Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #436
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool New York Indie Author Event

Come see your favorite indie authors on June 1st at the W Hotel Times Square ~ June 1, 2013

The 2013 New York book signing, author event will be hosted by The W Hotel, Times Square from 5-7pm. This event is completely free and open to the public and will feature several best selling independent and published authors. If you want a specific book signed please bring it with you to the event. If you're planning on attending this amazing event, please register via the Eventbrite button below.

We hope to see you there!

1567 Broadway New York, New York 10036 - Phone: (212) 930-7400

Authors:
Tina Folsom
CJ Lyons
Hugh Howey
Liliana Hart
Jasinda Wilder

Click below to register:

Last edited by alansplace; 06-02-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: oops...
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #437
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool About Me - Hugh C. Howey

Quoted from hughhowey.com
Quote:

Hugh Howey is the author of the award-winning Molly Fyde Saga and the New York Times and USA Today bestselling WOOL series.

About Me - Hugh C. Howey

Born in 1975, I spent the first eighteen years of my life getting through the gauntlet of primary education. While there, I dabbled in soccer, chess, and tried to write my first novel (several times).

Out of school, I became fascinated with computers, repaired them for a brief stint, then moved to Charleston, SC and attended college. To save money, I purchased a small sailboat to live on, and nearly got myself killed bringing it down from Baltimore with a friend.

After my junior year of college, possibly out of fear of the real world, I left my safe little harbor and sailed South. I hopped around the islands for a while, went through two hurricanes, and spent the last of my cruising funds re-stepping my mast. It was time to head back to the States, where I began a career as a yacht captain.

This began an exciting phase of my life, traveling all over the East coast and Caribbean, from Barbados to Chicago. I worked on boats in New York, the Bahamas, even Canada. One of these adventures brought me together with my wife, who was able to lure me away from my vagabond ways, dropping anchor and buying a house.

Physically settled, my mind continued to roam, concocting adventures and whisking me off to fantastic places. Some of these tales seemed worth sharing, so I tapped into my love of books and decided to write them down. My first stories detail the life of a character that I’ve been mulling over for quite some time. Her name is Molly Fyde, and she draws inspiration from the awesome women in my life.

My Wool series became a sudden success in the Fall of 2011. Originally just a novelette, the demand from Amazon reviewers sent me scurrying to write more tales in this subterranean world. The resulting Omnibus has spent considerable time in the Amazon top 100, has been a #1 Bestseller in Science Fiction on Amazon, and was optioned by Ridley Scott and Steve Zaillian for a potential feature film. The story of its success has been mentioned in Entertainment Weekly, Variety, and Deadline Hollywood among many others. Random House is publishing the hardback version in the UK in January of 2013.

When I’m not writing, I like to go for hikes with my family, take a stroll on the beach, and keep up with my reading. I currently live in Jupiter, Florida with my wife Amber and our dog Bella.Hugh Howey is the author of the award-winning Molly Fyde Saga and the New York Times and USA Today bestselling WOOL series.
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #438
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Come see your favorite indie authors on June 1st at the W Hotel Times Square ~ June 1, 2013
Do you know you posted this on June 2nd at 6:xxpm? A bit too late.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #439
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Molly Fyde and The Blood of Billions - new cover

Cover painted by Jasper Schreurs.

Molly Fyde and the Blood of Billions (The Bern Saga #3) by Hugh Howey

Last edited by alansplace; 06-18-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 AM   #440
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey guys! Hugh Howey has offered to give away a Kindle Paperwhite with his signature on it!

More info from Boing Boing:

Quote:
Giveaway! Hugh kindly offered to give away a brand new Kindle Paperwhite with his signature on it! To be considered for the giveaway, follow @GweekPodcast on Twitter. We'll pick the winner at random on June 25 at Noon PT.
http://www.boingboing.net/2013/06/19...-howeys-p.html

Last edited by Gazella; 06-22-2013 at 02:51 AM. Reason: fixed link
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #441
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Hey guys! Hugh Howey has offered to give away a Kindle Paperwhite with his signature on it!

More info from Boing Boing:

http://www.boingboing.net/2013/06/19...-howeys-p.html

Gweek 098 - Mark Frauenfelder - Streamed live on Jun 10, 2013

Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #442
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Interview with Hugh Howey

May 10, 2013 - Jon Page, from Pages & Pages Booksellers, interviews bestselling author and publishing sensation Hugh Howey, author of Wool and Shift.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #443
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You're chock full of Hugh these days.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #444
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Upcoming Issue of Forbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
You're chock full of Hugh these days.
Just contributing what I find that appears to be interesting enough to share, like the below.

Quoted from forbes.com

Quote:
If E.L. James represents publishing’s most promising new formula, another writer named Hugh Howey represents an existential threat. A 38-year-old college dropout passing time behind the register of a North Carolina bookstore, Howey has become publishing’s entrepreneurial superstar after readers turned his postapocalyptic short stories into online bestsellers starting in 2011, all without the help of the mainstream publishing industry.

Watching how a regional publishing house handled the rollout of his first novel in 2009, he realized that he could access the same tools they did to put the book on Amazon, for instance, or send it off to a printer. When he wrote his first Wool novella, set in a future where humans live underground, scraping by for survival, he decided to bypass the book industry’s traditional route and publish it himself on Amazon.com.

That decision made him a multi-millionaire. Within months he’d sold more than 14,000 copies of his work, including self-published print editions, and readers were clamoring for more. So he wrote new Wool books. By the time publishers and agents caught on, their deals made little financial sense to him. In May 2012 he was already earning more than $125,000 a month. Six- and then seven-figure offers didn’t stack up. Though he eventually found an agent to help him sell foreign rights (a single-volume edition of the Wool novellas has been published in 30 countries), land a big movie deal (with Twentieth Century Fox and producer Ridley Scott) and cut a six-figure agreement with Simon & Schuster for limited U.S. print rights, he’s kept all the core facets of the publishing business, from marketing to distribution, in his own hands.

He sets prices, determines the cover art and makes 70% on e-books and $5 to $6 per paperback he sells through Amazon’s CreateSpace division, versus about a buck a book or less through Simon & Schuster. To attract new readers he gives the first book in his series away for free. He says he could “live comfortably” on what he earns on his self-published audiobooks alone.

The number of self-published books produced annually in the U.S. more than tripled to 250,000 between 2006 and 2012, according to publishing industry analyst Bowker. A handful of outfits, like CreateSpace, e-book publisher Smashwords, Penguin Books’ Author Solutions and Lulu Enterprises, dominate the DIY industry, charging just a few dollars to hand writers and small houses the keys to a complete publishing system.

“I think this is rating up there with the invention of the printing press,” says Howey. “I think Gutenberg and e-books have the same kind of democratizing effect on publishing.”
Old 07-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #445
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
All these praises must be very intoxicating. I am glad for his success, I just hope Hugh Howey can manage to stay down to earth.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #446
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
alansplace, what a great post! Thanks for sharing.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #447
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
All these praises must be very intoxicating. I am glad for his success, I just hope Hugh Howey can manage to stay down to earth.
He still manages to stop in here and say "hi" to us once in a while, so I'm not worried.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #448
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool A quite successful thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate View Post
alansplace, what a great post! Thanks for sharing.
for starting this quite successful thread!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #449
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
He still manages to stop in here and say "hi" to us once in a while, so I'm not worried.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #450
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool re-post

Since my original post was removed in it's entirety, I'm re-posting the link that was destroyed along with the copyrighted article:

You can find the article, Shattered Worlds that was removed at