Notices

Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #46
bshort
Enthusiast
bshort began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 700p
Quote:
Originally Posted by m42
Bought mine in sonystyle nyc. Salesman told me that they had 17 left. No accessories are available. Its beautiful. I love it. Case is kinda cheap though.
I went by that store this morning to take a look at the Reader and they said "they had a couple left."

They also had several display units out. This was the first time I had seen eink in person, and while the display was pretty nice, the text was very readable, and the unit was smaller than I expected, the actual reading experience wasn't compelling enough for me.

The screen refresh was fine, but slower than I expected, and the navigation wasn't as polished as I expected.

I'd like to see an eink unit with much larger page-turn buttons, a dedicated menu button (rather than a ring that you can press on two sides), and more consistency in the size and placement of the buttons.

The bookmark buttons were perfect, and I wouldn't change a thing with those, but the size, the lower page turn button, etc. seemed to have fairly random placement.

Also, the $350 they're asking for the Reader is about $100 too high for it to be a compelling device.

And, the big thing for me is that I already carry a Treo, an iPod Nano, a DS Lite, a book, and a camera around with me on a daily basis, and this device doesn't really fit into a quickly overflowing man-bag without leaving something else out.

-Brian
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #47
bostonte
Enthusiast
bostonte began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Providence, RI

Sony Style in Providence has "quite a few" in stock.

After days of calling and being told they're coming the end of October and won't be for sale until at least November, I took a shot and called again -- lo and behold they had them.

Went and grabbed one on Sunday. Now it's time to cancel my online order.

No accessories though, and no idea when those will be coming in.
bostonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
carryin' lotsa stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort
...this device doesn't really fit into a quickly overflowing man-bag without leaving something else out.
I used to carry such things in a belt pouch, which my wife hated. Something about making me look deformed.

I switched to a vest designed for concealed handgun carry. As you might guess, it's got some nice, large pockets that are (unsuprisingly) not real obvious about having things in them. Now my Palm and Cell phone disappear into it without a trace. and I moved a number of other regularly carried items (pocketknife, chapstick, handkerchief, etc.) out of my trouser pockets. Life is a lot simpler since the change.

Oh, and by the way, I checked while we were there, and the Reader fit in one pocket very nicely, but they made me take it out again before we left.

My vest came from Coronado Leather, but there are a lot of other places that make such things. Materials & prices vary.

So, for those who are confident enough to pull off wearing a vest, or who (like me) just don't give a flip what others think about it, you might want to check it out.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #49
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
@Natch: I like the Safari model, très cool!
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #50
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Totally off topic, but might want to check the Scott E-Vest if you're looking for a way to invisibly carry a lot of tech gear. It's a jacket with all kinds of pockets, and the sleeves also zip off in hotter weather.

http://www.scottevest.com

I bought one a few years back, but I'm pretty small, so it looks like I'm swimming in a big SWAT team jacket.

.: tekchic :.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #51
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort
I went by that store this morning to take a look at the Reader and they said "they had a couple left."

They also had several display units out. This was the first time I had seen eink in person, and while the display was pretty nice, the text was very readable, and the unit was smaller than I expected, the actual reading experience wasn't compelling enough for me.

The screen refresh was fine, but slower than I expected, and the navigation wasn't as polished as I expected.

I'd like to see an eink unit with much larger page-turn buttons, a dedicated menu button (rather than a ring that you can press on two sides), and more consistency in the size and placement of the buttons.

The bookmark buttons were perfect, and I wouldn't change a thing with those, but the size, the lower page turn button, etc. seemed to have fairly random placement.

Also, the $350 they're asking for the Reader is about $100 too high for it to be a compelling device.

And, the big thing for me is that I already carry a Treo, an iPod Nano, a DS Lite, a book, and a camera around with me on a daily basis, and this device doesn't really fit into a quickly overflowing man-bag without leaving something else out.

