Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout View Post
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# cd /
[root@[192_168_15_244] /]# ls
bin cust dev etc lib mnt opt proc sbin sys tmp usr var
[root@[192_168_15_244] /]# find . -print0 | xargs -0 grep -i -n "wifi"
I do not recognize 'cust' - any idea what that is?

The directories: /dev, /proc, /sys are built dynamically at boot, no need to search those.
Plus, as twobob points out, they can (and will) have recursive entries.

Same with /mnt in the case where its entries contain the directories already mentioned - no need to search things multiple times.

Which trims your list down to: (?cust?)
bin cust etc lib opt sbin tmp usr var

With a little bit of knowledge of the LFS (google it) you could cut that done further - but that is an "advanced student topic".

Your terminal window cut&paste shows two different, unrelated, ways of finding a file.
Either a file named 'wifi' (not likely - don't even waste the cpu looking) and for a file that contains the sub-string 'wifi' - -

That second is probably what you want in this case.

The two commands:
cd /
find . <more stuff>
Tells find to start looking in the current (root) directory - at everything.

Why use find in this case? Duh.

Let grep search each top level directory you want searched recursively

Code:
for D in /bin /cust /etc /lib /opt /sbin /tmp /usr /var ; do grep -r 'wifi' $D ; done
ash is not Bash - but a sub-set -
Still, Bash is better documented: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

(you are welcome to ignore that I am one of the contributing authors.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
if I'm honest, now I think... I backed up and entire image to MY PC and searched on that...
Horsepower and all that.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
if I'm honest, now I think... I backed up and entire image to MY PC and searched on that...
Horsepower and all that.
You probably did (which would mean the image wasn't "running" - no dynamic entries).

Since you only run small commands on the Kindle, like:
"make libwebkit"
(for those readers who haven't been following - that command took days to complete)

For serious searching of things -
After making a PC local copy of the kindle image -

Go through the image and expand all compressed filesystems and *.jar files into their corresponding file trees.
THEN 'grep -r your_hearts_content' (or whatever).

Dressing up the grep command with a few more options, and it will even search for strings in the binary files.

Last edited by knc1; 11-12-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #34
lookout
lookout can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.lookout can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.lookout can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.lookout can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.lookout can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.lookout can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.lookout can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.lookout can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.lookout can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.lookout can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.lookout can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Knc1,

thankyou for your help, much appreciated.
lookout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #35
DennisH
DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: K4NT, PW2
knc1,

That is some yacht and I agree it is more like a small ship. A 23 foot bow puts it in ice-breaker territory!

Voice recognition is way beyond me. I have to learn to crawl before I can stand-up or walk and run. I am finding this Kindle thing pretty damned hard but I am slowly making progress.

I found the post by Tronar on this page https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...161284&page=10 kept the wifi connected when in diagnostics mode and that I was able to indefinitely read the data using nc (netcat). However, I could not find a way to read it using Python which is maybe a skill issue since if nc (which I believe is Python based anyway) can read it I should be able to also.

I tried various ways to port this procedure to the main system but failed every time and I ended up bricking the Kindle. Got it back thanks to Kubrick.

I see that lookout is making some progress using a web page server to emulate the Amazon server response to the Amazon 'phone check'. In my system I have a small Wifly based server that is feeding a small number of devices in UDP mode (Ipads, Iphones, etc) and eventually the Kindle. It is a closed data system and will never be connected to the internet. It occurs to me that I may be able to set up the Wifly so that it has the same ip address as the Amazon check page and then serve out the Amazon html response page on receiving any incoming byte. As the UDP is one way only, that would cause a short outgoing data blip only when a new device logs into the system which would be infrequent. Does this sound crazy?
DennisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #36
knc1
Going Viral

For you "future notes" - The K5-Touch speaker recognition was released from our support site, here:
http://kual.knetconnect.com/vague-vo...-gui-for-kual/

To cause the Kindle to trigger external (to the Kindle) actions, you would have to send a packet to external hardware I suppose.
But should be doable.

The Kindles have iptables installed, although not a complete set of modules -
You could have the Kindle DNAT (Destination Network Address Translate) the Amazon address to something on your wifi ap.
If the DNAT module isn't included in the system, I built a complete set and posted them here (somewhere).
twobob recently used some of those modules, and described it here also.

Yeah - I always thought it looked like an ice breaker also - -
but you don't tell a good friend that has just spent $$,$$$,$$$ on a new custom boat that it is ugly. (well, I didn't).
Old 11-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #37
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
https://bitbucket.org/twobob/kual-sy...ules?at=master

modules. various.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote