Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2019, 05:08 AM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
The Open Book Project - Open source 4.2" e-ink e-book reader

I have found and interesting thread on reddit about The Open Book Project.

It is an open source design of an e-ink reader. At this moment the hardware design is mostly done and you can download and have a 2-sided PCB manufactured from documentation, buy complete set of parts. The author prioritizes cheap and easily obtainable components. The firmware is being developed. The author can run some preliminary software and display text, but that is not the final firmare that is planed.
There is a nice and comprehensive description at the project github page
https://github.com/joeycastillo/The-Open-Book

Please note this not a crowd-funding scheme for a vaporware or an OEM version from big manufacturer with minimally modified firmware.

I tried to look for a thread about this interesting project here on Mobileread but I haven't found anything. So, if this post is redundant, please correct me.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Old news and a terrible PCB concept.
There was a thread.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2019, 12:09 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
There was a thread.
Do you mean the one with two messages in the Kindle Developer's Conference? Or the item on the eBook Reader blog?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know, I thought somewhere here had a thread. +++ Out of Coffee Error +++
Old 12-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There is a nice and comprehensive description at the project github page
https://github.com/joeycastillo/The-Open-Book

I tried to look for a thread about this interesting project here on Mobileread but I haven't found anything. So, if this post is redundant, please correct me.
It looks like the github project only started in August 2019. It does look like a fascinating project.

I think the display is just 400x300, so only 120dpi. Quite low res if this is the one being used. It also has a glass substrate. But it also has a very low cost.

Worth keeping an eye on, I think.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
There was a thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do you mean the one with two messages in the Kindle Developer's Conference? Or the item on the eBook Reader blog?
I think he means this one: Building An Open Hardware EBook Reader
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think he means this one: Building An Open Hardware EBook Reader
Yes. Obviously as I commented there. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Yes. Obviously as I commented there. Thanks.
I remember your comment from the other thread, in both cases you didn't like the screen printed PCB board.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:11 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There is a Slashdot article about this project
https://news.slashdot.org/story/20/0...e-ebook-reader.

I have just realized that all pictures of the reader feature monospaced [non-proportional] font for the displayed books.

Is it because the software is just being designed, or is is caused by extremely small resolution (huge pixel size)?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:55 AM   #10
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
By my math, the screen is about 3.36 inches x 2.52 inches for a ppi of about 119 PPI?
That's... not great.
But it's powered by a freaking Arduino, so I suspect that may be more of a limitation of having very little CPU grunt and RAM
EDIT: As far as I can tell it uses an Adafruit Feather M4 Express which has a 120 MHz Cortex M4, 192 KB of RAM, and 512 KB flash

Last edited by binaryhermit; 01-26-2020 at 06:04 AM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It's a hobby project for fun. It's not a useful design in any sense or a useful ereader screen.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #12
larand
larand , Klaatu Barada Niktu!larand , Klaatu Barada Niktu!larand , Klaatu Barada Niktu!larand , Klaatu Barada Niktu!larand , Klaatu Barada Niktu!larand , Klaatu Barada Niktu!larand , Klaatu Barada Niktu!larand , Klaatu Barada Niktu!larand , Klaatu Barada Niktu!larand , Klaatu Barada Niktu!larand , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Mini, Kindle PW2, Fire 10 HD
This will make a small subset of ebook users very happy. In all probability, it's a subset of users with considerable overlap with folks who run Linux and compile from source. Good for them.

As for me, I feel I've achieved enough independence from The Man by using Apprentice Alf's tools with Calibre and keeping my commercial e-readers in airplane mode so they don't phone home.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
larand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Looks like fun for some people. I added a page in the wiki to hold on to this information. It can be expanded as needed. Open Book Project

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
openbook