Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-26-2015, 05:09 AM   #1
IanSims
IanSims doesn't litterIanSims doesn't litterIanSims doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Mini; Android
e-ink Font: Goudy Bookletter 1911 modified

Quote:
"A few words on why I think Kennerley Oldstyle is beautiful: In making this font, I discovered that Kennerley fits together tightly and evenly with almost no kerning. Thus the following words from Monotype specimen books are just: “[W]hen composed into words the characters appear to lock into one another with a closeness common in early types, but not so often seen in later-day creations.” These are letters that take command of the space around them; notice, for instance, the bowed shapes of the v and w." (Quote from Schwartz.)
Original source:
https://www.theleagueofmoveabletype....ookletter-1911
http://crudfactory.com/font/show/gb1911

This is my preferred font on my Nook Simple Touch but is a bit too small. I have darkened the glyphs slightly and increased the size by 10%, 20%, and 30%, plus a bold of each.

My blog entry on this is available here.

[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Files can be downloaded from:
http://1drv.ms/1DtacnJ

As requested added local download link.
Attached Files
File Type: rar goudybookletter1911 family.rar (549.7 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-02-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: to make clearer
IanSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I would prefer to see your modification of this public domain font uploaded here at MobileRead, rather than a link to an off-site file host (that I can't currently reach).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
IanSims

Local download added.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I'm a bit puzzled by the size change(s). Is it because the size adjustments on your reader aren't fine enough?
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
He might have done optical sizes, they are much different then simply changing the font size.

I believe x-height of Goudy Bookletter is too low for eInk. Best Oldstyle serif for eInk I've found is this: http://www.linotype.com/1183494/Mala...xt-family.html Thankfully, Kobo licensed it so I can use it.

Last edited by GERGE; 02-26-2015 at 07:18 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
IanSims

No real reason and I liked the way the letters go together (quirkiness) in comparison to other oldstyle fonts. The original font has a lot smaller glyphs than others I use at point 24.

Last edited by IanSims; 02-26-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no italic version. Too bad. Without italics, this is not a useful font.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote