Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Home Architecture

Prompted by this post by AGB in another thread and sub-forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...36#post1044436

I've thought to bounce off his comments in his last paragraph (and attachments) and talk about, or point to, examples of home architecture that we really like; that we would like to be our own home (and maybe it already is). I'll kick it off (with the right to change my mind frequently ) with what might seem obvious to most, Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater:

So, what kind of home do you you like, see yourself in, dream of (any or all of the above, to try avoid the "one-post-per-person" effect)?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
I like extremely clean lines (should I re-upload the pictures from the other thread?), so that it's as "silent" as to be nonexistant, allowing me to focus on work, nature (if there are any around), listening to audio (music and non-music) or whatever. By having a home that is "transparent" yet functional I feel I have less distractions and can focus better. At times, even getting something to eat is a pain in the a.., so I tend to "forget" to do it.

To me, a home is my "cave", my "crib" (in the non-rap version), a place where I feel at home with room to think, room to let my thoughts wander, a place of work and a place of rest.
That does mean, though, that I really don't like having guests, but I do like to visit people. Double standards, I know. But some people are better at being guests than being host (or at least that's what I tell my self).

Btw, when we buy a new telly, I will have it inbuilt in the wall behind a nice panel. I don't want it to be seen if it's not in use.

Unfortunately I can't do the same with my speakers/monitors. Beolab 5s doesn't lend itself to being inbuilt, neither does my AMD9s (nearfield monitors).

Last edited by AGB; 08-05-2010 at 11:20 PM.
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGB View Post
I like extremely clean lines (should I re-upload the pictures from the other thread?)
I think it would be worthwhile you re-uploading them here, as they give a good impression of what you describe.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 08-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, here they are. The house is named the Ushimado Atelier, as it's an artist's atelier in Ushimado (yeah, you know you couldn't sleep without knowing that!).

The facade is burned cedar (literally burned cedar, with the resulting loose coal and ash brushed off, rinsed with water and then oiled with linseed oil).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60564.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	56221   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 (2).jpg
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	56222   Click image for larger version

Name:	09.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	56223   Click image for larger version

Name:	atelier-in-ushimado_interior.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	56224   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 (2).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	56225  

Last edited by AGB; 08-05-2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

It's very beautiful. For me, as one (if only hobbyist), the "artist" could be a photographer, because the photos and the architecture itself seem to describe "composition", specifically hinting at aureate ratios, tripartite divisions and linear convergence.

Lovely.
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
AGB
Headbutting stupidity

I think the artist in question (the one whom the house was designed for) is either a photographer or a painter or something. So what you see are probably spot on. He (or she) wanted a house which had no direct light (the only facade windows are facing north - at the back - and the front, the patio, has so much overhang that the sun has to be very low to enter the "cave" itself. He wanted the view (and the on the pictures unfinished garden) to be "framed". I think they succeeded.

Another interesting note is that the house, because of the cedar being burned are built to last 100 years. Not 50, not 30, not 20, as many wooden houses these days. But one hundred years. Like the "good old days" where a house were built to last without much "renovation" constantly.

I also like concrete as a building material. It's natural and it has some great properties. This house, though, is different, so if I ever build something like it, I'll probably the load carrying parts out of concrete and "dress" it in this sort of facade (if the local bylaws would allow me something like that).
Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Marc, you had to ask. According to Chris, I have two or three distinct "styles" and if you tried to put them all together in one house, you'd get something that would make a Feng Shui practitioner faint.
For example: I love the look of Victorian architecture...on the outside. On the inside though, not so much. I like a thoroughly modern and luxurious kitchen and bathrooms, and those and Victorian just don't go together unless you gut the place.
The other style is best described as "mountain lodge" all glass and wood and lofts and big stone fireplaces. At least a modern kitchen and bathroom can be worked into that without someone getting culture shock when walking in and comparing the inside to the outside.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I like the character of older homes... cottages, bungalows and barns, with the convenience of updated kitchens & baths & mechanicals.

Before we bought the barn, we lived in a older residential neighborhood where all the homes were different. I never got bored walking the dogs, because I was caught up in admiring all of the details of each home. It's all in the details for me!

But I'd have to confess that right now my favorite style architecture is finished.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
AGB
Headbutting stupidity

I agree on walking in the neighbourhood. It needs to have loads of variety, different styles, much individuality, to be interesting. An older neighbourhood were some houses have been torn down during the course of a hundred years and build as their period "prescribed" is the best to me.

But, again, did I have a choice, I'd be moving either out in the Australian outback or straight down to an Australian lake in among the trees. No close neighbours.

I think that's for the "wishful thinking" thread, though ...
Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #10
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I like big, old houses. Victorians are nice. I really prefer imposing stone buildings. Anything that cries out for gargoyles. I like big English style libraries, old leather chairs, Dark antique furniture, and hardwood floors. Big stone fireplaces. Retro kitchen, mid size, tile floor. Bathroom with a fullsize clawfoot tub. Separate shower.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I like the character of the older houses, the woodworking and such. But as far as architecture and layout I like big open spaces. I like being able to stand in the kitchen and see the TV in the living room. To stand in the upstairs hallway and see the down to the front door. I'd love to have an actual great room with two stories and everything but there was not one that we liked from the builder who built our house - and we couldn't afford a completely custom one.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
A self sustained workshop. No electricity.

A tiny, easy to maintain house. 16by16, three stories high.

One acre of land preserved of winter.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I like the character of the older houses, the woodworking and such. But as far as architecture and layout I like big open spaces. I like being able to stand in the kitchen and see the TV in the living room. To stand in the upstairs hallway and see the down to the front door. I'd love to have an actual great room with two stories and everything but there was not one that we liked from the builder who built our house - and we couldn't afford a completely custom one.
Yeah, what you said! I love the character, the outside, and the woodwork in older homes, but I don't like the little chopped up rooms that you often see with an older house.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Yeah, what you said! I love the character, the outside, and the woodwork in older homes, but I don't like the little chopped up rooms that you often see with an older house.
Yeah, the small rooms make things difficult at holidays and other times when you have lots of guests over, but in our very open floorplan in the barn, I do wish I had at least one small room away from the larger living space, nice and cozy, to do my reading or just have some quite time alone. (And for me the bathroom just doesn't cut it! That's right! I knew you were thinking it! )

For me sometimes all of the activity in the larger spaces going on at the same time can be very distracting. There will probably be such a room when we are finished, but who knows when that'll happen. Our floorplan in the unfinished areas continues to change and evolve over time. I remember the first house we completely renovated, the laundry was in three different places before it found it's final resting place!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
It's very beautiful. For me, as one (if only hobbyist), the "artist" could be a photographer, because the photos and the architecture itself seem to describe "composition", specifically hinting at aureate ratios, tripartite divisions and linear convergence.

Lovely.
The house itself is art but where is art in this house, the art of presence, the tiny details that make the personality of a home. I would not feel good in this place...but that is me, I like a crowded space as intimate as a womb where souvenirs and details furnish the place. There are beautiful pieces by Nakashima that would fit well in that house, a Zen link between human and the size of the house.

Fallingwater has it. It is grand, it communicates with it's surroundings.
When I saw this house as an adolescent I decided to become an architect. I failed and became a cabinetmaker instead. This is why I prefer a well filled home, Wright understood this and he designed his own furniture.

But to each his own...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home architecture