Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
amerifax
amerifax began at the beginning.

Device: none
Every Thing

I just bought a ton, a lot, of book from B&N. They are all Nook. I have a problem. What is it you ask. Everything! Did you ever do something that seemed like a great idea only to have it blow up in your face.

Just one problem. No page is on the right page and the "Study Guide" don't know how to count the pages. Just for starters.

I'm down loading Calibre from WebAttack and give it a try.

Another issue, not that I'm up set with. I was already registered as a member of this site. I have no recollection of ever registering. I can only think that maybe this is B&N. Oh well you never know in this computerized world.
Bob
amerifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifax View Post
I just bought a ton, a lot, of book from B&N. They are all Nook. I have a problem. What is it you ask. Everything! Did you ever do something that seemed like a great idea only to have it blow up in your face.

Just one problem. No page is on the right page and the "Study Guide" don't know how to count the pages. Just for starters.

I'm down loading Calibre from WebAttack and give it a try.

Another issue, not that I'm up set with. I was already registered as a member of this site. I have no recollection of ever registering. I can only think that maybe this is B&N. Oh well you never know in this computerized world.
Bob
B&N are not connected to this site, your statistics show you joining here in July 2009 but not making any posts until now maybe you joined and then browsed just the once it was more than 2 years ago so it would be easy to forget.

I'm a little confused about what your problem is are all the pages of the books in the wrong order ? What devise are you trying to read them on.

Welcome to Mobilereads hopefully you can find some help here
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 AM   #3
amerifax

Nook

The one that comes from B&N. The whole book is just plan out of sink. It's like page 3 that should be at the bottom of the page might appear in the middle of the page. I tried changing font size and dragging the book layout to get it right with no luck.

Another issue. I DWL Calibre from WebAttack. It came as a ".msi" file, whitch I thought was related to a Apple system. But I tried to install anyway with no luck. I'm going to try a DWL from your site and see if my luck changes.
Bob
Old 10-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You should always use the official site for downloads - any others are suspect.

I am not sure why you should think a .msi file is anything to do with a Mac? It is the standard extension for a Windows installer program. The equivalent on a Mac is a .dmg file.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

1.Well you could tell B&N to fix them or to refund you - if they have actually sold you a heap of C**P you don't have to accept it!

2. but could be you are confusing physical page numbers, as in paper books, with e-reader "pages" ? what format(s) did you buy - pdf, epub or something else ? ( dunno how nook does "page numbers" but on other readers they don't necessarily equate to the numbers you'd see in a paper book index. ).

3. if you call B&N customer service, please tell us what they say.

4. you'll need to find plug-ins to strip DRM before you can edit the books in calibre, if you plan on fixing them yourself. that info is not available here - you have to google it.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The whole book is just plan out of sink. It's like page 3 that should be at the bottom of the page might appear in the middle of the page. I tried changing font size and dragging the book layout to get it right with no luck.
Most "Study Guides" come as PDF ebooks. I think most likely the book is fine and your expectations are out of sync. Unless you have an ereader that is large enough to fit exactly one page of your book on the screen, the PDF will reflow depending on the font size and your screen size. Page numbers will end up in odd places.

Open your PDF up on your computer using whatever application B&N allows for this, maybe Adobe Digital Editions? or B&N PC application. How does it look on your PC?

Give us the ISBN of the Study Guide so we might verify this.

Quote:
Another issue. I DWL Calibre from WebAttack. It came as a ".msi" file, whitch I thought was related to a Apple system.
As has been stated msi is a standard Windows installer, download from calibre's site.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
amerifax

After all my years working with computers I don't know why I never noticed msi files before. As my office also told me, like you did, it is an installation file. So anyways...

I relied on B & N when I went into the situation, blind, which is very unusual for me, but I trusted them and all I got was a "Pig in a Poke." I was on the phone with Tech Support/Customer Service for hours last night. In one of my ebooks I literally have 4 different page 26's all with different content. When I went into the books I purchased from them, I have 4 different books with the same title that I found to be the same. When "they" look at what I purchased, they say they see 4 different books. I am sure I have a little leeway to print out or copy a single page from each of the books so you can see.

The files that I downloaded I think were all epub files (if that sounds right).

I am not sure what I need to do to resolve this. They seem to think that they are squeaky clean...

Bob
Old 10-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
To resolve it I would
Go to the Barnes & Noble website then My Nook-My Libary you should be able to see your 4 purchased books listed there with a download button next to them if so then
Open up calibre delete the books you previously donwloaded then go to the B&N site and re-download just one from your account, import it into calibre open it have a look if its ok go back to the B&N site and try another one and so on.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, he wont be able to view in calibre if books are protected.

maybe better to delete them all from nook, then redownload to nook & check them 1 at a time

that should help with the mystery of 4 books with same title.

as for 4 x page 26, that is more likely to be a bad conversion , by the publisher, and not easy to fix. Solid grounds for a refund.

but if the books are true .epub, then it is maybe a case of understanding now nook does page numbers. see it could be that nook needs 4 screens to work through 1 physical book page so it will show p26 four times. but then I'd expect that to happen with every page .
a read of the nook manual / user guide could help.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
amerifax

Just a Glance

I take an image capture of the the TOC of each one of the books. I have 5 that are exactly the same. All had almost the same title, but different authors. When I spoke with B&N they insisted the books that I had in my library were all different books with different content and they said they physically looked at each book to confirm. Well obviously they didn't...

Anyway, just thought I'd let you see what I got from them.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: zip nookbook-dup.zip (1.38 MB, 110 views)
Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

looks to me like you bought 5 different editions of same basic book.

every published book has a unique ISBN so check those - both on site and on nook. if the ISBNs are different then technically they are different books, albeit very similar.

I've never dealt with B&N, as they are a USA only retailer, but if it were Amazon they would take back & refund any you were not happy with, no quibble.

IF not, & if you paid with Visa/Mastercard you can dispute via those guys , but maybe check B&N T&Cs first - after you did select & pay for 5 very similar books so they could reasonably argue that you got what you selected, unless the on-site descriptions were misleading.

whatever, it's not a calibre issue, so you'd be better taking it to an B&N customers forum if one exists

Last edited by cybmole; 10-07-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
Spur52
Enthusiast
Spur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
I would take your nook to a B&N store and have them verify the problem. At least then you have some verification from B&N store that a problem exists and they might be able to help you.
Spur52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:42 AM   #13
amerifax

Calibre Looks good

Calibre appears to be the type of program that a person would not hesitate to suggest when it comes to organizing all of your books. it looks like a good platform for conversion and reading your documents, books, news manuals and more.

But it does not appear that it would be a good platform when it comes to a program to straighten out a poorly organized book, such as the image displayed in the above response.

Can you make a suggestion for a program that is very friendly when it comes to straightening out a very messed up book.

Bob
Old 10-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

SIGIL - it has it's own discussion board on this site.