Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
helenching78
helenching78 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS 300
Darkness of fonts on PRS 300?

I'm a new user of the PSR 300. I just can't help wondering about the darkness of the screen of this PRS 300. Actually the font is kinda "dark grey" instead of really "black" like what I saw from youtube video/ photos from the web. Was that the problem with my own device? Do everybody encounter the same problem?

The text is still readible anyway. I don't think I'd ask for an exchange as I live in HK and shipping is expensive. I just want to know...
helenching78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
ccc111
ccc111 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-300
I have the same problem with my prs-300 , I'd like to know if the text its supposed to look like that or its a problem of my device
ccc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Most likely an issue with the colour of the ambient light your reading under. The contrast on mine is noticeably different depending on what lights I have on at the time, the light from the Sony cover giving a very good white light that works well with the screen on the reader.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideog View Post
Most likely an issue with the colour of the ambient light your reading under. The contrast on mine is noticeably different depending on what lights I have on at the time, the light from the Sony cover giving a very good white light that works well with the screen on the reader.
+1

The 300 is noted as having one of the best contrast of any reader, often put on the same level as the 505 (sited often as the best). The eInk technology is great, but you do need good light to get that proper contrast. A clip on light is a good option in low light situations.

That being said, what does it look like in direct sunlight. It should have high contrast, and look like those photos you spoke of....... If not, you could have a defective unit. Compare to store demo's etc.............
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
As posted yesterday I had the dark gray background on my 300 reader also. Bright light helped but after taking it to a sony store then to best buy and comparing it to other readers I found my background to be much darker. Called Sony customer care and they gave me the option of a refund or replacement. Chose the new reader and it's so much better. There must be differences due to materials or manufacturing procedures. Even the software on the reader which was driving me nuts on a mac is now working perfect with the new unit. It was a xmas present so maybe thats why they replaced it. Only 3 weeks old.
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert