Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #46
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
By that reasoning everybody should buy a netbook or cheap laptop -- a netbook costs a lot less than the iPad and can do whole lot more. I don't think anyone here DOESN'T know the iPad (quite a few probably have one already, or some other tablet), but everybody just has decided that an LCD screen is not for them for extended reading.
But we're not talking about reading here. The Jetbook Color is pitched as a textbook platform, and as such it is less capable than the iPad.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #47
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
There aren't enough people willing to purchase this device when you're re-selling them, and want to make a profit off it. And the prices are going down and you know it. That's why you want to buy the device, without running the risk that the prices are going to fall, so you won't lose all your profit margins!
That's why you want prices to fall already, and use this complaining thread...
Now you are just plain insulting me. I am not trying to drive the price down by complaining. I was hoping for a device that was better than when i saw it the first time a year and a half ago. Its not. When i got this device in hand it was not anywhere close to being as GOOD as a year and a half ago.

I kept it until the update because i knew it would be better. when it came i was disappointed because while they fixed some things that should have worked from the beginning there are still things that are way behind what I need this device to do before I am comfortable selling it.

Not one of the things that were improved made use of the color display. Dont even tell me highlighting because it did so in just one color. no choices at all. and to actually highlight takes too many steps.

Its not good at being an ereader or an etextbook. as i said in the beginning now i worry that because of this initial negative impression that I will never be satisfied with it enough to be comfortable with selling it to schools. I know what capabilities I need to see in the device in order for that to happen and I m not getting the impression from their efforts so far they will be able to pull it off.

For instance open the Grants PDF or the Quick Start guide and open the table of contents. Try opening one of the 50 state reading list books and use its table of contents. Also notice its in FB2 and look for ways to customize the line spacing and page border width etc. Do hyperlinks work within a pdf?

Dont insult me. I know what the device does well and what it doesnt do well. There will not be enough consumer retail purchases of this device outside of what Etaco itself sells to pay the bills let alone make a profit. Because at this price it does not do enough well enough. If Ectaco just imported and wholesaled them there might possibly be enough but they are not doing that.

Most institutional buyers will also turn directly to Ectaco and their sales agents just to make transactions more direct So that leaves the individual reseller with only their own local schools market

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post

However, there are plenty of people willing to buy the device! Look how many already have it within the forum!
Not to mention those who get it outside of the forum, and the russian schools!
there are +/- 10 people here who have purchased one.

The Russian schools purchased them because the central government is testing electronic text books and devices in schools. As part of the program they selected devices from 4 different vendors to test. They were not purchased because they were good enough they were purchased to evaluate what is needed/wanted/ desired for such a nation wide program shift.

The initial interest was said by ectaco to be more than anticipated. then there was a mention of Germany have gone through its lot of what ? a few hundred i remember reading. How many schools in the US have them? I haven't seen that number yet and they too bought them to evaluate them not to start a program over.

The schools I would be able to sell in to have already purchased a number of iPads. I have to show them a value proposition with any device that will compete for those dollars. Its not there yet.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #48
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes I do. The iPad can sit for up to 4 months on a single charge. Also, I don't use it for a month straight (without putting it down to charge) so that figure is irrelevant.

The iPad does lots more for the same price. It's a better value.
Well, according to those calculations, in the Jetbook can last upto 2 years in standby!
In operation the iPad only lasts a day!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote