Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
How's battery life holding out?

So, now that all of our edge's are several years old, how is everyone's batteries holding out?

I have heavily used my PE ever since woot.com had their initial sale. I ordered mine and got it less than a week later and never looked back.

A few nights ago, I noticed my PE was getting low on battery. I had been using my PE for two days proof reading a book and annotating problems. I had been on and off wifi at home and at work and even spent probably 15 minutes connected to my home box over RDP checking on something. I had read several comics in cbr format using PerfectViewer on the android side, downloaded stuff over wifi using dropbox, as well as surfed some with Dolphin. My PE wasn't, at the time, running the golden ermine rc3 rom yet (I reflashed it two nights ago), and I had a lot of background services running, such as gtalk, FB chat, dropsync, writepad, etc. So it was operating in less than perfect conditions.

*edit* I forgot to add that whenever I read, I click on my setcpu widget and let the edge underclock to 150mhz. This appears to actually help a *lot*, but anytime I'm doing anything but reading, I have to let it run full speed. If I'm doing a lot of annotating, I let it run at fullspeed, as well, as it seems the cpu being run at 150mhz does impact how well the digitizer responds somewhat.

This was my on battery time :

So, how is your EE or PE holding up?

Last edited by helf; 01-21-2013 at 02:19 AM.
helf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
My EE uses 10% per hour using LCD & WIFI; just the ereader approximately 5-7% an hour. The PE is similiar.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I haven't performed any technical measurements, but from just regular usage, I can't say I've noticed much deterioration in performance since I bought my PE in Sept. 2011.

A dead battery has always been my biggest fear, though, since a replacement would probably be hard to find and near impossible for me to install one even if I did manage to find it.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
My batteries are holding up well. My EE never gets more than about a day on a charge, but that is par for the course. My PE will go 2-3 days (light usage) before it needs charging. I pretty much keep the EE plugged in when I'm not using it.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
My batteries seem to be doing about the same as the rest of you, but I do have a spare PE for the eventual demise of one of our regularly used PEs. I'd say that mine which is heavily used is charged about every day and a half if I let it run down to the orange. I'm still not comfortable with the charge every day at any battery level theory, unless someone can definitely prove that we aren't facing a limited number of charge cycles on these batteries. I tried again to find the thread on charging the battery, but couldn't find it by searching. It would be nice if we could save favorite threads... My wife's PE, which has a little more E-ink use and a little less LCD use, seems to go about two full days before needing a charge...

My EE is still sitting in the US waiting for me to collect it this summer...

It would be comforting to find a battery source though...

Last edited by Gerrye; 01-27-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: missed some words
Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrye View Post
My batteries seem to be doing about the same as the rest of you, but I do have a spare PE for the eventual demise of one of our regularly used PEs.
That's not going to help in terms of battery lifetime; a lithium ion battery has a finite lifetime, and it will lose capacity whether you use it or not. A 3-year-old battery will probably have lost 30-50% of its initial capacity. The battery will probably be dead in around 5-7 years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Luckily, the EE/PE use lithium polymers which hold up better than normal lithium ions.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Mine are holding up well too.
I'm using the big edge just a little since I finished my PhD thesis. But my fiancee keeps using the PE almost everyday with no troubles.

I'm well satisfied. And a spare battery is waiting for my edge, in case I'll need it.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congratulations on finishing your PhD thesis, lorenzoens!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Thank you very much Filark! It'll be a year in may, since I had the final examination.
Unfortunately I'm not happy at all with my job situation, at present I'd really like to move abroad (London or UK, since english is the only foreign language I can master).

Being a digital literacy expert and not finding a decent job in 2013 is quite awkward, like my country in this century.

Hope everything's fine for you and your relatives
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #11
Gerrye
Zealot

setcpu widget

Where does someone find a "setcpu widget"?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by helf View Post
So, now that all of our edge's are several years old, how is everyone's batteries holding out?

I have heavily used my PE ever since woot.com had their initial sale. I ordered mine and got it less than a week later and never looked back.

A few nights ago, I noticed my PE was getting low on battery. I had been using my PE for two days proof reading a book and annotating problems. I had been on and off wifi at home and at work and even spent probably 15 minutes connected to my home box over RDP checking on something. I had read several comics in cbr format using PerfectViewer on the android side, downloaded stuff over wifi using dropbox, as well as surfed some with Dolphin. My PE wasn't, at the time, running the golden ermine rc3 rom yet (I reflashed it two nights ago), and I had a lot of background services running, such as gtalk, FB chat, dropsync, writepad, etc. So it was operating in less than perfect conditions.

*edit* I forgot to add that whenever I read, I click on my setcpu widget and let the edge underclock to 150mhz. This appears to actually help a *lot*, but anytime I'm doing anything but reading, I have to let it run full speed. If I'm doing a lot of annotating, I let it run at fullspeed, as well, as it seems the cpu being run at 150mhz does impact how well the digitizer responds somewhat.

This was my on battery time :

So, how is your EE or PE holding up?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:

Thanks,
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...w=1410&bih=720
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #13
helf
Zealot

Quote:

Thanks,
I've uploaded it to my dropbox along with the version of Superuser it works with. It does not function with Superuser 3.x. I use 1.5... I like the older version more anyways.

This is a small widget a forum member made awhile back. It is NOT the over/underclock app for android devices. This one is specific to our edges.

You have to be rooted as well as enable side loading of apk's if you haven't already. Also, I thiiink setcpu runs on the EE as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8f14pe4ir...peruser1.5.zip
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Gerrye
Zealot

SetCPU

Thanks a lot, I'll give Helf's files a try first and then if all goes well, we'll try this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
Gerrye
Zealot

SetCPU

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by helf View Post
I've uploaded it to my dropbox along with the version of Superuser it works with. It does not function with Superuser 3.x. I use 1.5... I like the older version more anyways.

This is a small widget a forum member made awhile back. It is NOT the over/underclock app for android devices. This one is specific to our edges.

You have to be rooted as well as enable side loading of apk's if you haven't already. Also, I thiiink setcpu runs on the EE as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8f14pe4ir...peruser1.5.zip