-Brian
I agree with you that the page turning buttons could be better placed; they should be on the right IMO. But haveing used my reader for the past couple of days I think it *is* compelling. The reading experience is wonderful once you get used to the refresh and if you can put up with the buttons (perhaps some clever person will figure out a firmware hack to switch the menu buttons with the page buttons, which would be a better arrangement I think).

On a different note I have six left to sell; going on eBay starting tonight, so if you want to secure one through me act fast!
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #52
Cutestory
Voice of Reason
Cutestory began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505
Has anyone found any available in Los Angeles? I talked to a guy at the Sony Style store in the Beverly Center today, and he said that they went on sale Sunday, and someone came in yesterday and bought their entire inventory (yikes!). I'm supposed to check back next week.

All the Borders I talk to seem to think either (a) I'm insane, or (b) I have a horn growing out of my head. Either or both of those might be true, but they have nothing to do with the availablility of the Sony Reader...

Anyone have any luck out there?
Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #53
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you try the dealer locator above?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #54
Cutestory
Voice of Reason

Yes.

As I said, I called the Sony Style store and a bunch of the Borders in my area (from the dealer locator). I was just seeing if anyone had better luck than I did.

The Sony Store had a definitive answer, but some of the Borders' employees answers to my queries seemed...ambiguous, as if they were either downright clueless ("We don't have an electronics department) or merely confused ("We have a Sony Reader listed...but I don't think we have any.")

I was hoping someone else got luckier with an informed Borders employee.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #55
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

So nobody with any luck at Borders. Grr! It's killing me not being able to err....read.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #56
tekchic
Zealot

I do have "orders" with two Borders. One I just left my name and number with, and the other I left name, address, number, etc and he told me it'd be between a week and ten days.

I'm still planning on calling every 2-3 days to pester regardless.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #57
AutomaticJack
AutomaticJack began at the beginning.

@Cutestory:
lol, I had about the same experience as you today...called the 10 or so nearest Borders locations, only 3 seemed to know what I was talking about. The stores in Hollywood and I think it was the one on the Promenade in Santa Monica said they have it on order but couldn't give me a date when they would be in, and the Beverly Sony Style said they should have some near the end of the week.

good luck with your search, I'll be checking back with the Sony store regularly and hopefully be able to get one next week.
AutomaticJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #58
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutestory
...some of the Borders' employees answers to my queries seemed...ambiguous, as if they were either downright clueless ... or merely confused....
They probably had just hired them over from Fry's.

I just thought I'd check on the locator thing, I couldn't tell from your earlier post. Sorry they're such plodders about getting them in for you.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:59 AM   #59
Cutestory
Voice of Reason

As soon as I get a thumbs up from the Beverly Center Sony Style store, I'll put the word out. Prolly going to call every day just to make sure.

As WilliamG said, this is becoming a real problem because I can't err...read. Books just don't have the same attraction anymore, and my Treo 650? Yuck. The screen is way too small.

@NatCh: I guess I had the telltale signs of a "typical" new poster, asking "Hey, does anyone out there know the answer to this really-obvious-question-answered-in-a-sticky-and-in-the-FAQ-which-I-didn't-bother-reading?" I really do appreciate the nudge; sorry I didn't make myself clearer about using the locator.

I've been in the e-book business for a while now--I own an original Rocket e-book reader! Now that I've stuck my head out of the lurker hole, I look forward to discussing all things e-book with you all!
Old 10-04-2006, 03:07 AM   #60
tekchic
Zealot

Cutestory, love the avatar image

Luck to you on getting your Reader. I'm going to irritate Borders for another week or two and hope they finally get one in stock to speed over and pick up before anyone else does.

I've now called every Borders (and SonyStyle) in Arizona. Best response I have received is a physical "order" from Borders -- one of those "we'll call you when it's in and you can come pick it up" sort of arrangements.

Hopefully the shipments will start shaking loose soon. *crosses fingers*