sometimes* Build 708 upgrades can go *horribly* awry!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:29 AM   #9
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
As stated above the .708 upgrade has problems. I have had my Cybook for about a month. I have the .681 build. I am happy with it. I do not think the upgrade is that amazing. IF or IF EVER they have an upgrade which allows Landscape mode or 180 degree turn for .prc files (ie Upside down which would allow me to read MY Cybook with ONE HAND) or other interesting improvements. Then I would upgrade.

If not. I would advise you to stay at .681 and enjoy your Cybook for a while.

Hidari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
First of all: I got my Cybook Gen3 today and I am amazed!

Shipment was superfast, taking only 2 and 1/2 workdays from bookeen to my home - inkluding a 1000+km travel

The only thing that I do not quite understand is that the device seems to have firmware version 681 installed. I expected the device to be shipped with the latest version.

Since the firmware is not available on the website directly my questions are now:

*How do I get it?
*What are the differences (+/-)?
*Is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hidari; 08-21-2008 at 01:01 AM.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:44 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Reflashes ALWAYS go wrong for a small number of people - take a look at the Sony forum, for example, for people who've had problems with their latest reflash. It is fair to say, however, that for the overwhelming majority they go smoothly and without problems.

Does firmware 681 have the same power-consumption issues that 685 had? If it does, that would be a very good reason to reflash to 708.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #11
GeoffC

I don't recall any of my re-flashes in themselves going wrong - it was what the new firmware introduced that was the problem...
Old 08-21-2008, 03:01 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's true, Geoff, but the point is still that it appears as though the overwhelming majority of people don't have issues with it. It works perfectly for me, for example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:14 AM   #13
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's true, Geoff, but the point is still that it appears as though the overwhelming majority of people don't have issues with it. It works perfectly for me, for example.

Too true...From what you've posted over the last months on how you set up your Cybook, I've learned a lot (thanks)....

Makes me wonder, though, what am I doing that is different enough to cause me to have problems...

(which - incidently Bookeen do not seem to be able to replicate!!)

Perhaps it's my body electricity that is transferred to the device...
Old 08-21-2008, 04:56 AM   #14
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Perhaps it's my body electricity that is transferred to the device...
Don't laught about that. A couple of years ago my wife always managed to crash my computer. Just bij playing a card game. After 10-15 minutes it went dead. When I played the game nothing happend, I could play for hours. I started looking at her while she was playing to find out if she did something weird. We even played the same games (They were numbered). Later I did some checking around on IRC and one guy asked me what she was wearing. I almost got angry But then he said is it wool or silk? And yes it was her favorite Angora woolen sweater. Static buildup from moving her 'mouse arm' over the mousepad caused a discharge after about 10 minutes and it crashed the computer
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:35 AM   #15
GeoffC

I was, actually, serious....I do on occasion get a 'shock' from my car...but no where near as bad as I used to get.
Static buildups were a daily (or nightly) occurrence at one of the offices I used to work in, many many years ago.
Everytime I went out through a doorway (no door), I would get a zap into my right ear into an hearing aid; perhaps that is one reason why, now, I have a profound hearing loss in that side and a chronic infection that has lasted for 5 years without cure....