Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
Unhappy rant: tags

just whining, but i bet many people would agree with me: there should be a way to browse your book collection on the readers by the tags embedded in ebooks. boy, would that be nice. maybe we'll get lucky and sony will implement this on a future firmware upgrade (haha).
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi quillaja, if you use calibre, you can add as many tags as you like to the book in calibre, then when you send the book to your 600 it will create a "collection" for each tag. then you can browser by collection. is that what you are looking for ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
quillaja
Connoisseur

well, that's basically the functionality i'd like, and it's a work-around. i don't really like the idea of "messing with" my files, though, and would of course much much prefer the reader offer better library functionality out of the box.

but, thanks for the tip. i'll try it.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What "tags embedded in eBooks" are you referring to, as a matter of interest?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillaja View Post
well, that's basically the functionality i'd like, and it's a work-around. i don't really like the idea of "messing with" my files, though, and would of course much much prefer the reader offer better library functionality out of the box.

but, thanks for the tip. i'll try it.
well, many books come with tags pre-set (books on feedbooks, for instance). but i prefer to create my own tags which are meaningful for me (also that avoids having eleventy million collections with 1 book each). i don't personally see it as a "work-around" nor messing with my books... it doesn't take long, and it's very efficient. i browse my library almost exclusively using the collections view. one of the nice things about it is a book can be in multiple collections, for instance "short stories" and also "humour" and "french" (or whatever).
Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
quillaja
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What "tags embedded in eBooks" are you referring to, as a matter of interest?
well, at least epub supports a variety of different metadata in the file. things like author names, book title, publication (and other) dates, a description of the book, and subject tags, to name a few. there's a bunch of metadata specified in the epub specs. i want software and devices to use it.

it's listed here: http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf/OPF_2.0...tml#Section2.2

Last edited by quillaja; 09-22-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
OK. You can, of course, browse your books by title and author, but I take your point about the other metadata.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillaja View Post
well, at least epub supports a variety of different metadata in the file. things like author names, book title, publication (and other) dates, a description of the book, and subject tags, to name a few. there's a much of metadata specified in the epub specs. i want software and devices to use it.
ha, i see. well, you can already browse by title and author, and using tags you can browse by any other info as well (including publication year, subject, genre...). i would like better support for meta-data on my books as well for some things but tags do give you quite a lot of freedom.

Tags
metadata, rant, tags, whine