Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #46
wmocny
wmocny began at the beginning.

Device: PocketEdge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
what type of books can be read on the pocket edge?
epub files look best on the eReader screen because they are formatted to fit it correctly. That being said any non-DRM pdf is also viewable on the reader and if you feel like it you can even read a book in word format on the tablet screen with the documents to-go app(should be pre-installed).
wmocny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #47
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunseo View Post
when i look at it on the computer, it is named update.zip. there is no 2nd zip. why? anyone care to guess what's going on there?
You are using windows on your computer in its default settings. For some reason - known only to someone in microsoft - they decided that they would hide the extensions of files which is why when you rename the file to update.zip it ends up as update.zip.zip - the last .zip was there in the first place but you couldn't see it.

Just rename the file to update and everything should work.

If you want to see the extensions in windows you need to go to control panel --> folder options --> view and uncheck 'hide extensions for known file types', click apply and close and the extensions should be visible.

BTW you are not the first to hit this problem with windows and I doubt you will be the last unless everybody reads the large number of posts on the subject all over this forum.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #48
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
what type of books can be read on the pocket edge?
On the e-ink reader you can read epub or PDF formatted books.

On the LCD screen you can install a reader app like CoolReader and read books in html, chm and txt formats as well as epub and PDF.

There is also the possibility to use Calibre on your PC to convert other formats to epub or PDF and transfer them to your PE.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #49
jeffsals
jeffsals began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Were Can you get epub and pdf books?
jeffsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #50
cbcafe
cbcafe began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Just opened my edge I purchased from
WOOT will have a lot of ????? tomorrow. Everyone please HELP. Thank you in advance for being here.
cbcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 04:37 AM   #51
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsals View Post
Were Can you get epub and pdf books?
Here's one thread that talks about where to get books: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142043.

The whole of MobileRead will help you find other sources.

Enjoy!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #52
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunseo View Post
when i look at it on the computer, it is named update.zip. there is no 2nd zip. why? anyone care to guess what's going on there?
Windows is doing this. It hides extensions. When you add the .zip it keeps the original one resulting in update.zip.zip

Open any file in windows, like my computer or whatever.

Click View -> Folder Options -> UNCHECK Hide Extensions for known file types.

NOW you can properly rename it update.zip
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #53
evewea
evewea began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket EDGE
I've been having all the same problems trying to update. If you are able to update; please let me know how you were able to do it. Thanks
evewea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #54
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by evewea View Post
I've been having all the same problems trying to update. If you are able to update; please let me know how you were able to do it. Thanks
I believe I may have figured out a better way to perform the update which verifies the integrity of the USB drive or SD card and has the user rename the downloaded update file using the Pocket Edge or Edge itself. This ensures no gray area as to whether the Edge recognizes the USB drive or SD card and the Edge displays the entire file name including the extension so the user knows the file name is correct. Another user PMed me and I told him to give it a try and he said it works:

1. Copy the downloaded update file to the root directory a USB drive or SD card formatted FAT32.
2. Make sure the eDGe is On and insert the USB drive or SD card.
3. Open ES File Explorer. Apps - ES File Explorer.
4. In the left hand corner press the Icon that looks like an SD card.
5. Scroll down and open either the sdcard or usb0 (or usb1 for full size eDGe) folder.
6. Press and hold the downloaded upgrade file until the Operations menu pops up.
7. Select Rename and rename the file update.zip
8. Turn Off the eDGe.
9. While holding down the MENU and ROTATE buttons on the LCD side of the device, slide or press the POWER switch. Do NOT release the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
10. CONTINUE to hold the MENU and ROTATE buttons down.
11. After about 1 minute or less you should see an "Updating software" splash screen at which point you can release the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
12. After about 5 minutes or less the device will reboot and will be running the Ermine BETA build.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-24-2011 at 08:32 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote