Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Question for Kobo Staff re: 2.0.0 upgrade Square Dance duration

Dear Kobo Staff,

Apparently the amount of time that the Kobo Touch spends updating itself (square dancing) after the upgrade to 2.0.0 is 'Waaay longer than you might think, murg. I didn't time it, but it was pretty long.' (to quote Taming).

How long is long? There was no information regarding this released by Kobo.

So, how long should the Square Dancing continue for before we can take it as an indication that something is wrong?

My Touch just passed 13 hours of Square Dancing. Is it safe to assume that something is wrong?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And, now that I think of it, can we get clear instructions for doing the various kinds of resets.

I've seen at least 4 different ways to do a factory reset, some of them contradictory. Not including the one that can be done through the menu system, which is not an option for me right now.

And, please, don't just say 'insert a paperclip'. What happens next? What should we see during the reset, and approximately how long should each step take?

How long does a factory reset take?
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Here's the method I was sent from Kobo support when you cannot access menus. It works for me.
Please complete a factory reset on the device. To do this please follow the steps below :

i. With the device powered off, press and hold down the Home button.
ii. Move the power slide to the right, then let go. The power light should blink red twice.
iii. When the light turns green, let go of the Home button.
iv. The light should start to flicker white, and will continue to flicker while it resets itself.

Once this is complete the device should power up. Connect the charger and the screen should say connect and charging.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
And, now that I think of it, can we get clear instructions for doing the various kinds of resets.

I've seen at least 4 different ways to do a factory reset, some of them contradictory. Not including the one that can be done through the menu system, which is not an option for me right now.

And, please, don't just say 'insert a paperclip'. What happens next? What should we see during the reset, and approximately how long should each step take?

How long does a factory reset take?
You pose good questions Murg.. I wonder why no one else thought of these questions sooner!
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
murg ... another question along the same lines ... are the net results of these resets the same? Do they all end up with the original firmware level and loss of all books, settings etc.?
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
murg ... another question along the same lines ... are the net results of these resets the same? Do they all end up with the original firmware level and loss of all books, settings etc.?
I think the answer is yes, at least for me. Every hard reset has brought the firmware back to 1.9.16. However, I note that some people appear to have seen progressive regression of firmware versions. Of course a hard reset removes all books and settings which would be synced back when you plug into the Desktop.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
i. With the device powered off, press and hold down the Home button.
My problem is that my device hasn't actually powered off.

It's always been on the squares screen, whether they are dancing or frozen.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
My problem is that my device hasn't actually powered off.

It's always been on the squares screen, whether they are dancing or frozen.
Me too. When on the phone to Kobo support I had exactly this and was told to proceed with the factory reset regardless. There have been no ill effects of this for me; the factory reset worked every time (and I've done it five times now!).
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
murg
No Comment

It's now been 25 hours of Square Dancing.

I'm going to take the risk and try resetting it.