Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #31
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Its my pleasure Kemp anything that can help improve the book a little is great imo. I might just send you the word file actually as the Beyond Compare software can't read the lrf format but you can definitely compare 2 word files. The Beyond Compare is free for 30 day, of actual use (I still haven't used mine up and its been ages since i installed the trial lol) but its only something like $30 and it is a god send for backing stuff up, especially book collections hehe.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #32
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Beyond Compare is great, I've owned it for some time now.

I'm not sure I understand what you meant by
Quote:
it is a god send for backing stuff up
Do you use it for comparing and synching directories?

Last edited by edbro; 02-16-2010 at 03:25 PM.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #33
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Yeah I have a 750gb external HDD and instead of copying all of my downloads folder over from my PC I can compare the one on the PC to the one on the HDD and just copy over the stuff I have changed/added. Same thing with books, although not to the same extent as the files are tiny.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #34
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Got it. But, that is what I have Syncback for. It is more automated and I use that as my primary backup tool for the entire PC. But, I do love Beyond Compare, even if I don't use its full potential.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #35
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CribQuilter View Post
I am in the process of reading this book(only taking a break to eat-I do not eat around my beloved reader) and I am enjoying it greatly!!! I am about half way thru it!!
I saw your review on Goodreads, and I'm profoundly sorry to have disappointed you with the ending. If it makes you feel better, there will be a sequel. Just one, as far as I'm considering for the time being. There was just too much story left to tell
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #36
CribQuilter
Enthusiast
CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
WOOOHOOOO SEQUEL!!!! I was disappointed because of ONE thing. IF you want to know I can PM you!! (don't want to spoil it for others!!!)
CribQuilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #37
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Hi, I also reviewed you on good reads I appreciate your work and your making it avilable for free so please don't be offended that review wasn't better but I did need to be honest.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #38
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, of course not, and I'd love to hear any constructive criticism that anyone would want to give, even if it ended up being fairly harsh. Since Haven is my first novel, there's no way that it could possibly represents the peak of what I'm capable of as an author. Like anything else, I need to practice, and I need to identify faults.

As amazing, fuzzy, and warm as good reviews are, honest criticism is what will make me improve. (Go ahead and PM me if you like, crib).
Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #39
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Downloaded and added to the TBR list ... thank you for making available for free what seems and is reviewed to be a great book.

General question: how does one "buy" a book on smashwords that's marked as "free" ?
Just in case I really, really like it.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #40
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Downloaded and added to the TBR list ... thank you for making available for free what seems and is reviewed to be a great book.

General question: how does one "buy" a book on smashwords that's marked as "free" ?
Just in case I really, really like it.
I assume you can just add it to your cart and do not use the coupon code before you check out.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #41
Kemp
Zealot

Well, in this case, he can't "add it to cart" since it's not free with coupon; it's just regular free.

I want to say that they added an "author tipping" ability, but I've never actually seen it implemented. Maybe that was something planned in the near future.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 AM   #42
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Right. Thanks for the info, I'll go look for the tipping jar on smashwords

I think if I were an author I wouldn't make it free for the whole world, but free with coupon. Then spread the coupon around all over the place. That way people could still buy it, if they wanted to.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #43
Kemp
Zealot

That is an interesting perspective, and that strategy seems to work quite well for our good friend, A Sparrow.

At first, I had put it at, "Pay whatever you want." At this point, I hadn't done all that much marketing. So for the first not quite a month, I had about 75 or so downloads. When I put it to just plain, "free" that skyrocketed. Now, about a month after that, I'm at close to 1700.

Granted, at the same time, I renewed my marketing efforts, which saw probably caused quite an upswing in numbers.

One of the main distinguishing factors of the 'pay what you feel like' verses 'free' on Smashwords is that you don't need an account for a free one. For the perusing passerby, it's a lot easier to just say, "Oh, I'll download this," rather than mucking about through the process of creating an account (even if it's also free to do).
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #44
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Kemp,

It's on my list =) Sounds very promising. Thanks!
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #45
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
One of the main distinguishing factors of the 'pay what you feel like' verses 'free' on Smashwords is that you don't need an account for a free one. For the perusing passerby, it's a lot easier to just say, "Oh, I'll download this," rather than mucking about through the process of creating an account (even if it's also free to do).
Which also means that you can't put it into your library to read later - you must download it immediately, in every format you might ever want, and keep track of it yourself.

I greatly prefer either "set it your own price" or a coupon code for the free download.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote